SVOP

Has anybody out there done there svop yet. Wondering how tough the test is. The med a3 looks like a lot of info. The svop seems pretty basic but looks can be decieving. I have an opportunity to do the couse in one 3 day shot in a couple of weeks just wondering if I should bother to prestudy or just do it. If any body can comment on the actual test portion please let me know.

Pretty easy test. A lot of it is just common sense stuff. Study the Buoy marker colours and vessel right of way stuff you will do fine. I never studied and by no means am I an experianced boater. Read over the book and you will pass no problem.
GOOD LUCK:D

Uh...no.... mine was all theory based.... jumping in the water would be a bit too interactive for me.... do they want you to light your boat on fire so you can do the extinguiser lesson as well :)

The test is WAY easier than the Power Sqaudron test... and the power squadron boating course was WAY better from a content perspective

Good, I was setting up an SVOP class for some people in Vic with a company that teaches it, they said it was a 4 day course, we put on an immersion suit, and get in the water and practice rescue.

Yeah Right, I want to do that. I'd reather write the test, give them the cheque, and wait for another plastic card in the mail to add to my collection.

Plastic card??? Boy are your expecations ever way to high!!!

Plastic card would actually be marine friendly, so what you are going to get is a piece of paper to add to the collection. It now takes me three tubs to carry all the paper-work, manuals, logs, spares and safety gear needed to pass the spot inspections....

Might need to add the tag along barge in a few years at the rate this is going :D

Barb Howe from Quinte Marine Services.

Barb has her Masters and is a TC certified instructor. We brought her out to the Resort to do a three day combined MED-A3 / SVOP course. Completion got you both certificates. We put an add in the local paper lisiting the course at $300pp and had a full house within 48 hours of the ad. Donna and I got to take the course for free by organizing it and doing the ad/finding the students while Barb kept the proceeds from the rest of the attendees. Inexpensive easy solution [8D]

PS - same cert required by commercial fishermen and crew boat operators so not too tough to find attendees....

Hey there SIR did the course get heavy into chartwork,coll regs and lights or was it pretty basic. The svop portion scares me more than the svop as it seems like a lot of info to cram into a 8hr course. As far as the tests how many questions are on them and what is a passing grade. Did you pre study or just take the course. I have spent most of my life on the water but for some reason transport canada tests scare the heck out of me.

Hey there last chance there are a couple of course providers in the lower mainland that run the combined med a3 and svop in a three day course. Quicknav on granville island offers it and I belive westcoast powerboat handling in N van does as well. I was told by tc that by next year it may be a mandatory 4 day course.

No chartwork at all. All the basic collision, lights and bouy stuff and a bunch of safety gear stuff. All the answers are in the course materials which the instructor covers so no studying required. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, pretty basic assuming you already have on-water experience. Seem to recall pass was 80% ish but don't quote me on that it was a while ago. Everyone was over 90% as it was set uo so that even the commercial fishermen could pass :D

Actually the commercial guys made the course really interesting as there was probably a couple of hundred years of local fishing experience in the room which made for some great stories. Did you know you can shoot a fish thru a marine glass plate window on another boat over 100' away with some surgical rubber bands strung between your stabalizer poles??? :D

Is it possible to do this via the internet, does any one know, also anything on internet for reading charts. I am near Edmonton, and nothing around here like that. You just launch your boat and hope u dont hit bottom w/ your leg.
Regards to all.

Back