Switching Trophy xl to islander springs?

Ruff

I've seen that a bunch of people are switching out their trophy XL drag springs to islander springs and when I called islander they asked if I needed the Mr2 or Mr3 spring. Does it matter? I'm not loving how sensitive the trophy spring is especially because I often have newbies that fish with me and when they try and touch the drag it often results in either a break off or mayhem of a freespool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just went to a local store and asked for an islander spring. Not sure what one I got but it helped. I also lubed, wiped, roughed up the cork with sandpaper. Has helped with the drag and made it smoother. Have heard of guys stretching their springs as well. Happy with the results.

We need to find out the part number or which reel spring is needed. A lot of people want to upgrade the trophy drag spring

I used mr3 springs and they made a big difference. That was back in 2014. I sold the reels and gave the springs to my buddy. He still has them in his trophys.

I used mr3 springs and they made a big difference. That was back in 2014. I sold the reels and gave the springs to my buddy. He still has them in his trophys.
I made a thicker washer that sits on top of the spring to give it some preload to prevent it from free wheeling into a birds nest and I have also heard that some guys have stretched out the existing spring to give it some preload

I made a thicker washer that sits on top of the spring to give it some preload to prevent it from free wheeling into a birds nest and I have also heard that some guys have stretched out the existing spring to give it some preload
Same! I think I cut up the top of an icecream or yogourt container so there is a little drag when the knob is backed completely off.

I've seen that a bunch of people are switching out their trophy XL drag springs to islander springs and when I called islander they asked if I needed the Mr2 or Mr3 spring. Does it matter? I'm not loving how sensitive the trophy spring is especially because I often have newbies that fish with me and when they try and touch the drag it often results in either a break off or mayhem of a freespool. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Cheers to this thread for the tip on those springs. Tried my new Trophy XL reels once and the drag sweet spot is crap. Swapped the springs to the Islander ones and it’s a world of difference. If I didn’t know I’d be disappointed in the reels but they fish great now.

WINNER WINNER thats exaclly how been doing this for 15 years no back lash and EASY for clients just tell them dont plam just let go of knobs

Back