SVOP - Charters

Here it is...cleared it up.

David

Here is the information you sought

Under the Marine Personnel Regulations (MPR) and assuming that we are dealing with passenger-carrying vessel of not more than 5 grass tonnage (perhaps more than 8m which is of no consequence in this case), operating within 25 nautical miles from shore, and the master is the only crew member required on board, that person needs the following

1. On-board familiarization.
2. Marine basic first aid.
3. ROC-MC or ROC-MQ(if issued after 1 Jan 2005)
4. MED with respect to small non pleasure vessel Basic safety (MED 3) before acquiring total of 6 months sea service.
5. SVOP staring on November 7, 2009.

Regards
Capt. Masoud Jahani - M.M - LLb. (UK)
Senior Marine Inspector Transport Canada
Compliance and Enforcement / Gestionnaire, conformité et application des règlements
Telephone: (604) 666 - 5462
Fax: (604) 666 - 9177
Email : jahanim@tc.gc.ca
# 400 - 800 Burrard Street / # 400 - 800 rue Burrard
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2J8 / Vancouver C.-B. V6Z 2J8
http://www.tc.gc.ca

I talked to another fellow here in the lower mainland...tends to agree with what David has to say but he's still going to look into it further...He believes that we fall into a grey area which we are commercial operators but not commercial fisherman...
I guess it's each to his own on this one...the real none disputable clause is the inspection itself.

Yippee! Most likely have to get my limited masters to guide out of 31fter [xx(] I'm sure that's exactly what a 19 year old wants to do with his spare time...courses, courses and more courses :p Oh well....gotta do what ya gotta do. But that seems a bit much. I have nothing else to do in May anyway i suppose (especially in woss).

Back