swimbait

E

Even-tide

Curious if any of you guys have ever tried or heard of fishing a small tuna swim bait in a teaser head ? would it even roll? maybe with some wire to keep a bend... if it did roll I would think it would turn them on. thoughts

those are vary similar to ones IronNoggin posted about a while back, got them at a trade show back east or something. at the time he said he was looking for the supplier. had some nice fish pictures from commercial trolling.

quote:Originally posted by Even-tide

those are vary similar to ones IronNoggin posted about a while back, got them at a trade show back east or something. at the time he said he was looking for the supplier. had some nice fish pictures from commercial trolling.

The Steveston Marine and Hardware in Kitsilano had many packages of those last weekend. I was in there today and there was a package still on the shelf.

That is one place in town you can get them. Speak to the manager of the fishing department. I've found him helpful in getting stuff that I need. He's knowledgeable too!

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

The Steveston Marine and Hardware in Kitsilano had many packages of those last weekend. I was in there today and there was a package still on the shelf.

That is one place in town you can get them. Speak to the manager of the fishing department. I've found him helpful in getting stuff that I need. He's knowledgeable too!
It was me who first brought those in when I worked there last year-like pulling teeth it was too the way that management works in that place.[V]

It's easy enough to buy them directly from Gord the Baitrix company owner over the net-he's very efficient and knowledgeable.

EDIT-Calvin</u> from Nikka in Richmond is getting Baitrix in this season as well.

quote:Originally posted by Dogbreath

quote:Originally posted by fishin_magician

It was me who first brought those in when I worked there last year-like pulling teeth it was too the way that management works in that place.[V]

It's easy enough to buy them directly from Gord the Baitrix company owner over the net-he's very efficient and knowledgeable.

EDIT-Calvin</u> from Nikka in Richmond is getting Baitrix in this season as well.

Put the money on hootchies, they'll do just as well!

Gone Fishin' now carries the Baitrix products as well. Some new designs coming online shortly now...

I disagree that hootchies perform the same. We did extensive testing of the Baitrix both commercial trolling and chartering this past season. The reason I was hunting Gord down was the rather suprizing results we obtained when commercial trolling. Those Baitrix products produced extremely well, outfishing proven</u> hootchie set-ups and spoons above and below them. In nearly all occasions, the Baitrix produced more consistent hook-ups than the others. I also ran these offshore and in Barkely Sound last year. Quite often I fished bait on one side, and the Baitrix on the other. Again, the results were somewhat startling, as the Baitrix held thier own pretty well all of the time, and we did have days when they out-produced the bait by a fairly substantial margin. One thing for sure, they are a very usefull addition to my arsenal, and I'll be packing some each time out from here on in.

Cheers,
Nog

I'll tell ya, Gord is a great guy and he has a very effective lure. Run it just like you would an anchovie in a helmet and you won't be dissapointed.

$12 for 6 seems a little pricey.
Especially if Dogfish start stealing them.

I like a quality local product but the price will prevent me from going for them

quote:Originally posted by saltydawg

$12 for 6 seems a little pricey.
Especially if Dogfish start stealing them.

I like a quality local product but the price will prevent me from going for them

Yeah, I was having a look at these as I'd heard about them too.

I'm in need of some convincing to shell out the $$$ as I can get packs of anchovies/herring at $3.50 to $4.25, and with 10 or 12 anchovies in a pack or 10 6 inch Herring , if you hook up and land well, you're going to to have plenty of fish in the boat.

When it comes to cut-plugging, I have yet to see a "better mousetrap" as it were.

http://www.baitrix.com/

hmmmm
they do seem quite pricey based on what he has posted on the net. I think the action is probably what's catching the fish and souping it up with scent is probably a good idea too.

I think part of the internet pricing is due to the fact that he doesn't want to compete with retailers. Not sure what they cost at Steveston..but they were moving them off the shelf.

In the event that one of these gets inhaled by a fish during a strike/bite, and you want to release that fish, then what????? or...

what if the fish managed to devour the baittrix and a guest lost the fish due to a breakoff or ??? then what?

It's rare that a hootchy or other lure is inhaled deeply...but I've had some anchovies inhaled so far down that bonking the fish was the only option....

Maybe I'm just finding excuses...

I'll stick with hootchies, spoons, plugs, and bait for now.

lol I looked over that web site and there are the pictures and the story I remembered from the posting. about colouring ...what type of marker can be used, is it a special kind ...most ink markers smell toxic, I would think fish would be turned off.

Sure why not. I gotta try them. Of course I also have almost $300.00 worth of those POS firefish lures in my box, so you know I'll buy anything. One thing the firefish are good for is extending your day out on the water, if you just want to troll and enjoy the scenery without catching fish!

lol I looked over that web site and there are the pictures and the story I remembered from the posting. about colouring ...what type of marker can be used, is it a special kind ...most ink markers smell toxic, I would think fish would be turned off.

Yep..that's what I thought too!

The thing is..when there is THAT many fish around, they'll bite anything!

I remember having a guest that wanted to do his own cutplug and so I let him have at it. I turn around and he did everything backwards except for the hooks pointing the right way. It was a total helicopter bait and shouldn't have caught a thing. So, on the downrigger she went...and BAM! Fish on!

I remember another time seeing 3 Chinook follow a guest's bare hooks up to the boat after a failed hookset!

I think if there's enough fish, they'll bite anything, and even the half *ssed ones will catch fish too--and the ones that are right in from the offshore are EXTREMELY aggressive.

So, I'm not saying you won't catch fish on the baitrix, but I'd love to see it outfish fresh anchovies or fresh herring!!!!

I tried batrix in renfrew last summer.with anchovie on one side and baitrix on the other and the baitrix looked great had an great roll but for springs it didn't get a sniff in two days I hit seven or eight springs on the bait and only one coho on the baitrix.But as for offshore on the bank it probably would work great but for fishing the beach Im not yet convinced.

Back