The Hill to Die On - by Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

Note the groups and people who did not sign this, tells you lots about them.

Rather than disparage the letter why not look at the content? Here we have a clear example of a number of different ENGO's and NGO's putting aside differences in favour of conservation. This could be a big step forward in terms of convincing government that steelhead matter and that the public cares.

I did not say it was a negative i was just pointing out that a "do something" about steelhead campaign seems to be absent from some of these major ENGOs. The ones that have a big public following.

I think from the SS point of view tho it was probably a big win to get the major ENGOs to sign it.

If i had to guess what the result of some of this added pressure will be, it will be a do not list recommendation with expanded Commercial and recreational fishing closures window.

Just because you don't see other groups signed onto this particular letter doesn't mean letters from other organization havent sent there own letters in....
As noted, there are no letters shown on their sites showing any interest in protecting Steelhead.
See nothing from the Guide Groups at all.

I questioned when you have mission statement like this but nothing about steelhead.

Raincoast Conservation Foundation​

Raincoast is a team of scientists and conservationists empowered by our research to safeguard the land, waters, and wildlife of coastal British Columbia. We investigate to understand coastal species and processes. We inform by bringing science to decision-makers and communities. We inspire action to protect wildlife and wildlife habitats.

1643150068272.pngOne nature.We are nature. All people, and all species.​

We are interconnected with nature, and with each other. What we do to the planet and its living creatures, we do to ourselves.​

This is the fundamental truth guiding our work at the David Suzuki Foundation.
Founded in 1990, the David Suzuki Foundation is a national, bilingual non-profit organization headquartered in Vancouver, with offices in Toronto and Montreal.
Through evidence-based research, education and policy analysis, we work to conserve and protect the natural environment, and help create a sustainable Canada. We regularly collaborate with non-profit and community organizations, all levels of government, businesses and individuals.

Last edited:
OBD if you are going to make board sweeping comments like that then perhaps be more pointed.. Also maybe not all groups want to be associated to those names or Groups on that list... just a thought and a observation

Last edited:
OBD if you are going to make board sweeping comments like that then perhaps be more pointed.. Also maybe not all groups want to be associated to those names or Groups on that list... just a thought and a observation
It does show groups that are willing to try and save them and know there will be a cost for that.

Also maybe not all groups want to be associated to those names or Groups on that list... just a thought and a observation
I'm not knowledgeable about the groups on the list in terms of their mission statements, philosophies or whatever else, but the plight of IFS seems to be a bipartisan issue if you ask me. I also think that the more groups on board with a letter such as that, the better.

Not trying to be toxic or negative in any way, and I mean this with no malicious intent, but I'm kind of surprised that 2 of the most popular conservation/environmental groups wouldn't also support this letter. The 2 organizations being the Suzuki Foundation and the Pacific Salmon Foundation. I think that having 2 big names such as that on the letter could help garner attention to how dire the situation really is and it would be a big step in showing solidarity among the various groups.

Last edited:
I am continually floored at how meek and mild people seem to be about ISF....I’ve figured out this is definitely a salt chuck web site....not much river stuff or what swims in them going on

Meanwhile......Who gives a shiat about who did or didn’t sign that Sara letter....they at least got it out there In a clear forceful manner....

Meanwhile......Who gives a shiat about who did or didn’t sign that Sara letter....they at least got it out there In a clear forceful manner....
That's a positive way of looking at it for sure.

Personally I still think that the more organizations on board with such an issue, the better. I'm being REALLY idealistic and I'm just wishing out loud here but I think a best case scenario would be an exhaustive list of all ENGO's relevant to BC conservation alongside First Nations tribes and non-government First Nations groups backing such an immediate conservation issue, as well as notifying any news agencies that would care enough to cover it.

Knowing how brutal it really is, I'm gonna do my best to spread awareness about it within my small circle of people.

You have to ask yourself with less then 1000 signatures on a petition, and fractured bunch of organizations with letter is it really going to matter? In order to really get support you need the common angler to care. Personally I don't think they are engaged, and not many of them are going to work with Watershed, Raincoast Etc. These organizations are actively trying to shut down angling across BC.

People don't trust them, and for good reason.

I agree again with what Wildman posted. If this is so important to the groups of the MCC where is the campaign? Where is David Suzuki Foundation?

It speaks more to leadership more than anything. If leadership is posting things on public forum just take shots at other groups. To me that isn't leadership. Why would anyone follow you?

But what do I know I am just a saltwater angler like many on here that doesn't care LOLOL.

Anyways carry on, and swipe away.

You have to ask yourself with less then 1000 signatures on a petition, and fractured bunch of organizations with letter is it really going to matter? In order to really get support you need the common angler to care.
Anglers are a small portion of the general population. Steelhead anglers are a small portion of the angling community. Anglers that fished the Thompson were a small subset of the steelhead community. The fact of the matter is the vast majority of people in BC don't give a flying fig about the plight of the Thompson steelhead. They are not cute and fuzzy like pinnepeds or have movies made about them like Orcas. Sadly, the hill to die on has long since passed for Thompson steelhead.

Last edited:
I'm not knowledgeable about the groups on the list in terms of their mission statements, philosophies or whatever else, but the plight of IFS seems to be a bipartisan issue if you ask me. I also think that the more groups on board with a letter such as that, the better.

Not trying to be toxic or negative in any way, and I mean this with no malicious intent, but I'm kind of surprised that 2 of the most popular conservation/environmental groups wouldn't also support this letter. The 2 organizations being the Suzuki Foundation and the Pacific Salmon Foundation. I think that having 2 big names such as that on the letter could help garner attention to how dire the situation really is and it would be a big step in showing solidarity among the various groups.
PSF is not polical in Nature so they wont be.. Suzuki foundation...follow the money??

Back