Tahsis Boat Launch Ramp

Sushihunter

I have a question for anyone who has used the Boat Launch ramp in Tahsis over the last 3 or 4 years.

We have a new Mayor and Council in office here now, and they are looking at making some changes to the way the boat launch is operated.

Our last Mayor started collecting a fee or (I think) about $15 to cover "in & out". Problem was they seemed to get you going both ways for double jeopardy. Before this, use of the ramp was free.

The effect was to **** off most people using the launch ramp, and the money collected did not cover the cost of the village employee who spent the day down there collecting the launch fees.

One problem is that the ramp was never designed for launching boats. It's too shallow a grade, and you have to get the launch vehicle wet to the front bumper to be able to launch on a low tide. The ramp was designed for amphibious airplanes.

Also, there is no dock to walk your boat out to after getting it off the trailer, or to tie up to while you get the truck and trailer from the parking lot. In other words, it is a two man job to launch or recover a boat. Sometimes three men.

Here is my questions:

1- Is the launch ramp fine the way it is?

2- What is a fair price for the ramp as it is now?

3- What would you be willing to pay if there was a dock to tie to and the grade was steeper?

4- What improvements would you like to see?

5- Any other comments?

Thanks!

I hope to pass your comments along to the mayor and the council.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

$10 -15 per launch, icluding recovery and parking. Its $10 in Campbell River at the Discovery Harbour launch and that includes recovery and parking of truck and trailer. You are correct about the tides there, high tide works fine. Be nice to have a float along side the ramp! Paying to launch and paying again to recover was not a Good Thing! But having said all that, its nice to be able to wash the boat,and the trailer in the parking lot. Tight Lines, and see you there this summer. ...BB

quote:Originally posted by Barnacle Bill

$10 -15 per launch, icluding recovery and parking. Its $10 in Campbell River at the Discovery Harbour launch and that includes recovery and parking of truck and trailer. You are correct about the tides there, high tide works fine. Be nice to have a float along side the ramp! Paying to launch and paying again to recover was not a Good Thing! But having said all that, its nice to be able to wash the boat,and the trailer in the parking lot. Tight Lines, and see you there this summer. ...BB

Thanks for the input.

I just got off the phone with the Village.

Here is the latest info, pending the passing of the new budget on May 5th:

Launch - $5 - inlcudes Recovery!

Parking - $10 per day.

Yearly Pass - $100

Much better than previous years.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

I launch several times a year at the ramp and you need a floating dock. The system in Port McNiell would work for you where the lauch is free but parking is paid with a form you fill out the no# of days and put half in the cashbox and half on your windsheild. It is checked daily.

I plan to go fishing out of Esperanza Inlet at the beginning of August this year. What is the best source for info on the tides for the Tahsis launch and Ferrer Point areas?

I notice that the Feds only have tide predictions for Gold River, Zeballos and Saavedra Islands. What tide info do the locals use?

I can't launch my boat well on shallow ramps. Is there a minimum water level that guys use to safely launch their boats in Tahsis?

Thanks for any uselful info.

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

I plan to go fishing out of Esperanza Inlet at the beginning of August this year. What is the best source for info on the tides for the Tahsis launch and Ferrer Point areas?

I notice that the Feds only have tide predictions for Gold River, Zeballos and Saavedra Islands. What tide info do the locals use?

I can't launch my boat well on shallow ramps. Is there a minimum water level that guys use to safely launch their boats in Tahsis?

Thanks for any uselful info.

Long live wild salmon!!!

Here is the page I put together:

http://www.jimsfishing.com/links.htm

It has just about any info you could want. Tides are about half way down, but here is a direct link:

http://www.waterlevels-niveauxdeau....pe=showZone&language=english&region=1&zone=12

Should be good fishing this year. Say hello when you get here!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

I agree with Peege. You need a floating dock to launch and especially to retrive. I don't mind paying for " in & out " and parking, but with no dock and it just you and your wife it makes it really tough. I would rather launch at Gold river and run to Esperanza even though the launch is not a good one at least it has somewhat of a dock.

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

not to steal the thread, but what exactly is wrong with the ramp and float at gold river??

It's OK, but a little tight at low tide, and very little dock space if you need to stay for more than a few minutes. Also, I hear you have to be careful where you park your rig afterwards if you want everything in it when you get back.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Okay, I have launched at Gold River, Tahsis, and Zebellos many times. Personally I prefer Gold River, but my party prefers Zebellos. Why I don’t know. But, you want an unbiased opinion, since I run my boat up? There are a lot of things to consider, roads, launch, driving time, run time, parking, etc. Think about these, they are the basics:

Gold River:
• Pavement all the way.
• Good ramp
• Float.
• Plenty of parking
• Secured parking, with pickup and drop off.
• Launch pretty much anytime

Tahsis:
• 60 km gravel road
• No paved ramp, shallow
• No float.
• Limited parking
• Secured parking, via Kathy
• Tricky launch based on tides

Zebellos:
• 40 km of gravel road
• Good ramp
• Float
• Plenty of parking
• Secured parking
• Easy launch

So thanks for the info guys.

