Tahsis dive trip 2019

saanauk

Just did my first trip up to Tahsis for the year. Spent a couple days diving. There was a lot of fresh water run off so visibility was not a good as previous trips but still pretty decent at 30-40 ft.
Got a new to me camera and still getting it dialed in but got a couple decent photos.

Ling guarding some eggs.
F3D0DADE-4110-451E-A7F5-7CC48FD0AC07.jpeg

A9101076-C88D-4E66-8791-14F9C6DFB594.jpeg

3F2028AA-8F33-4331-A515-A064A518CE7E.jpeg

2B6912B0-ECFD-4E97-A017-72C9CB50587A.jpeg
8D782D1A-542F-4244-8224-BEA638766994.jpeg

553E17FC-779B-410A-9CCB-98964E5B4898.jpeg

My favorite photo:
39062883-ED3D-4234-A63F-248FFDBF81E9.jpeg
9D23599F-A25B-448D-88DC-CB5B46661E67.jpeg

Great pics Saanauk! Thanks for sharing them on the forum. Great to see a post like this here! We recently bought a recreation property on a Gulf Island so we plan on doing a lot of diving around the area now that we have a close by home base to do trips from. My daughter is also a diver but we haven't dove for awhile now so really looking forward to getting back into it. Would like to chat with you more about it some time.

What make/model of camera did you get? We bought a couple when we first started. Didn't spend a lot on them so doesn't surprise me we weren't happy with them. We need to get a decent one when we start diving again this summer.

Whoa, that's awesome! I used to dive commercially in the local waters. The colours that are around are pretty cool. Definitely keep posting diving pics!

Great pics Saanauk! Thanks for sharing them on the forum. Great to see a post like this here! We recently bought a recreation property on a Gulf Island so we plan on doing a lot of diving around the area now that we have a close by home base to do trips from. My daughter is also a diver but we haven't dove for awhile now so really looking forward to getting back into it. Would like to chat with you more about it some time.

What make/model of camera did you get? We bought a couple when we first started. Didn't spend a lot on them so doesn't surprise me we weren't happy with them. We need to get a decent one when we start diving again this summer.

I am more than happy to chat about the limited dive knowledge I have. It is a hobby that I only recently picked up in the last few year and I still and gaining lots of knowledge. I am lucky in that I have gotten to do most of my dives with very experienced divers.

You don’t have to break the bank on a camera. eBay has lots of Canon Powershot cameras that have decent but inexpensive housings like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Powe...016078?hash=item21514e714e:g:aIQAAOSwGBRcRNt~

I actually bought the Canon Powershot G9 which is a step down from the G12 for around $240 USD. The only drawback of the Canon cameras with the “factory” housings is that you may not have every camera setting function with the housing. If you bought an Ikelite house which would cost 3x the camera price you would get full functionality. They are just some manual camera settings that I just commit to before I get in the water. I am still learning the settings on my camera so I may be able to set it up differently.

Sounds like your recreation property will be a great opportunity for diving. My family has a house in Tahsis and that is why I mainly got into diving. It gave me something to do there in the fishing off season and is a unreal spot to dive.

I wonder if there is enough diving interest to have a sub forum about diving.

Just got certified a couple weeks ago. This is off Snake Island. Don't mind the shaky videoing. Wish I never waited until 50 to do this.
Thanks for sharing. It is pretty amazing once you realize what you have been missing out on. All the time on the water then finally get to see what is below the water.

I am more than happy to chat about the limited dive knowledge I have. It is a hobby that I only recently picked up in the last few year and I still and gaining lots of knowledge. I am lucky in that I have gotten to do most of my dives with very experienced divers.

You don’t have to break the bank on a camera. eBay has lots of Canon Powershot cameras that have decent but inexpensive housings like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-Powe...016078?hash=item21514e714e:g:aIQAAOSwGBRcRNt~

I actually bought the Canon Powershot G9 which is a step down from the G12 for around $240 USD. The only drawback of the Canon cameras with the “factory” housings is that you may not have every camera setting function with the housing. If you bought an Ikelite house which would cost 3x the camera price you would get full functionality. They are just some manual camera settings that I just commit to before I get in the water. I am still learning the settings on my camera so I may be able to set it up differently.

Sounds like your recreation property will be a great opportunity for diving. My family has a house in Tahsis and that is why I mainly got into diving. It gave me something to do there in the fishing off season and is a unreal spot to dive.

I wonder if there is enough diving interest to have a sub forum about diving.
Thanks for the camera info! There are so many good diving areas all over BC. Looks like you have a beauty spot there.

That's a great idea to put a sub forum for diving on the forum. Especially if some of us are going to be spear fishing/crabbing etc while divig (which I am :) ) then it will fit in to the fishing part of the forum too.

Back