The SFAB and license fees.

Perhaps some of you fellas need to re-read post #1 on this thread.

I support an increase in fees under the conditions that is proposed. We are the ones that are the users of this resources and we want to pay our way. Many of us have seen budget cuts to the point that things are going down hill. This is our chance to turn that around.

Last edited:
GLG, hopefully you didn't miss my point. I'll pay the extra fees, no problem, I actually expect it and it's for a good cause, I suppose.
Though when just under half my pay check goes to taxes, along with the extra tax to whatever I purchase, a mans gotta wonder where the money all goes to.
Rex Fisherman are the minority, so we are an easy target, much easier than reform.

I guess I missed your point..... I'm glad that you support an increase then.

I'm agreeing with you raising the fee will just keep more younger people off the water but maybe thats the end game. In England you can fish for salmon too but it will cost you a pretty penny.
sorry terrin.... my bad, lol

I highly doubt that if a license was $100 a year and a stamp for $25 would keep the younger generation off the water so to speak. I have kids and would think that license should stay the same ( free under 16 years old) except raise the stamp to $25. This is a bargain imo for all the seafood that we take and consume.

I'm only advocating an increase if the money comes out of general revenue and is directed at costs approved as worthy by our recreational reps and local DFO staff. I'm also not suggesting taking away a junior license category...but come on $29.00 for an annual licence and a stamp is a joke. 365 days a year access...how many rounds of golf does $29.00 buy? how many ski lift passes? how many drinks at a bar...we have to get real. If we can't get this money directed at salmon enhancement, stream rehab projects, enforcement you won't have to worry about buying your cheap license because fishing will be closed for lack of fish. This is not a matter of if.... its when. Take a look at our friends in Wash State and see how little access they have and don't kid yourself, we are next if we don't do something.

The problem I see in the initial post is
1. When did the recreational fishing community say it was ok with a fee increase? I personally am ok with it, but I'm unaware of any attempt to solicit any consensus from the fishing community?
2. What constitutes a substantial fee increase?
3. What are the proposed fee schedules for annual as well as short term licenses and non resident?
4. Will the commercial fishers also face a similar increase in their fees?
The original post was pretty vague on details.

I'm with you 100% pro fisher.

I got no probs with paying extra, but I worry. Give them an inch, they take a mile.

They couldn't organize a shag in a brothel let alone an important natural resource.

My posts on this topic do not reflect anything other than my own personal beliefs. I know from private discussions I've had that there would be no agreement to increases unless the new funds raised go directly into our fisheries. I also know and agree that short term license fees would have to remain at levels that wouldn't deter impulse fishing by visitors or even locals who only get out once or twice a year.

$75 annual license for residents
Keep salmon stamp same structure
$15 halibut stamp to buy back % (if you think we would get more % given to us by dfo you're wrong)

Keeps it under $100 in total. Raises around $2,000,000-$3,000,000 a year for buy back (assuming 150,000 or so license sold) and after paid back can go into conservation.

I think everyone can afford that as dirt cheap still compared to almost all areas for fishing license. Reasonable IMO

Vic-tory, the problem with the halibut part of your post is that our reps are dead against paying for something that we already own. Those fish belong to the people of Canada not a few hundred commercial fishermen. Buying up quota sounds good but it is a slippery slope to having to pay for quota on all species. And as the courts have proven even after paying for it the minister ultimately still has the right to take it back and do something else with it.

My posts on this topic do not reflect anything other than my own personal beliefs. I know from private discussions I've had that there would be no agreement to increases unless the new funds raised go directly into our fisheries. I also know and agree that short term license fees would have to remain at levels that wouldn't deter impulse fishing by visitors or even locals who only get out once or twice a year.
I would respectfully disagree. Let's not forget the short term licenses are not only for "impulse fishermen" but also well healed fishers who make an annual trek to big dollar fishing lodges. I figure those who can shell out a grand a day for guided trips and often even more luxury outings don't need subsidising from anyone. Not only that, let's not forget the short trm non resident licenses fees! If anything these need to be looked at very hard, because unlike the rest of us who subsidize DFO with both taxes and licenses fees, they only pay the license fee.

