The 'New' Squamish Highway-A Driver's Review

Dogbreath

We've all seen the propaganda in the media about how great and wonderful and shorter the new highway to Squamish is, here's my take on it.

First off I've done it 3 times now, once as a passenger and drove it up/back twice in a cheapo rental car with stock tires.

While many short curves have been taken out lanes are generally still narrow, curves still tight and some of the cambers are odd (I'm not sure if this is the get people to slow down or just sloppiness).

The overall impression is of a large cheap job that barely delivers, instead of making curves broad and easy to navigate they've relied on all kinds of stupid reflective signs, driving in the dark is quite the adventure.[:eek:)]

In addition there are only a few pullouts to view the scenery and the best one looks very small/tight I mean there'll be accidents there I can see it happening.

The construction company Kiewit says they weren't given specifications to construct more pullouts and the Govt gives us a load of lying crap as per SOP.

And of course there are still some people driving like idiots I was almost hit by some idiot/butthole motorcyclist passing on a double line I suppose that will never change.

It's all set up for easy monitoring from an aircraft and should generate all kinds of ticket revenue in spots like Lion's Bay which is still 60/kph and always will be.

billreidsalmon.jpg

Glad to hear my tax dollars are hard at work!

The worst day fishing is better than the best day working...

I to have been driving this new highway. The first time I was quite surprised that it's not 4 lanes all the way for the bucks. Came down late at night in heavy rain last week. Glad I have a heavy vehicle. Lots of water, small lakes, on road. And the 60 zone, I have done it at 90 and was getting passed by most on the road.
I also found the lighting to be bad in a few spots, as in cars are going to get wrapped around meridian posts in snow ice. Oh and snow, plow it to where in some areas.

Back