Tax man knocking

JDR

Just got a notice from the tax man,14 months after boat purchase. wants there money.what if I dont pay them. I think this is a rip, boat when bought newhad all taxes paid, why should we have to pay again. And if i sell it the next owner pays, on and on.

Did you license your boat with Service Canada ?
that move seems to be the determining factor as to whether
or not a tax bill is pending.
They seem to have all their bases covered.

If you don't pay by the due date, they will charge interest from the time of boat purchase, so you pay them now or pay them more later.

Had same problem with both boats I imported. The feds collect the taxes (both) when you bring in the boat at the border, but the province has no way to know you already paid. Left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. I sent them a fax copy of the paid taxes, thinking that would clear it up. Nope. They called back looking for proof I paid....lost it and told them if they wanted it twice they were more than welcome to take me to court - i wanted the opportunity to tell a judge just how stupid they were....click. Hello...are you still there? Suggest you try that approach.

I bought my last used boat a few months before the HST kicked in and did the transfer with the Feds . I had not yet received a request to pay the Prov. Sales tax (PST) but decided to go down and pay it anyway a couple of days before the HST kicked in as I did not want any issues about paying the extra HST money.

It was busy when I was paying as a lot of people were buying used boats/trying to complete sales fast and pay before the HST kicked in. I understand on some used boats you could save thousands in new taxes. Something to consider when the HST referendum comes around.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to purchases for business the HST saves you money as all 12% is an input tax`credit. The old way you could only claim 5% as a input credit and then the other 7% was just an expense. That is the good side of the HST for me the bad side is the loop hole that allows some people in business to not charge it. That is unfair.

A few years ago I bought a 21 campion fishing machine that was rotten for $1500.It was a broker deal through Port Boat House so no tax was paid.I rebuilt the stringers,transom,floor,etc.6 months later I got a tax bill on a boat that they assesed at $22000.00 A lot of phone calls and almost a lawyer later they figured it out

JDR HERE,went down to service can. to pay my tax on my campion.they dont do it anymore nor do they register boats. Well I ask where do I pay the tax. Dont know. go home ,phone the # on my form, it is on 1802 douglas. bring proof of purchase and price. this was a year ago, hade it in boat and got wet so tossed it . any ways found some papers of agreement for sale and price going to go and pay. Govt for you ,dont know whet the H is going on just want your money. So where do you now reg. your boat. Oh yah cash or check only.

Back