The deep water / chirp project

Sculpin

Most of you folks know I am a ruined soul and have the tuna bug big time! Bankruptcy is the only cure.

I have always gotten by with my stock Lowrance transducer. The newer head units I am running now help a bit and I'm pretty ok with with my sounder for salmon fishing in shallower waters. It could be better with say an Airmar P66 or something else, but I came across a deal that I couldn't pass up and that's what got the ball rolling lol.

First off I have to post this up so that folks are not scratching their heads going "you can't do that". I posted it before but here it is again. Apparently anything the NSS will run in the Simrad line the Lowrance HDS Gen2 and Touch will too. Something to do with the last software upgrade. (Apparently there are all sorts of hidden gems in the Lowrance units and there is more to come in the future).

[ZCk4jHA56zU] http://youtu.be/ZCk4jHA56zU

I came across a slightly used Simrad BSM-2 black box that I couldn't pass up.

The real kicker and ouch factor was having to buy an Airmar TM265 L/M tranducer that costs $1299.00. Did I say OUCH!

Here is a link to the Airmar explanation on Chirp technology.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGtOdRDa-jWE4ltFuP_Hsc6zh6aTA

The whole reason for going this route was for tuna fishing. I couldn't get **** all out there on my sounder they way it is set up now. I could see 40 feet below the boat then black out. I want to be able to see the canyon walls. I want to see how far down the schools are. I just want to be able to see period when fishing 4500 to 6000 feet that we typically do out there. Technically with this set up I can pick up bottom to 10,000 feet. We will see. Once installed I will post up some pics from testing etc.

I have read that some experts don't like Chirp and say it produces a cluttered screen etc. If I can pick out salmon inside of a bait ball then that is not a bad thing IMO. Still researching and learning. I have never been known to go overboard with anything lol.

To be continued........

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow your transducer cost more then my boat :p.. cant wait to see the Chinook in the baitballs... sounds like a pretty killer setup for sure...

Shoot, I didn't know you could put Simrad CHIRP gear on a LW... That's a bit of a game changer, isn't it? I wasn't looking at Lowrance, (seems to be too technical and buggy, from what I have heard) and now you have me intrigued.

BSM-2 is expensive! Hope you got a good deal for a black plastic box! Personally, I can't wait to try the 'baby' chirp Garmin 527xs, heard nothing but good stuff. Lucky I will never see offshore in my boat or it could get expensive like yours is :)

Shoot, I didn't know you could put Simrad CHIRP gear on a LW... That's a bit of a game changer, isn't it? I wasn't looking at Lowrance, (seems to be too technical and buggy, from what I have heard) and now you have me intrigued.

BSM-2 is expensive! Hope you got a good deal for a black plastic box! Personally, I can't wait to try the 'baby' chirp Garmin 527xs, heard nothing but good stuff. Lucky I will never see offshore in my boat or it could get expensive like yours is :)

They haven't released it on either of their sites and I am learning about it from various threads on the Hull Truth. Quite a few folks have been playing around with it. You can run Simrad open array radar as well! Pretty cool. I have always liked Lowrance products and my local dealer support is beyond outstanding. The only thing I didn't like about Lowrance was their lack of capability for offshore stuff. You always had to go with the gucci stuff like Furuno etc. It really does open up some interesting possibilities and I already have the head units.

The BSM-2 module is a monster. No plastic on this thing. It is about the size of a laptop computer but about 4 inches thick. The entire thing is a cast aluminum housing. My biggest problem is finding a place to mount it lol.

My biggest problem is finding a place to mount it lol.

I see no problem! My boat has lots of room for it ;)

This sounds like a humdinger of a set-up. Bordering on cheating by the sounds of it LOL. can't wait to see it in action. (PS I wont be crossing to Nanaimo this weekend given the winds)

Keep the updates coming.

Ohh yes pics please
Nice stuff, your going to be very happy
Just one piece left......... though not for sale till next month, sonar hub.

I have the HDS 12 in my sled also. Very nice unit. Especially nice with radar overlay. I have an armar as we'll and yes you can see fish inside schools of bait. The side scan is especially sweet in shallow water. You will be able to pass by a fish on one side of the boat, see it, circle back and get it. I have no idea how the Chirp technology will work. Would be most interested to see how that pans out for you. How good a deal was the simrad? If it works out I may be in the market. I think you will not be disappointed. Nice score.

This was my old set up. Two stock Lowrance transducers side by side. I used to be able to switch between the two on separate units for frequencies etc.

I finally got around to chopping them off the block so to speak. I cut off the old mounting plate and installed a new taller one to accommodate the new big puck

Well doing so I finally measured my hull's dead rise............I have only owned this boat for 6 years :confused::p:eek:.

20 degree dead rise with a delta planing pad. No wonder she rides so nice :cool:.

Continued.....

The delta pad shot.

The big puck mounted finally.

I'm hoping Mike can hook her up to the black box and we can go test it soon!!!

Cheers,
Sculpin

Sweet install man! Cant wait to see the difference, looks pretty Heavy duty!:p

Thanks man. Heavy duty is my middle name lol!. I was going to go with a super fancy adjustable mount (hence the profisher inquire), but decided to just mount the thing and not launch on low tides at Salmon Beach. I think this thing is going to be incredible. I can't wait for the sea trial!!!

Back