I still would like to know what source you use for the most accurate tide predictions around Ferrer Pt. and the Tahsis launch?

If it is the Feds what location?

Gold River, Zeballos or Saavedra Islands?

Long live wild salmon!!!

quote:Originally posted by Whole in the Water

So thanks for the info guys.

I still would like to know what source you use for the most accurate tide predictions around Ferrer Pt. and the Tahsis launch?

If it is the Feds what location?

Gold River, Zeballos or Saavedra Islands?

Long live wild salmon!!!

Sorry, I didn't read your post closely before I posted the links for the tides.

This is the info I use. You can print out an entire week of tide charts on one page, which is nice for the boat, plus I don't get too upset if it gets wet, I didn't pay $12 for it.

If you check each of the sites, you will notice that there is only a few minutes difference between them all. For boat launching that's plenty close enough. I generally use the one closest to where I intend to fish that day.

If you have a chartplotter on your boat, there is a Tide Station at CeePeeCee in the Cut, you can check that, but I don't know how accurate that is.

I hope this helps answer your questions.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Jim

what do you use for an offshore marine report.
I am up there in August this year. Go by the name three amigos

thanks Peter

quote:Originally posted by hooked for life

Jim

what do you use for an offshore marine report.
I am up there in August this year. Go by the name three amigos

thanks Peter

Check out my Links Page here:
http://www.jimsfishing.com/links.htm

Scroll all the way to the bottom and check out the various links along the way. I have links for tides, weather, DFO, local info, etc.

If I have missed anything, let me know - I'm always looking for good links for this page.

This is the page I check before going to bed before a trip and first thing in the morning before I go fishing. One stop shopping!

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com

Charile has been there, done that...pretty accurate...I would add Z is at least another hour on the road, has less local infrastructure than T or GR and the road is significantly worse on tires. But Z is still cool. For my boat, it is not an all tide launch, but it is very sheltered from wind with no dock, the local kids use it for a swimming hole, so backing in solo can be a bit dicey..

T also has the afternoon wind to contend with, so a dock would be first priority. The season pass was like $50 last year...

JD

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Okay, I have launched at Gold River, Tahsis, and Zebellos many times. Personally I prefer Gold River, but my party prefers Zebellos. Why I don’t know. But, you want an unbiased opinion, since I run my boat up? There are a lot of things to consider, roads, launch, driving time, run time, parking, etc. Think about these, they are the basics:

Gold River:
• Pavement all the way.
• Good ramp
• Float.
• Plenty of parking

Tahsis:
• 60 km gravel road
• No paved ramp, shallow
• No float.
• Limited parking

Zebellos:
• 40 km of gravel road
• Good ramp
• Float
• Plenty of parking
• Secured parking
• Easy launch

quote:Originally posted by Charlie

Gold River:
• Pavement all the way.
• Good ramp
• Float.
• Plenty of parking

Tahsis:
• 60 km gravel road
• No paved ramp, shallow
• No float.
• Limited parking

Zebellos:
• 40 km of gravel road
• Good ramp
• Float
• Plenty of parking
• Secured parking
• Easy launch

Charlie good reviews except I would add some comment to the Zeballos launch and it's probably what Tomictime was referring to as well. The Zeballos launch is a no go at low tides for larger trailer boats. I have a rule of thumb there and that is I don't try to retrieve if the tide is less than about 3' as my tires will drop off the paved ramp before the trailer is in far enough to get boat loaded. Launching is a little better as you may drop an axle but once the boat is off you can pull it out.

I think Gold River is the best in terms of paved roads and good launch. The only problem with Gold River though is similar to Esperanza except the tide level doesn't have a bearing on you until you try to pass the float plane dock. At Gold River I go in and out at no less than 3.5'.

i understood there was an indian run parking concession at the gold river ramp where you apy to park. true??

quote:Originally posted by reelfast

i understood there was an indian run parking concession at the gold river ramp where you apy to park. true??
It has been a few years, but there was the last time I was there. Also, parking was available along the road, "at your own risk". I used to park at a lot with a chain link fence around it and the owners transported us back and forth to the launch, never more than a 10-15 minute wait and never any problems.

If you launch after 5:30 the winds coming up the channel are usually better, which is a lot nicer ride... and no one is around to collect any launch fees! :D

Back