Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

Just left the clubhouse after watching a small crew trying for the first Tyee during this lovely evening.
Alas, although we had a brief moment of excitement when one of the boats pulled out with a fish on, it all came to naught as after netting it a close look certified it was not a Tyee, so it was released. Don't know if anything else happened, but I haven't heard the bell ring.
Not very good tides these evenings but they get better as the week moves along, looking ahead.
Here are a few quick shots from earlier.

The small pack seemed divided between those fishing the north end, off the bar, and those favoring the south end, around the mooring buoy.
Here are a few of the northern crew.
View attachment 83286
And here are a few southern boats, rowing uphill from the looks of it. LOL
View attachment 83287

Don't have the story on this neat looking mailbox, but it's highly illegal, having two treble hooks on it.
Fishy looking, thoughView attachment 83288

On a totally unrelated to fishing note, here's a photo of Brad Aumen in the winners circle last Friday night at Penticton Speedway, where he won the Main Event driving my pals winged sprint car. This is a new car and Brad, son of Hall Of Fame racer Scott Aumen, is leading the points race in the new Northwest Sprint Tour. On Saturday night he came second in the Main, being narrowly edged out for the win. My friend of 60 years, Tom Turner, is the car owner and extremely delighted at how well they are doing this year.
I am too. Tom in khaki shorts in back of photo. I want to get him a Tyee so bad..............
View attachment 83289

Awesome driver right there.

Take care.

With what was shaping up to be a lovely evening in the pool just ahead I decided to call my lucky charm rod-holder and ask him to be my first victim of the season, and he agreed.

When I say lucky charm I am referring to the fact that four years ago, when I took him out for the first time, we got a fish.
It was not a Tyee but he was pleased as could be, as was I.
Two years went by before I took him out again, meaning last year, and we hooked up again. It came off close to the boat so doesn't count as caught, but two trips and two hook-ups isn't bad.

I figured I should try him again, and based on the fact that on this date last year three Tyee were registered, I had a good feeling.
So out we went and joined the other hopefuls already out and spaced along the whole pool, some facing one way, others the opposite.
We made a couple of passes at the north end and then did the obligatory (in my boat) once around the mooring buoy at the south end and then got half-way back before deciding the plug was working much better heading south, against the tiny ebb, so that's the way we were facing just minutes after the Sun went behind the trees and what I call the "magic time" started.

It didn't take long before Merv reared back and set the hook into what turned out to be a really hard-fighting Chinook.
I must confess to being slightly taken aback as I pulled hard and yelled FISH ON, always a bit of a thrill. This was Merv's third time out with me and the third fish he'd hooked with me.
After a good 15 minutes of give and take we finally got a look at the fish in the water, albeit at a distance, and it looked good.
Could this actually be the first Tyee of the season and was Merv going to be the newest member of the Tyee Club of BC?
I was very hopeful that both of those wishes would come to be.

A few more minutes passed and the fish would not come in, making three or four strong runs, each one masterfully handled by Merv until slowly he started to gain the upper hand.
As we got a better look at it we were still unsure if it would be big enough to make it, but hoped it would.
It certainly looked promising in the water, and the strength it showed along with the length of fight gave us even more hope.

Alas, once in the net it seemed a smidge too short to make 30 lbs. and this was confirmed when it was found to be but 37 inches long and weighed a little over 27 pounds on the scale.
Two more inches and it would have been 30 easily, being a fat and healthy looking fish in excellent condition.

