Tales From The Tyee Pool........2022

Afternoon Dave,
Did you ever find out if drop weight's and release clip's are allowed when fishing the tyee pool ???

Attachments

• Weight Release Clip.jpg
    Weight Release Clip.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 50
I'm baaaack!!

Hello everyone and greetings from Control Central and your humble host, soon to be a major movie star.

But I digress.

With no changes in the rules that I'm aware of we are in the same situation as last year, insofar as the Tyee season has begun, but we are not allowed to keep any Chinook caught before August 1st. that would be of Tyee size, as they would exceed the maximum length rule, 80 CM.

Ah well, it's been some years since a Tyee was registered in July, so we're not missing much, most likely.
Optimism once again is strong as we've had another year of good pasture in the North Pacific so hopefully will have well fed and fat fish when they come home.
Recent reports of the huge Sockeye returns to Alaska indicate good feeding conditions offshore so if our salmon can avoid the Alaskan and northern BC troll fleets plus the much smaller catch numbers of the recreational/commercial lodges along the coast, we might have another good year.

As usual, there won't be much in the way of pool related fishing activities for the next couple of weeks, but I'll find reasons to stay involved here and keep you up-dated.

Remember that if you can come visit and go out with me to please let me know and I'll fit you in somehow, plus all my regular rod-holders can expect to hear from me the moment some fish show up.

Great to be back.

Take care.
best read the rules Dave.....Campbell River Special Management Zone is exempt the size restriction .....

best read the rules Dave.....Campbell River Special Management Zone is exempt the size restriction .....

See my post from Saturday morning. It's #10.

I did read the rules and found I was wrong, so I corrected myself.

Probably should have edited my OP too.

Take care.

Afternoon Dave,
Did you ever find out if drop weight's and release clip's are allowed when fishing the tyee pool ???

I think they would be legal but the problem might be that we usually fish plugs over 20 feet away, spoons too, so how do you get the fish close enough to net with a release clip on your line, even after the weight is gone?
That's my question.
I'll have to check to see if the rower could remove the release clip when it came to hand, or not.
I think the rower can remove a weight without disqualifying the fish but I'll try to get someone smarter than I to confirm.
Good question.

Take care.

I think they would be legal but the problem might be that we usually fish plugs over 20 feet away, spoons too, so how do you get the fish close enough to net with a release clip on your line, even after the weight is gone?
That's my question.
I'll have to check to see if the rower could remove the release clip when it came to hand, or not.
I think the rower can remove a weight without disqualifying the fish but I'll try to get someone smarter than I to confirm.
Good question.

Take care.
Evening Dave,.
The release clip slides on the line. When a fish hit the plug/spoon the weight drops away and the release slides down to the lure .

The weight bags I have are 4-6oz (small rocks) in weight and made of linen and cotton and will easily rot away and no pollution
as with lead weights.

Evening Dave,.
The release clip slides on the line. When a fish hit the plug/spoon the weight drops away and the release slides down to the lure .

The weight bags I have are 4-6oz (small rocks) in weight and made of linen and cotton and will easily rot away and no pollution
as with lead weights.

That sounds more doable and I've just re-read the rules and can see nothing that would make them illegal.

Might be a PITA but legal.

We will give them a try when you get here.

Take care.

Greetings all.

Given there is literally nothing happening relative to Tyee fishing and because I need to bump the thread now and then, I hope you'll indulge me in my posting a couple of non-fishing related stories. This one goes back to my car racing days, when I bought a stock car from Digger and Rick Odell in Victoria, and how interesting that was at times. Hence.....

The Night Agnes Got Gassed At The Racetrack

So, after getting a car from the O’Dells in 1970, we started modifying it to fit our rules at Oyster River. This included changing the carb and intake manifold from what Victoria and Nanaimo ran to our more liberal rule, which allowed any two barrel carb you could make work. I arranged with Digger that I would buy a Holley R-4412 500 CFM racing carb from a place in Victoria and he could pick it up and make an adapter from the carb to the intake manifold for me. He made one up and sent it along with the carb bolted on so all we had to do was bolt the adapter to the intake manifold.
We did that, and it worked pretty good for a few weeks.

Now, in the interest of having a few different events at the track we were encouraged to get a female driver for a Powder-puff race to be held in the near future. To that end I had the announcer declare we were looking for a female driver and to see me after the races that night.
Germane to this story is the fact that the car started acting up that very night and wouldn't run more than nine or 10 laps before starting to sputter, lose power and generally not go. We suspected something in the fuel delivery system so had a good look on Sunday before I went back to Gold River until Thursday night testing at the track.

But back to Saturday night after the races when a young woman named Agnes Hildebrandt appeared at our pit and expressed an interest in driving the car. She was late teens and seemed like a good prospect, being a skookum country gal from Black Creek. She also had a good dose of self-confidence, which was good to see.
I explained a few things to her and we arranged to meet Thursday night so she could try driving the car and get a feel for it.

