The OFFISHAL Vancouver 2011 Reports Thread

Hey FM, I hear the Springs are stacking up at the Cap, you hear anything about that or are you keeping it to yourself LOL JK !

But ........have you heard any truth to that ?

I am going to hit the Cap and QA this Wed and maybe the S Arm .... if nothing happening at least I'll give the old Stiper a good run.

Last week I did the same and broke a hydro fin on her but have trim tabs so off with the 1 and 1/2 Hydros and try just the tabs, if it performes as well will keep it that way and fill the holes, if not back to a set of Hydros (in addition to tabs ).

Your absolutley correct on the river run off what a mess and lots of crap in the water, so watch your legs boys !

Stacked? Damn I should have gone to the Cap. :rolleyes:

Fished the past couple of days off fisheries , the cap and ended today at the north arm. Landed 3 pinks and 2 coho with a couple lost off the west side, one of which my rod exploded on when I took it out of the rod holder to set the hook on a cap hit. Lost the the broken off technium tip , flasher , teaser and fish on a first pass. Also had the panther steering for the kicker go dead half way through a turn at pt atkinson . Landed a nice orange spring off the first mile marker today to finnish up. Hit the spring trolling with the tide just in front of the brown run off, down at 76 ' with a 7 " herring with no flasher . All the pinks and coho were on mini white and or pink hoochies with short leaders. Trolled fast all weekend and seemed to hit more fish. There was the odd bigger spring taken also hope the fishing takes off.

How old is your Panther steering? Wonder why it packed it in?

Fished the past couple of days off fisheries , the cap and ended today at the north arm. Landed 3 pinks and 2 coho with a couple lost off the west side, one of which my rod exploded on when I took it out of the rod holder to set the hook on a cap hit. Lost the the broken off technium tip , flasher , teaser and fish on a first pass. Also had the panther steering for the kicker go dead half way through a turn at pt atkinson . Landed a nice orange spring off the first mile marker today to finnish up. Hit the spring trolling with the tide just in front of the brown run off, down at 76 ' with a 7 " herring with no flasher . All the pinks and coho were on mini white and or pink hoochies with short leaders. Trolled fast all weekend and seemed to hit more fish. There was the odd bigger spring taken also hope the fishing takes off.

Wow !

Great report dmurph ! lots of good info and thanks for the heads up on the gear .
I have noticed to that faster is gooder ..... better LOL , even the chins are hitting my gear when I am stepping on it ! odd isnt it ?
Again great info thanks

Hey gidyup !

Thanks, Usually I try to share what I find out , out on the straight and usually I am running around chasing because thats what i do best LOL.

If you guys see me out there give me a shout on 88A and we'll share !!

I can usually be found on the water weekdays (week ends to busy)

Have a safe one and good fishing !

Hey gidyup !

Thanks, Usually I try to share what I find out , out on the straight and usually I am running around chasing because thats what i do best LOL.

If you guys see me out there give me a shout on 88A and we'll share !!

I can usually be found on the water weekdays (week ends to busy)

Have a safe one and good fishing !

Hey Sir-vivor,
I meant how you like it without the hydrofin and tabs only or if you'd go back to the hydro again with the tabs
Thanks Tim

Tried an hour at the Bell Buoy first thing Sunday a.m. and then moved over to the Cap for 3 hours as the Bell Buoy was dead. Kept one hatchery coho and one pink that was hooked thru the eye) and released two pinks. The fish were caught on pink squirts on two shallow lines (25 ft and 45 ft) while there was no action on the anchovies on the bottom lines (other than for three pesky little flounders on the bottom bouncing line).

Anyone using dummy flashers on the downrigger lines for the excessive fraser run off?

The benefit of the dummy flashers would probably depend on how deep/shallow you are fishing. The less salinated (less dense) Fraser River outflow water largely sits on top of the more salinated (more dense) ocean water. Someone suggested to me that the outflow typically sits in the top 30 feet ... not sure if that is that is the "science" and, if it is, how much that changes in a year like this year where there is greater outflow volumes.

Anyone using dummy flashers on the downrigger lines for the excessive fraser run off?

Are you asking this because you are wondering about adding a dumby or two in addition to your inline flashers due to the dirty fraser river runoff ?
Before you load your cable with dummies because the water is dirty from river runoff - remember one thing about that river runoff - its fresh water. As Teja mentions, fresh water rides on top of saltwater. In most cases that brown fraser river runoff goes only about 6-15 feet in depth. I have been diving in river runoff conditions and once you get past 10 feet deep or so , it can clear up to 20-50 feet visibility ! It will cut down substantially on the light level of course but not dark down there unless you get pretty deep. Plankton blooms on the other hand can go much deeper. I have seen bad plankton blooms to almost 100 ft. with only a 1-5' visibility . It is usually always pretty clear water deeper than 80-90 feet.
Adding dummies for Sockeye or because you want to fish without inline flashers, absolutely but adding dummies because of a few feet of dirty water on the surface- personally I don't think I would bother. Infact I wouldn't want to risk spooking that big Hog (especially if the water is really clear below the runoff! )

I can confirm what PeaHead/Teja are saying with respect to the Fraser run off as I flew over it from the south terminal to Mayne Island this past weekend and had a "birds eye" view. All the boats running through the "dirt"....have nice bluish water behind them so it is in fact sitting right up at the surface. Recreational boats that don't draw anywhere near what the tugs/freighters etc do, were scratching through the water and leaving nice long greenish/blue water behind them.

My panther was bought new in May , not stoaked it is all ready messed up, trolling from the main wasn t as bad as I thought it would be. The brown water is in the upper water colum usually I don t fish as deep as 80 this time of year in that zone but just wanted to get well bellow the run off. Will be back out this weekend , keep the reports rolling in.

gonna hit the west van shore tonight. gonna head out in buddys rebuilt double eagle and try to get some first blood in the boat. chovies low and pink mini hootchie top to start. will report

Excellent, thanks for the advice and input guys! Wasn't sure how deep that run-off went down. I haven't tried fishing with flashers only on the downriggers with a chovie trolling behind before. Might try it next time for fun and see what happens. Going to head out Thursday and try west van again. keep the reports coming in!

Sockeye Opening Announcement Shortly.....

Stay tuned for a Sockeye Opening very soon......announcement coming tonight or tomorrow....?

What is the best local area for targeting Pinks specifically this week? I've got some friends who've never been salmon fishing and I want to take them out for some pink action but don't want to blow a bunch of gas.

cheers

Albion test net got 45 and then 100 so must be fish going up. I didn't see a single jumper in the North Arm so must be coming up South?

A little off topic, but where do all you guys get your Anchovies? I'm cheap...

Hey Bif,
I buy them at the fuel dock at mosquito they have them there, they also have them at army and navy here in langley,
berry's in richmond usually has the best selection and you can size them there too
Tim

Back