theft!!

I had my kicker bolts tac welded. Yes I would need the welder to remove the bolts, but $25 is still cheaper than losing the whole motor. I looked at different styles of locks, but they all failed if the asshats had the right tools. There was web site that did abunch of tests on the different locks. Most were easy to remove, a couple worked but the one thing that all had in common was they are rusted up fast. SS was used for the main material, but they used cheap metal for the locks.

Sucks about what happened 55. Good luck is finding it.

Cheers

SS

http://app.cpic-cipc.ca/English/searchformboatmotors.cfm

Check this database and talk with the Police and make sure both your motors are registered as stolen and in this database. I understand the main purpose of this website is to allow you to search before you buy a used motor or other property to determine if it has been stolen. But it is also likely useful for police if they run across someone with a motor they are suspicious of.

PS islander55 - I hate to see someone not be able to fish because of thefts. If you are unable to fish this summer and can make it to Sooke we should be able to get you out for a trip or two. Send me a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sucks buddy, double chain that sucker down, I have a stainless steel chain bolted thru the transom with a bulletproof master lock , then also I have a very thick bicycle style chain n lock too. neither are impenetrable but enough to slow them down enough for me to grab my 9 iron and the thieves wont be walking without severe limps...Also try n keep the boat in a well lit area, motion sensor lights are a great idea too.. goodluck, sure hope you getter back.. my fugly boat always has an empty seat if you wanna go out one day just msg me.

Islander55

is there any way you can hide your boat and motors so passersby on the street can't see it?

Scumbags will often drive around in vehicles looking for an easy hit.......

Islander55

is there any way you can hide your boat and motors so passersby on the street can't see it?

Scumbags will often drive around in vehicles looking for an easy hit.......

Good advice. Also, backing a boat tight up against the front of a garage door or front of a house/wall etc.
The fookers like 4-strokes due to resale value and when you add an obstacle to the removing of what is essentially a pretty heavy object, they'll pass by and move on to lower hanging fruit, being the fooking opportunists they are

What city are you in?

Here's what I've done:
-got boat insurance
-installed lock over bolts so they can't be unscrewed (but they can be sawed off with a lithium ion cut off saw)
-backed up tight against a wall
-parked in fenced lot with security cameras
-photographed all numbers of motors
-installed lock on trailer receiver so it can't be towed away.
-hid a SPOT Trace on the boat so every day I get a text with the boat location, and texts every 5 mins when the boat is moving. This can be looked up on the net to see the progress of it being trailered away, or your friends can see your location when you're out fishing. Bought at london Drugs, $115, plus $100/year subscription. If you want to catch the *******, encourage the cops to hide one in a bait motor.

We had a guy in his 20's steal the motor off my boat last summer from our place on the gulf island, and my dad called the harbor he thought they were headed. Turns out the harbor cameras caught the thief coming up the ramp with the motor. They tracked him down and arrested him. His name is Adrien Gratton, and lives in the lower mainland but was staying at his dad's place on Denman, and sailing around the strait stealing motors in a small blue sailboat.

Sorry to hear about the theft... One thing you might try is check your credit card plan. Mine protects against theft of whatever you buy, for a period of time and up to a certain amount.

Oh yeah - everyone who's had something stolen should set up Google Alerts for the keywords of your motor. Every day you get an email with all the results of those keywords popping up that day on the net. so if it ever is sold online, you'll be the first to know.

maybe someones told this story but years ago some thieves cut the transom out of boat with a chainsaw to steal new engine

i would put a weld on all the bolts. To get them off they either gotta torch them or zipcut them with a grinder. Pretty hard to be quiet doing that

I know a guy who lost a jet boat with a brand new 115 Yamaha pump while having a drink in Terrace at a bar. Cordless disk cutter took care of the trailer lock and off they went--- boat, engine and trailer. If they want something bad enough, it's gone.

A friend of mine's a guide. He left his rig in the parking lot. When he got back from his trip, the fookers had busted in to his truck, stole his tool kit, then used the tools to pull the transmission out from under his truck

They're like a viral disease---it's too bad capital punishment is no longer an acceptable form of behavior modification in polite society

I know a guy who lost a jet boat with a brand new 115 Yamaha pump while having a drink in Terrace at a bar. Cordless disk cutter took care of the trailer lock and off they went--- boat, engine and trailer. If they want something bad enough, it's gone.

A friend of mine's a guide. He left his rig in the parking lot. When he got back from his trip, the fookers had busted in to his truck, stole his tool kit, then used the tools to pull the transmission out from under his truck

They're like a viral disease---it's too bad capital punishment is no longer an acceptable form of behavior modification in polite society

Capital punishment might be a little extreme, but how about some Middle Eastern justice: you get caught stealing; off goes your hand! Pretty tough to hold as cordless grinder with one hand. Do that a few times and the word will get around amongst the scumbags pretty quick I bet.

Capital punishment might be a little extreme, but how about some Middle Eastern justice: you get caught stealing; off goes your hand! Pretty tough to hold as cordless grinder with one hand. Do that a few times and the word will get around amongst the scumbags pretty quick I bet.
Having worked in Saudi Arabia for 9 years I can tell you career opportunities are almost non-existent for one handed guys--and there IS very little theft!!

That sucks buddy, double chain that sucker down, I have a stainless steel chain bolted thru the transom with a bulletproof master lock , then also I have a very thick bicycle style chain n lock too. neither are impenetrable but enough to slow them down enough for me to grab my 9 iron and the thieves wont be walking without severe limps...Also try n keep the boat in a well lit area, motion sensor lights are a great idea too.. goodluck, sure hope you getter back.. my fugly boat always has an empty seat if you wanna go out one day just msg me.

last year i had my kicker chained right to my transom and the thiefes still cut the darn thing off

could be a crackhead junkie and if so he will try to unload asap to get his fix....
this is a good start to post on here and get word out , notify and post around all marinas and cop shop bulliten boards.
good luck , i hope the creep is caught.

Parked at the Ladysmith launch overnight last night (Sunday) and they cut the wires to my off-road lights and stole ONE of them. Must have been "interrupted" before the thieving little sh*t could get the other one off. Anyone else have any issues at Ladysmith? I certainly won't be parking overnight there anymore.

Back