From Monday until Wed. the crew checked the car over very closely, trying to figure out the problem. Checked the tank, the fuel lines, the fuel pump and the filters. Everything seemed ok and that's the way we arrived at the track Thursday where Agnes waited for us.
Towing the car to the track and talking about the problem revealed that Ray Walsh, one of my crew, had adjusted the float level, thinking that might help.

So, we got Agnes belted in, I explained what little I knew, told her to take several laps around to get used to the steering and then give her snoose. Everything looked good so after four slow laps I gave her the go sign and she opened up coming down the front straightaway, near where I was standing. She went through number one pretty good, then into two nicely and powered out of three really well as she approached my position. As she sailed past, setting up for one again, I was horrified to see a substantial flow of gas vapor from the carb streaming right into the car and on to Agnes.
I turned and tried to sprint across the infield to wave her off but she was through one before I could get across plus was concentrating on driving and not looking my way, so I turned and sprinted back and was able to signal her to stop and cut the engine as she exited three.

Upon arriving at the car I noted she was damp with gasoline and I was very concerned about that so we got her out and she wiped as much off as she could under the circumstances.
I asked her why she hadn't pulled into the pits when the gas first started to spray her and she said: "I thought that was normal and didn't want to seem wimpy."
We quickly sent her home with instructions to shower immediately and apologized profusely for what had happened.
Ray’s adjustment to the float level was the culprit, so we adjusted that back and I jumped in to test the car.
Unfortunately, our problem was still there. We tried everything we could to sort it out, to no avail.

The next two weeks were very frustrating as we chased our problem, until Neil Rookes finally figured it out.
We never followed up with having a female driver afterwards, so never saw Agnes again.
I have often wondered what happened to her, and how she remembers the time she got all soaked with gas at the racetrack, back in 1971.
She seemed like she would have been a good driver too.

Take care.

Me and the car in 1971. Ray Walsh at edge of photo, now R.I.P.

Stock Car 1971.jpg

Little to report on Tyee fishing so far but a chat with Bob, the Weighmaster, informed me that once the clubhouse project is complete the clubhouse will not have the usual section open (Covid protocol) and all transactions will be through the side window, as was the case last year.
Until that happens Bob is operating from the 5th. wheel trailer parked in the yard.

For further amusement, here's the story of the time racers from Campbell River broke the ban on female drivers at Grandview Bowl in Nanaimo.

When Grandview Bowl Banned A Woman Driver

Back near the end of the 1971 ORRA season a bunch of us towed down to Nanaimo to run against that crew for fun. Generally we didn't compete against them as we had much more liberal rules and ran a bit faster.
Anyway, amongst the group from Oyster River was a gal named Linda Fulton who raced weekly with us and, like me, was an also-ran, but kept out of trouble and tried her best, as did we all.

Imagine our dismay when someone from the Nanaimo gang told us they wouldn't allow her to run, because she was a woman and they didn't allow women to compete with the men.
Naturally, this was simply not acceptable to us and we put up a strong argument and eventually threatened to all load up and leave unless they relented and let her run with us.
Eventually we won out and Linda ran with us and all was well.

Ray Walsh was driving my car then and all I recall is that we broke something because I remember Tom Turner laying under the car wrenching on something while quietly cursing his fate.
Hard to imagine today that women were not welcome in racing much back then when one looks at what they have accomplished in more modern times, but in 1971 the ORRA and Linda Fulton broke that ******** barrier at Grandview Bowl in Nanaimo.

I know, because I was there.

Take care

I Glad you broke the barrier
I raced at grandview bowel 1974/75 season and we did have woman racers class in1975
I can remember going to oyster river to watch racing up there no body had trailers they just drove there cars to the track and raced it was fun times

Absolutely beautiful evening with three hopefuls rowing tonight.
Saw a float-tuber earlier today plus a lot of Pinks jumping in the Tyee Pool early this morning.

Should be lots of Pinks heading upriver on these big tides plus I saw some in the Quinsam up at Eric's Riffle yesterday.
Oldtimers tell me that right after the bulk of the Pinks go upstream the Tyee arrive.

I certainly hope so.

Take care.

I know, because I was there.
My first race ever was there in 1969. It was a demo derby race in my dad's 1951 Pontiac #10. Used to pit for Potts. I was 14 yrs old but nobody knew that it was me, they thought it was my dad.
Only significance is that I might be racing the last Canada 200 at Western? what ever it is called now. 1969 to 2022 so far. I get to claim I have raced in 7 decades, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, 00's, 10's & 20's and I think I can make the 30's.
BUT then there is the PA derby.

What to do? Maybe both ;D

We are launched and moored and ready to go.

With the able assistance of my pal Peter we got the boat loaded earlier today and launched her before the tide got any lower.
She's looking good as she was completely sanded, a couple of dings were repaired and everything re-varnished a week or so ago by a guy who knows his stuff.
Hats off to Mike White who did a nice job on polishing up the old girl.
Only hitch was that while used to lifting up a 4 1/2 HP short shaft Evinrude outboard no problem by myself, I wasn't able to safely hoist up the 5 HP long shaft Honda so needed a hand this year.
Otherwise, things went smoothly enough and I only forgot one item, the tiller extender. Not terribly critical and we got her moored in her regular spot before it got too hot.
Ha, it looks like my stern line is tied to the fuel nozzle in the photo, but it isn't. LOL

DSCN7352.JPG

Take care.