Here are a couple of hastily taken photos showing my lucky charm rod-holder, Merv Monks, and his close but no cigar fish hanging from the scale.
RSCN7417.JPG
Here's the fish sliming up the bottom of my nice clean boat, which led to my slipping while trying to get in the boat to go back to the dock, almost falling out of it while losing my hat into the water, to which my sunglasses had been clinging until they fell off and disappeared, lost forever.
Thank goodness nobody was video-taping that.
That plug is an old Lucky Louie shovel-nose plug that has been one of my two favorites the past few years, and it scored again.
DSCN7412.JPG

And here's the happy angler running us to the clubhouse so we could weigh our catch in, although we were now convinced it was a smidge too short to make 30 pounds.
DSCN7413.JPG

So there you have it, first time out this season on a beautiful calm evening and with a fellow who now is convinced that I'm the best rower ever, and we haven't even got a Tyee yet.
My shin is sore from shin-hacking myself trying to not fall out of the boat. My boat has slime and blood in it. I can feel a wee soreness in some muscles that haven't been used much recently and I think I smell a bit too.

But damn, what a neat way to start off my season.

Take care.

With what was shaping up to be a lovely evening in the pool just ahead I decided to call my lucky charm rod-holder and ask him to be my first victim of the season, and he agreed.

When I say lucky charm I am referring to the fact that four years ago, when I took him out for the first time, we got a fish.
It was not a Tyee but he was pleased as could be, as was I.
Two years went by before I took him out again, meaning last year, and we hooked up again. It came off close to the boat so doesn't count as caught, but two trips and two hook-ups isn't bad.

I figured I should try him again, and based on the fact that on this date last year three Tyee were registered, I had a good feeling.
So out we went and joined the other hopefuls already out and spaced along the whole pool, some facing one way, others the opposite.
We made a couple of passes at the north end and then did the obligatory (in my boat) once around the mooring buoy at the south end and then got half-way back before deciding the plug was working much better heading south, against the tiny ebb, so that's the way we were facing just minutes after the Sun went behind the trees and what I call the "magic time" started.

It didn't take long before Merv reared back and set the hook into what turned out to be a really hard-fighting Chinook.
I must confess to being slightly taken aback as I pulled hard and yelled FISH ON, always a bit of a thrill. This was Merv's third time out with me and the third fish he'd hooked with me.
After a good 15 minutes of give and take we finally got a look at the fish in the water, albeit at a distance, and it looked good.
Could this actually be the first Tyee of the season and was Merv going to be the newest member of the Tyee Club of BC?
I was very hopeful that both of those wishes would come to be.

A few more minutes passed and the fish would not come in, making three or four strong runs, each one masterfully handled by Merv until slowly he started to gain the upper hand.
As we got a better look at it we were still unsure if it would be big enough to make it, but hoped it would.
It certainly looked promising in the water, and the strength it showed along with the length of fight gave us even more hope.

Alas, once in the net it seemed a smidge too short to make 30 lbs. and this was confirmed when it was found to be but 37 inches long and weighed a little over 27 pounds on the scale.
Two more inches and it would have been 30 easily, being a fat and healthy looking fish in excellent condition.

Here are a couple of hastily taken photos showing my lucky charm rod-holder, Merv Monks, and his close but no cigar fish hanging from the scale.
View attachment 83370
Here's the fish sliming up the bottom of my nice clean boat, which led to my slipping while trying to get in the boat to go back to the dock, almost falling out of it while losing my hat into the water, to which my sunglasses had been clinging until they fell off and disappeared, lost forever.
Thank goodness nobody was video-taping that.
That plug is an old Lucky Louie shovel-nose plug that has been one of my two favorites the past few years, and it scored again.
View attachment 83371

And here's the happy angler running us to the clubhouse so we could weigh our catch in, although we were now convinced it was a smidge too short to make 30 pounds.
View attachment 83372

So there you have it, first time out this season on a beautiful calm evening and with a fellow who now is convinced that I'm the best rower ever, and we haven't even got a Tyee yet.
My shin is sore from shin-hacking myself trying to not fall out of the boat. My boat has slime and blood in it. I can feel a wee soreness in some muscles that haven't been used much recently and I think I smell a bit too.

But damn, what a neat way to start off my season.

Take care.