I highly doubt that if a license was $100 a year and a stamp for $25 would keep the younger generation off the water so to speak. I have kids and would think that license should stay the same ( free under 16 years old) except raise the stamp to $25. This is a bargain imo for all the seafood that we take and consume.
Your kids won't be under 16 forever but like a lot of kids these days may still be living with you well into their twenties and if you want to feed them you'll be paying the $100 per kid to take them fishing with you. I'm already paying the $29 plus stamp when I take my kids on a fishing trip. I'm with Eastmon. Accept it? No choice. But no I don't support it. The bigger problems need to be addressed first not just a few guys wanting to throw a $100.00 at it and expecting everything will be right in the West Coast sport fishery.

Here are the current amounts. Would anyone agree that there is room for an increase? How about $5 across the board? With around 300,000 licences each year that would be a considerable amount. (1.5 million) or how about $10 across the board that would be 3 million....
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/licence-permis/faq-eng.html#6

I would respectfully disagree. Let's not forget the short term licenses are not only for "impulse fishermen" but also well healed fishers who make an annual trek to big dollar fishing lodges. I figure those who can shell out a grand a day for guided trips and often even more luxury outings don't need subsidising from anyone. Not only that, let's not forget the short trm non resident licenses fees! If anything these need to be looked at very hard, because unlike the rest of us who subsidize DFO with both taxes and licenses fees, they only pay the license fee.

For a resident (Canadian) angler fishing 3 days it's $11.81 or around 4 bucks a day
For a resident (Canadian) angler fishing all year it's $28.35 or around 8 cents a day
Not sure I agree with who is subsidizing who, well healed or not.

added...
not sure that was fair so lets say 30 days fishing a year would work out to less then a buck a day...

Last edited:
Your kids won't be under 16 forever but like a lot of kids these days may still be living with you well into their twenties and if you want to feed them you'll be paying the $100 per kid to take them fishing with you. I'm already paying the $29 plus stamp when I take my kids on a fishing trip. I'm with Eastmon. Accept it? No choice. But no I don't support it. The bigger problems need to be addressed first not just a few guys wanting to throw a $100.00 at it and expecting everything will be right in the West Coast sport fishery.
Yeah that is your situation. However I won't be paying for a license for them in there twenties whether or not they are under my roof or not. My oldest is 17 and in grade 12 he payed for his own vehicle, his own insurance,and drivers license. He has a job. Unfortunately he doesn't share my passion for fishing but if he did he would be fine paying $100 for a license. Yes I do pay for my kids fishing licenses at this point so if it were to be $100 and $25 stamp it would be a total of $400 in licenses and $100 in stamps for my family so a total of $500 per year. It's a Drop in the bucket if you ask me... I wish throwing $$$ at something fixed itself. like I've said before I don't know where the $ should be allocated but I do agree with a increase in fees. $29 is ridiculous it's almost free it's cheaper then most cases of beer

For a resident (Canadian) angler fishing 3 days it's $11.81 or around 4 bucks a day
For a resident (Canadian) angler fishing all year it's $28.35 or around 8 cents a day
Not sure I agree with who is subsidizing who, well healed or not.

added...
not sure that was fair so lets say 30 days fishing a year would work out to less then a buck a day...
Are you a member of the fishing industry? I find the defenders of the short term licenses somewhat suspect, maybe because that would fit their client profile. I also notice you also omitted the non resident licenses from your post? Hmm, something a member of the guiding occupation might do.
I've mentioned numerous times I would support an increase annual resident licenses, I had already done the math myself thanks

GLG ..you nailed what I was thinking as i read his post. Day license buyers pay their share. However I'm not against raising the daily license fees but they have to stay in proportion to the potential time they have accessing the resource compared to the annual license buyers. An adult day license for a non resident right now is $7.50 for the license and $6.00 for the stamp =$13.50. I think $12.50 for the license and $7.50 for the stamp =$20.00 is affordable for most and won't hurt the day charter business. BTW, how much money someone has and how they access the resource is irrelevant. There are likely more local boat owners who fish and who have very deep pockets, so not really understanding why you would single out those who use lodges. There is a president elect south of us who uses that tactic to get people of different classes fighting each other.

Reactions: GLG
Back