Taxes due on a used boat

Don't screw around nonpaying..I paid on time and there was amount they claimed owing when I insured trailer...They threatened to re-assess the amount within 20 days if I did pay 18.00 owing....

Whatever I paid the mafia there money.

Hmmmm. If you requested a new registration number because it was now an Alberta boat would that satisfy BC for a tax exemption? Each province has their own registration numbers starting with abbreviation for province. Probably have to register trailer there as well......

Think it only works if the boat leaves the Province and or is primarily used outside the Procince. Seems to me a couple of boat dealers in Kelowna got nailed for not collecting taxes when selling boats to Albertans that stayed at their BC summer places. I would be carefull. I paid up for the peace of mind, it was worth it for me.

Isn't awesome how JP and the auto dealers lobbied government and now were stuck with this 12% tax.

I so loved how when the HST went away they put a loophole in there to squeak this 12% in under a separate rule so it could remain in place... It's brutal to be paying 12% over and over for used things...Total crash grab.

So from what other posters have posted on this thread, I have a tax bill to look forward to in about three yrs or less! Glad I kept all the pertinent papers ( receipts, regristration, transfer papers etc) related to the purchase of my boat. Good info here to know. Luckily for me the previous owners put much less on the bill of sale then what I actually paid. Oops did I just say that ? Take that Chrusty Cluck and your cronies...

So from what other posters have posted on this thread, I have a tax bill to look forward to in about three yrs or less! Glad I kept all the pertinent papers ( receipts, regristration, transfer papers etc) related to the purchase of my boat. Good info here to know. Luckily for me the previous owners put much less on the bill of sale then what I actually paid. Oops did I just say that ? Take that Chrusty Cluck and your cronies...

I would pay what you owe now..You don't want them coming after you and doing an assessment based on what they consider market value..

When you get your tax invoice it will be signed by a person you can contact via phone or e-mail. The person who sent me mine was very helpful when I called him to state their assessment was not accurate as to the amount I paid for the boat. I scanned my bill of sale and e-mailed it to him and got an amended tax invoice e-mailed to me the same day reflecting taxes owing based on the bill of sale. He even went so far as to look at ICBC records for the trailer transfer so the declared amount for the trailer could be deducted from the tax owing on the boat.

Good to know..I can see with people not paying right away that this will be abolished soon. Truthfully I would have rather done it all at once when I insure my trailer..Maybe ICBC should just collect it at all that point.. That will force people to pay upfront. Truthfully we are just paying more for a team of people to chase down these taxes...

Its sounds great if you kept your bill of sale..But what if you don't? Big bill..

Last edited by a moderator:
You better keep your bill of sale. It really is the only document that proves ownership. The registration form you get with your registration numbers clearly states that it is not proof of ownership. I carry both the registration documents and the bill of sale on my boat.

You have to have the boat delivered to an Alberta location or address. The dealer will get nailed otherwise. If the boat goes back to BC and stays there then it has to be registered as such.

Think it only works if the boat leaves the Province and or is primarily used outside the Procince. Seems to me a couple of boat dealers in Kelowna got nailed for not collecting taxes when selling boats to Albertans that stayed at their BC summer places. I would be carefull. I paid up for the peace of mind, it was worth it for me.

The guy who dealt with me contacted the guy I bought the boat off of from the trailer transfer. Turns out they took his word on how much I paid for the boat and then I was due a refund of around $140. It's funny that they don't take my word on how much I paid for the boat and sent me some money back.

Back