One of my favourite posts of all time! I was scrolling down reading the fight and I couldn’t help but see the pic of the scale coming into the screen and I thought, NO WAY! THIS IS IT!! Sadly just a bit light, but man that’s still a heck of a fish! Sorry about your shin and sunglasses too.
Thanks for the thread Dave!

Terrific thread once again Dave, so many of us look forward to hearing the stories and experiences.
sure wish I could partake in this, and it's the only time I wish I lived closer lol. (Dam Ferry system).

congrats on your catch Dave, I think this year is going to be YOURS!

Go get em! And thanks again for your reports and stories. Best of luck to you out there.

Rubber mat for the floor ?

Ironically, when I first started rowing I had several pieces of interlocking rubber matting that I fit in the boat but found it to be more of a PITA than it was worth, as it came apart easily plus made it harder to pump the boat out after rain etc.
Trying to simplify things I did away with that a few years back and usually have no problem, plus I normally wear gum-boots when rowing, except for last night when I neglected to change footwear so had my old sneakers on.
With them both wet from my having to step in the water to get out and steady the boat, plus the fresh slime in the boat, it was an accident waiting to happen............in hindsight.

I will use your comment positively and buy a shower type rubber mat and try that out.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate it.

Take care.

Nothing new to report this morning and we still are looking for the first Tyee of the season.

Last evening had me rowing one of my favorite couples, Owen and Laura, but despite a magnificent display of rowing skills involving techniques seldom witnessed in the pool before, we endured no strikes.
It appeared no other boats were pestered by fish either as we saw no boats row out with a fish on during our efforts, and no fish were weighed in.

We were witness to a rather spectacular pyrotechnics display from Ma Nature though, with the sky lighting up far off and away, so far that only once or twice did we hear muffled thunder.
Pretty neat to watch from a boat as we had a clear view.
We managed to get off the water just as the first tentative raindrops fell so didn't get wet from our activities, plus I managed the night without falling in.

We did have to make a pit stop at the clubhouse as my body was communicating to me that I had best go ashore and use the nice new bathroom attached to the clubhouse, or else.
After returning to the fleet and assuming our trolling posture the lovely Patty B. asked if we "had taken a fish in"?
"No," I replied. "I had taken a poop in."

It got a few laughs, as did the fish brought in this morning.
Bob said it was an eight or nine pounder, which would be the smallest one I've heard of being caught in the pool.

Anyway, we are five or six Tyee behind this time last year but as anglers we always have hope the next tide will bring the first good influx of that which we seek. They have to show up sooner or later.

Last resort remains the ancient plea: "Here fishy fishy. Here fishy fishy."

Take care.

From what I can tell from the south coast this year has not been that good for chinook. Attest for bigger chinook. Ive been holding off saying this but it seems this way to me anyways.

Nothing new to report this morning and we still are looking for the first Tyee of the season.

Last evening had me rowing one of my favorite couples, Owen and Laura, but despite a magnificent display of rowing skills involving techniques seldom witnessed in the pool before, we endured no strikes.
It appeared no other boats were pestered by fish either as we saw no boats row out with a fish on during our efforts, and no fish were weighed in.

We were witness to a rather spectacular pyrotechnics display from Ma Nature though, with the sky lighting up far off and away, so far that only once or twice did we hear muffled thunder.
We managed to get off the water just as the first tentative raindrops fell so didn't get wet from our activities, plus I managed the night without falling in.

We did have to make a pit stop at the clubhouse as my body was communicating to me that I had best go ashore and use the nice new bathroom attached to the clubhouse, or else.
After returning to the fleet and assuming our trolling posture the lovely Patty B. asked if we "had taken a fish in"?

Bob said it was an eight or nine pounder, which would be the smallest one I've heard of being caught in the pool.

Anyway, we are five or six Tyee behind this time last year but as anglers we always have hope the next tide will bring the first good influx of that which we seek. They have to show up sooner or later.

Take care.
It works!!!