We are launched and moored and ready to go.

With the able assistance of my pal Peter we got the boat loaded earlier today and launched her before the tide got any lower.
She's looking good as she was completely sanded, a couple of dings were repaired and everything re-varnished a week or so ago by a guy who knows his stuff.
Hats off to Mike White who did a nice job on polishing up the old girl.
Only hitch was that while used to lifting up a 4 1/2 HP short shaft Evinrude outboard no problem by myself, I wasn't able to safely hoist up the 5 HP long shaft Honda so needed a hand this year.
Otherwise, things went smoothly enough and I only forgot one item, the tiller extender. Not terribly critical and we got her moored in her regular spot before it got too hot.
Ha, it looks like my stern line is tied to the fuel nozzle in the photo, but it isn't. LOL

View attachment 82971

Take care.
Morning Dave,
That's a sweet little craft you have. And looks very comfortable. Could you give us a little bit of info about her ??

Morning Dave,
That's a sweet little craft you have. And looks very comfortable. Could you give us a little bit of info about her ??
Built by Ken Fletcher, his fifth one and built for himself, he ended up meeting and marrying a woman and then moving to Ontario, so he had his son-in-law offer it for sale back in 2011.
I was sort of looking for a smaller boat for salmon fishing and at the end of an ad for a 16' boat I was looking at were the additional words. "Wooden Tyee Rowboat For Sale."

Curious, I called the number and reached Henry, married to Kens daughter, who told me about the boat and invited me down to Willow Point to see it. He told me it had been built in 2010 but only put in the water a couple of times, so basically unused.
Double Cedar strip hull (inner and outer with foam between) a solid Teak keel, Mahogany with Oak inserts gunwales and a custom built seat.
Apparently there was $3,800.00 worth of wood plus $600.00 for upholstered seat in it.
Knowing that back then a lovely all wood boat from Hillmark was in the $14,000.00 range and a white hull finished in wood by them was $7,00.00 I was a bit reticent to ask what Ken wanted for it so when Henry told me $4,500.00 I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
It's slightly bigger than a lot of the rowboats, at 14'9" overall, and has slightly higher gunwales than most boats and a flared bow that throws water away from the boat when splashing through chop and such. It's a "dry" boat mostly.
It's a bit heavier than some and because of the thicker gunwales it catches a bit more wind (more surface area) so can be a bit of a workout when it's windy.
I had a pair of spooned oars made from Spruce and cut from the same log to repeat the grain, bought oiled leather collars and bronze oarlocks and put it all together with an older 1985 4 1/2 HP Evinrude I'd bought from a member here and voila, there I was, King of the Cabezons. LOL

Updated with a new engine last year so we're ready to rock.

Take care.

Last edited:
Built by Ken Fletcher, his fifth one and built for himself, he ended up meeting and marrying a woman and then moving to Ontario, so he had his son-in-law offer it for sale back in 2011.
I was sort of looking for a smaller boat for salmon fishing and at the end of an ad for a 16' boat I was looking at were the additional words. "Wooden Tyee Rowboat For Sale."

Curious, I called the number and reached Harry, married to Kens daughter, who told me about the boat and invited me down to Willow Point to see it. Harry told me it had been built in 2010 but only put in the water a couple of times, so basically unused.
Double Cedar strip hull (inner and outer with foam between) a solid Teak keel, Mahogany with Oak inserts gunwales and a custom built seat.
Apparently there was $3,800.00 worth of wood plus $600.00 for upholstered seat in it.
Knowing that back then a lovely all wood boat from Hillmark was in the $14,000.00 range and a white hull finished in wood by them was $7,00.00 I was a bit reticent to ask what Ken wanted for it so when Henry told me $4,500.00 I couldn't get the money out of my pocket fast enough.
It's slightly bigger than a lot of the rowboats, at 14'9" overall, and has slightly higher gunwales than most boats and a flared bow that throws water away from the boat when splashing through chop and such. It's a "dry" boat mostly.
It's a bit heavier than some and because of the thicker gunwales it catches a bit more wind (more surface area) so can be a bit of a workout when it's windy.
I had a pair of spooned oars made from Spruce and cut from the same log to repeat the grain, bought oiled leather collars and bronze oarlocks and put it all together with an older 1985 4 1/2 HP Evinrude I'd bought from a member here and voila, there I was, King of the Cabezons. LOL

Take care.

Curious, I called the number and reached Harry, married to Kens daughter, who told me about the boat and invited me down to Willow Point to see it. Harry told me it had been built in 2010 but only put in the water a couple of times, so basically unused.

Take care.
Yes...... a very sweet boat. Thanks

Great looking boat Dave. I wish you all the luck this year on your quest to catching a monster tyee. One day I hope to fish the tyee pool and catch one myself.

Back