The End Of The Line....

Seafever

Watched this doc on t.v. last night. It's a couple years old but the info appears pertinent. Deals with overfishing worldwide. At one point they talked about fishfarms and how these are counterproductive. I thought they were going to launch into a discussion about viruses etc.. But they didn't. They said the reason fishfarms are not good is because:- they use up way more fish to feed the salmon they produce than the actual amount of salmon produced. When they showed how many ground-up anchovy it takes to feed a salmon farm for one year I almost fell out of my chair. They stated that overall a fishfarm uses up more fish than it produces, so therefor a fishfarm does not increase the amount of fish available...it instead reduces it. They said that if we all ate anchovy instead of farmed fish we would actually eat less anchovy than they use to feed the fish...and...we'd be healthier. So...viruses or not, it's a no-go for farms according to the scientists and fish number-crunchers. (Sorry if this subject has already been covered in the farm threads..)

Watched this doc on t.v. last night. It's a couple years old but the info appears pertinent. Deals with overfishing worldwide. At one point they talked about fishfarms and how these are counterproductive. I thought they were going to launch into a discussion about viruses etc.. But they didn't. They said the reason fishfarms are not good is because:- they use up way more fish to feed the salmon they produce than the actual amount of salmon produced. When they showed how many ground-up anchovy it takes to feed a salmon farm for one year I almost fell out of my chair. They stated that overall a fishfarm uses up more fish than it produces, so therefor a fishfarm does not increase the amount of fish available...it instead reduces it. They said that if we all ate anchovy instead of farmed fish we would actually eat less anchovy than they use to feed the fish...and...we'd be healthier. So...viruses or not, it's a no-go for farms according to the scientists and fish number-crunchers. (Sorry if this subject has already been covered in the farm threads..)

I read the book then watch it on TV last year sometime when we where discussing it on here. I watched it again the other night as well. I highly recommend getting the book and reading it. It goes into much greater detail in regards to all the topics covered in the film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. Movie good and book goes into more detail. If u are a fisherman or eat fish or like fish these are must watch/reads

But they didn't. They said the reason fishfarms are not good is because:- they use up way more fish to feed the salmon they produce than the actual amount of salmon produced. When they showed how many ground-up anchovy it takes to feed a salmon farm for one year I almost fell out of my chair. They stated that overall a fishfarm uses up more fish than it produces, so therefor a fishfarm does not increase the amount of fish available...it instead reduces it. They said that if we all ate anchovy instead of farmed fish we would actually eat less anchovy than they use to feed the fish...and...we'd be healthier. So...viruses or not, it's a no-go for farms according to the scientists and fish number-crunchers. (Sorry if this subject has already been covered in the farm threads..)

Exactly Seafever!! That is why it is ecologically and environmentally madness to keep carnivorous fish in pens, as it cannot ever be sustainable. It relies on a typical business and so called "economic" sleight of hand, where the external costs and the areas of ocean and the living of others that are robbed to "pay" for the so-called productivity of salmon feed lots are kept hidden and "off the books".

Carnivorous fish feed lots are nothing more than energy consuming conveyer belts for moving ocean protein from the Southern Oceans and other parts of the world to the rich Northern Hemisphere. It is simply robbing Peter to pay Paul. And Peter has no say in the matter and no protection from the ravenous appetite of Paul!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back