I think that is what is referred to as

Take care.
I think that is referred to as doing a luongo

Yesterday two fellows who are working on a documentary about the Tyee Club of BC and the spectrum of characters involved in rowing for Tyee arrived back in town to meet a few stalwarts, historians, famous rowers, hugely successful rowers and such-like.

Instead, they ended up with me.

We set up a scenario where I would be sitting in the rowers seat and answer a few questions based on what and how does a rower prepare before going out with rod-holders at the ready.
Naturally, I waxed eloquently on the topic, pointing out my gum-boots, my floater coat, the basket of weights, pliers and a priest at hand, the tote with my floating throwing line, my floating flashlight, my whistle and a few other things sure to be handy in any emergency.
I then demonstrated how a rod-holder should hold the rod, let out line, do a weed check and a few other subtleties not to be shared in a public forum, and then we noticed it was slowly getting darker as the Sun was sliding away behind the tree-line.

No worries, we scrunched the tripod with camera, a couple of back-packs, two large men and the rod I'd used for demonstration purposes into my boat, then motored out to the pool.
The plan was for me to row around, show a few of the markers we rowers use to guide ourselves, point out some notable names and generally try to capture on video as much of the experience as was possible, without actually fishing ourselves.

We had covered both ends of the pool, the Sun had just finished its last peek at us and I mentioned that we were now in the "magic time" when most evening bites happen.
And then a rower started pulling hard and we saw a boat heading out of the pool, a sure sign someone was hooked up.
At the distance we were from it I couldn't tell who it was, but upon closing the distance in order to video what we could of the just engaged battle, I saw it was the Gage boat, with Mike on the rod and son Roger on the oars, both accompanied by Betty Gage and favorite dog Cindy.

We kept a respectful distance and watched as the battle went on and on and on, leading to some speculation as to whether this could be the first Tyee of the season, and how neat would that be etc. etc.
Roger stood up with net for a few moments, sat down and resumed rowing, stood up a few minutes later, then sat again and resumed rowing.
This was a strong and stubborn fish, or Mike was getting old and feeble, but boy it took some time to finally get the fish in the net.

We heard the priest being applied as I rowed us closer to get an opinion as to whether or not it might be a Tyee.
"What do you think?" I asked.
"It's built like a steelhead ,"Roger replied, whereupon he hoisted the fish up so we could see it.
It was a silver slab and looked slightly bigger than the 27 that came into my boat last Tuesday, but not a lot bigger nor was it definitely a Tyee.
We offered congratulations then, as we'd been carried by the ebb past the end of the spit, we decided to motor in and perhaps catch the bringing ashore of a fish and the whole weighing in procedure on video too.

I gave instructions on starting the engine, the usual check that it's out of gear, pull the choke and align the throttle with the starting icon and give it a sharp pull routine. These were followed perfectly so I sat back in order to relax a bit from rowing steadily and my operator pulled, nothing, pulled again, nothing, pulled again, nothing.
"Double-check everything," I instructed.

That accomplished led to another pull, and nothing. Pull, pull, pull and nothing.
"Push the choke in," I instructed.
More pulling with slightly muted mutterings best left imagined, and nothing.

"Is the curly cord attached to the engine properly?" I asked.
It was.
More pulling, more consternation, more inner thoughts, new engine last year, never had this happen before, what the heck?

And then, slowly but finally, the awful truth dawned on me.
Despite my in depth earlier explanations of how the well-prepared rower should be and all that, I had overlooked one small detail.

We were out of gas.
Once gas was added to the engine it started right up, just like it would have, had the rower been properly prepared. (sigh)

In the end we missed Mike bringing his fish ashore and the weighing of it, but just as well, as it was a mere 29 lbs. and four ounces, therefore not a Tyee.
Darn close though.

Maybe tonight as none registered yet that I know of.

Here's the Sturgeon Moon over the Tyee Pool last night.
RSCN7425.JPG

Take care.

Back