SVOP - Charters

SerengetiGuide

Hey guys,

It's probably best for everyone, especially the charter guys to get this cleared up. As I want and need to know as well. This is what I found abroad (go to pg 19 for SVOP):

http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cach...f+SVOP+november+2009&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=ca

Claims not needed for passenger vessels until Nov. 2009.

Any other links that agree/refute this would be great to be added, and I'm sure a good, friendly discussion can be made on it.

David

Iv herd rumors that we will need more certification to operate aboat as afishing guide?

Well snow it looks like it is right there on black and white finally some good from DOT.

Wolf

Crazy...some mixed messages going on. Definitely not helping the confusion.

Just got this email from TC:

Said that SVOP "applies to a passenger-carrying vessel of up to 5 gross tonnage or not more than 8 m in overall length that is not a fishing vessel, beginning on November 7, 2009."

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

Crazy...some mixed messages going on. Definitely not helping the confusion.

Just got this email from TC:

Said that SVOP "applies to a passenger-carrying vessel of up to 5 gross tonnage or not more than 8 m in overall length that is not a fishing vessel, beginning on November 7, 2009."

I think the key might be that we are a fishing vessel...might be a grey area but I happen to know that they won't pass your vessel without it.
I'm having another boat inspected later this month and they won't pass it if the operator does not have a Med-a3, SVOP and a radio course(marine)

OK, from the above I'm just down right confused [xx(]

Here is another email from TC.

Dear sir,

There are three elements to the activity of a small commercial vessel.
1) the vessel must be registered in the small, vessel registry and possess a C 12345 BC number.
2) it must be inspected by a TC inspector. This may not take place imediately, but the process flow as explained in http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/CES/Small-Commercial-Vessels/CSV-upto15.htm must be followed.
3) Crew and operator training; Vessel not more than 5GT or vessel not me than 6 passengers and less than 8 metres operator requires SVOPand ROC-M or ROC-MC before Nov. 7th, 2009. However, all personnel that have an accumilated amount of 6 months at sea must have an MED course. An MEDA3 would cover your masters and crew members.
Please understand that there are more situations that I cannot guess at this time as to which your operation may fall under. Therefore I strongly suggest that you educate yourself with the material found in the above web site and in addition the material sent to you by our clerk Ms Nancy Goffic who is also responding to your email now.

I would be very happy to speak with you afterwards to assist you in taking the correct action in order that you may comply with the requirements of the Canada Shipping Act 2001 and Regulations.
regards,
george
Captain George Karras
Sr. Marine Safety Inspector
Transport Canada Marine Safety
Nanaimo, BC
Tel. 250-754-0244
Fax 250-754-0245

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

quote:Originally posted by richmake

I'll put it another way...If your going to try and get your boat passed through the SVIP...they require you to have these courses to run the vessel under that program...I guess that is another way to put it.

Mine was passed spring of 2007 with no SVOP.
mine passed last spring as well...but they tell me the rules changed for us July1/07...or not...depends who you talk to.

Well...Now I'm just as confused as well...maybe just not do any of it and see how it goes...I'd error on the side of caution myself...

Already done everything but MEDA3...which I'm doing in the new year...it's the SVOP situation that has me lost.

SVOP[xx(]

Another great course to show us how to run a boat. I agree with Last Chance, I did the Med A2 which also covers the Med A1 and it had some decent info on firefighting and Stabillity,but more oriented to launching a 30 foot liferaft off a freighter and or deploying a 25 man raft in a pool. I am in compliance with my c # and inspection, however this SVOP is a bit hard to swallow, do we all take a turn at the helm on the Coho? Or perhaps a run through Active Pass on a Spirit Class Ferry?

I whole heartedly agree that the course is a bit much...4 days...most of which we already know from years of experience...
You can challenge the exam for the vhf test but not the SVOP I don't think.
Rumor has it that the guy's that get it now...will be the lucky one's before the price goes up.
Let's not for a minute think that these new reg's weren't supported by the larger group's such as the huge outfit's at Langara.
They were the first to get all the guides registered for the courses as well as asked for huge inforcement for the upcoming season...
I for one think I fish in a area of minimal preasure compared to most and I'm hoping that the small group of guides we fish with can come together and get along this season...
It's been a long time but I think most outfits are willing to work together ...not against eachother...
I can only speak for myself but when I get multiple or large bookings..I only pass on the business to the guide's with inspections and the proper insurance...covers my clients and my butt.
Eventually...this will...one way or another...keep the true professionals in and the not so professional out.
Just a few thoughts is all.

I whole heartedly agree that the course is a bit much...4 days...most of which we already know from years of experience...
You can challenge the exam for the vhf test but not the SVOP I don't think.
Rumor has it that the guy's that get it now...will be the lucky one's before the price goes up.
Let's not for a minute think that these new reg's weren't supported by the larger group's such as the huge outfit's at Langara.
They were the first to get all the guides registered for the courses as well as asked for huge inforcement for the upcoming season...
I for one think I fish in a area of minimal preasure compared to most and I'm hoping that the small group of guides we fish with can come together and get along this season...
It's been a long time but I think most outfits are willing to work together ...not against eachother...
I can only speak for myself but when I get multiple or large bookings..I only pass on the business to the guide's with inspections and the proper insurance...covers my clients and my butt.
Eventually...this will...one way or another...keep the true professionals in and the not so professional out.
Just a few thoughts is all.

Well said. Let's hope that can happen...I know we are all for getting along...but others might not be. Time shall tell I suppose.

Here it is...cleared it up.

David

Here is the information you sought

Under the Marine Personnel Regulations (MPR) and assuming that we are dealing with passenger-carrying vessel of not more than 5 grass tonnage (perhaps more than 8m which is of no consequence in this case), operating within 25 nautical miles from shore, and the master is the only crew member required on board, that person needs the following

1. On-board familiarization.
2. Marine basic first aid.
3. ROC-MC or ROC-MQ(if issued after 1 Jan 2005)
4. MED with respect to small non pleasure vessel Basic safety (MED 3) before acquiring total of 6 months sea service.
5. SVOP staring on November 7, 2009.

Regards
Capt. Masoud Jahani - M.M - LLb. (UK)
Senior Marine Inspector Transport Canada
Compliance and Enforcement / Gestionnaire, conformité et application des règlements
Telephone: (604) 666 - 5462
Fax: (604) 666 - 9177
Email : jahanim@tc.gc.ca
# 400 - 800 Burrard Street / # 400 - 800 rue Burrard
Vancouver, BC V6Z 2J8 / Vancouver C.-B. V6Z 2J8
http://www.tc.gc.ca

Back