TFO Pacific II Reel (Islander knock off)

jimbob

I just bought one of these reels and would like to convert it to left hand retrieve. The Manufacturer says that it is right hand only. However, it must be possible with a bit of machine work. Has anyone converted a single action reel from right to left hand retrieve using a bit of old fashion ingenuity?

I looked at it for a MR2 and found it not feasible - at least not with the tools I have available. You would have to machine a reverse clicker and clicker stop.

Learn how to reel the right way and the old school way "RIGHT HANDED" you are old enough LOL LOL:D:D:D
sorry could resist!!!!!!!!

Wolf

Hey now...I am a full on right handed guy but reel left handed. Makes sense to me to have the strong hand holding the rod. If we want to talk old school then I'd suggest going back to wire line, clip on lead, stamped flashers and spoons, BIG Peetz reels and figerglass rods that better resemble pool cues. Of course...the fishing was better back then so maybe that is not such a bad idea...

A bit off of the main topic but I am right handed and set up all any reels that sit in a holder right handed but all casting rods (baitcaster, flyrods, spinning rods) left handed.

Tips

Ha Ha Roy. Left handers actually rule the world which is why there are not as many of us as you rightees. Or from a lefty's perspective, I should call you "wrongees" instead of "rightees".

Back on topic. I think that I might end up selling this reel because while it looks very attractive like an Islander, the drag adjustment is not very fine. With much less than one turn of the knob you go from full off drag to full on drag. If anyone can figure out how to increase the drag adjustment I might still keep it and use it as a rightee reel.

Any thoughts on how to increase the range of drag adjustment.

Didn't want to rain on your parade, but i had a TFO Pacific also, and got rid of it for the same reason.
Could never get the drag tension right, it was either too loose or too tight.
I changed the cork, and spring to no avail.

TFO sent me replacement corks, and mine have worked as good as my pop's and bro's islanders since the change of cork. Excellent value for me...quite pleased with them.

There's a reason they call it "knock off".

Islanders are pricey, yes, but you're paying for the R&D, skills, craftsmanship and quality. If TFO address some of the concerns on the knock offs, I think Islander would be in for a run for consumer's money.

I own Islanders. If someone comes up with a better mousetrap, then bring it on. However, I'll go with a Shimano 4000GT over a TFO any day---and I own Shimano 4000GTs.

I think there are real opportunities for the "knock off" manufacturers to improve their value assertion relative to their higher priced counterparts by addressing small issues.

TFO has been making high performance reels for a very long time - longer than islander. So I certainly don't call it a knock off. But, I do admit - if price was the same, I would prefer an Islander.

Right handed guy here too. Although my thoughts are that my right arm is my all round casting arm therefore the strong one that should continue to control the rod once there is a hookup.

It all started for me while teaching fly casting. Traditionally you are to cast right handed then switch your grip and retrieve right handed. It is to avoid carple tunnel. Gives your hands a chance to change up the grip. I say no way. I have all my rods loaded for left hand retrieve now. Guests will complain. They always do. I used to have both on board ( I'm ambidextris ) Now I just have the one. I always say to people, "oh yeah, how often do you fish"? They answer with maybe a few times a year. I say than don't worry about it. You don't have a dominant hand , so grab the rod and start winding. LOL

HL

Another thing to consider if you are right handed is that if you have to net the fish yourself, it is easier to hold the rod with your strong arm (right) and use the net with your left without having to pass the rod back and forth fpr the net, in the last few seconds that you are fighting the fish........ SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Ha, Craven, did I buy mine from you? ;-)

I have found same problem ... they have really nice action, but the drag is super sensitive. One eighth turn too tight and rigger pops, one eighth turn too loose and it birds nests. I find I know it well enough that I can use it without problem but it's one that you have be careful to not hand off to a newbie on the boat. Hassles will abound.

I contacted TFO about it, and they said there's a modification to a wider cork. I emailed them back in 2010 about it, here's what they said....I didn't pursue it, but might some day if I get around to it.

We have a new drag gear with a larger diameter drag surface that will solve the problem. Please send us your reel and we will check it over and install the new gear. The cost should be under $50 assuming everything else is in order. The new gear has 2" dia. cork, the old gear is 1 1/2"

Our address is;

Springbrook Mfg.
3809 9th Street S.E.
Calgary, Ab
T2G 3C7

info@springbrook.ca

most reels that can be flipped from wrong to left, have 3 holes, one the pawl goes on, the other the spring (i think from memory) and a spare. You need to to flip the works to go from wrong to left. If you could take a picture of inside with the pawl and spring in place I can comment easier...Guessing though, you are missing the spare hole, easy to add if their is meat there....

I have two TFOs and have never had a problem with them. I put some Shimano paddle handles on them which is perfect. My buddy has MR3s and he is always impressed with the smoothness of the drag when he catches a fish on my reels. Funny thing I saw yesterday was a guy fishing with MR3s reeling backwards with the reel facing up. Whatever turns your crank I guess.

Back