SVIAC Ltr. to DFO Re 2016 Fraser River Chinook Regs.

SVIAC

The Board at SVIAC are very concerned about the potential closure of areas 19 and 20, or any other severe regulation changes that negatively impact the recreational fishing in said areas this summer. We are working very hard to let DFO and the involved politicians know that we are strongly against any severe fishing restrictions in areas 19 and 20 that are not based upon reliable data, supporting sound conservation measures that involve all stakeholder groups.

Attn: Rebecca Reid Regional
Director General – Pacific Region
VIA EMAIL
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
200–401 Burrard Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3S4

Dear Rebecca,

I was forwarded a DFO letter from Jeff Grout dated April 26th, 2016 seeking stakeholder input on a 2016 Fraser Chinook proposal. Consistent with the unanimous position already expressed to DFO by the Sport Fishing Advisory Board Executive Committee and the SFAB IHPC reps, SVIAC does NOT support the department’s proposal. Maintaining Zone 1 fishing restrictions for the public’s salmon fishery during a large part of the summer season regardless of abundance of Fraser Spring and Summer 5-2 Chinook is unacceptable to SVIAC’s board of directors and our 700 members.

The Haro and Juan de Fuca Straits’ public salmon fishery already endures significant restrictions for five months each year. This fishery has also been plagued with intolerable uncertainty, shifting targets and late notice without any relief from DFO since 2008. While those regulations have been extremely difficult for the south island angling community to adjust to, they have been honoured for conservation sake. Your department’s 2016 proposal places yet more hardship on south island anglers for reasons other than conservation. Anglers have already made huge sacrifices and believe the limit has already been reached. Further restrictions or a closure in June and July will be perceived as punitive and will unfairly damage the positive social and economic values this important fishery provides.

As president of SVIAC I am seriously concerned by this DFO proposal, because if implemented, it sets a dangerous precedent. Not only does this proposal abandon the abundance-based management policy, but it constitutes an unwarranted discrimination against the recreational fishing sector and other Canadians. The Haro and Juan de Fuca Strait salmon angling community has met or exceeded your department’s conservation targets at each and every point since 2008. To properly recognize the importance of the public’s recreational fishery around the south island as well as support the principles in the Recreational Vision Document, DFO should implement the standardization proposal already submitted by the SFAB.

Yours sincerely,

Christopher Bos
President,
South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition

Cc’d: Jeff Grout Kelly Binning

Very well said, Chris. You're letter sums up the matter perfectly. As a SVIAC member, thanks for sending that on our behalf.
Jim.

Yes, thank you for getting the word out, Chris, Martin. I was at the Sooke Chamber last night and there seems to be little awareness out there. I stopped short when I realized I didn't understand what Zone 1 restrictions are.

I would appreciate some clarification. Is this the slot size restriction?

If we are forced to live through zone 1 restrictions it has meant we will have a 85cm size limit on the one wild fish we can keep. Two Chinook per day, 1 hatchery no upper size limit and 1 wild no larger than 85cm,,,which is about 21-22 pounds max. That is what we had the last time we were stuck in zone 1. That ran from the Father's Day weekend until around the 20th of July. We are in zone 1 right now so it could be that this year they intend to keep it as is through July? That is the frustrating part...it is May and nobody knows what is going on.

Here is a recap sent to me by Chris,

regs from last year applied to this year’s dates ...

For area 19-1 to 19-4 and 20-5 the daily limit from Mar 1 to June 17th ...

Zone 1 - 2 Chinook/day wild or hatchery between 45 and 67 cm, only hatchery greater than 67cm (ZONE ONE to protect Nicola 4-2 Chinook in very low abundance)

For area 19-1 to 19-4 and 20-5 the daily limit from June 18 to July 19th ...

Zone 1 - 2 Chinook/day wild or hatchery between 45 and 85 cm, only hatchery greater than 85 cm

Zone 2 - 2 Chinook/day wild or hatchery greater than 45 cm, only ONE greater than 67cm

Zone-3 – Same as Zone 2

There are zones 1, 2, & 3. These are codes for how abundant the Salmon are projected to be; with zone 1 being least abundant (well below average) and zone 3 being most abundant (above average). I have seen some DFO charts that say zone 1 means no targeted fishing for that particular resource even by FN. The restrictions mentioned by profisher above would be a way to not target the Fraser fish in question as they will be larger than 85cm.

Here is a recap sent to me by Chris,

regs from last year applied to this year’s dates ...

For area 19-1 to 19-4 and 20-5 the daily limit from Mar 1 to June 17th ...

Zone 1 - 2 Chinook/day wild or hatchery between 45 and 67 cm, only hatchery greater than 67cm (ZONE ONE to protect Nicola 4-2 Chinook in very low abundance)

For area 19-1 to 19-4 and 20-5 the daily limit from June 18 to July 19th ...

Zone 1 - 2 Chinook/day wild or hatchery between 45 and 85 cm, only hatchery greater than 85 cm

Zone 2 - 2 Chinook/day wild or hatchery greater than 45 cm, only ONE greater than 67cm

Zone-3 – Same as Zone 2

well crap, is that 2nd timeline correct? (on that scenario). It's usually to July 15th? They screwing our derby extending a slot through that weekend as well (if we are even fishing that is!)

It may screw the juan-de-fuca derby as well, although they have alternate dates.
DFO won't likely give us much notice either.

It may screw the juan-de-fuca derby as well, although they have alternate dates.
DFO won't likely give us much notice either.
well, total closure would, but they can survive the slot like always. Wouldn't be as bad for them as there are much more hatchery around in June then July. Mid July, next to no hatchery around.

Ericl et al,

I think your recent post about abundance and the 85 cm slot is a little misleading to the forum readers. You are correct in stating the Spring and Summer 5-2 Fraser Chinook are managed based on returning abundance. These stocks are considered to be a concern, however you make a couple statements that I believe need clarification. It is also helpful for readers to know just how many fish constitutes the abundance level for each zone.

First, the management of Fraser Chinook is, as you state, based on abundance and uses a zone-based approach. The abundance levels are calculated against historic run sizes. The is no "very low abundance" category. The three levels are: Zone 3 = high, above average abundance - greater than 85,001 adult Chinook; Zone 2 - medium, average abundance - between 45,001 and 85,000; and Zone 1 - low, below average abundance - between 1 and 45,000.

In the past decade there has only been one year in "low abundance", which was 2013 where approx 26,000 returned. All fisheries were managed under Zone 1 measures including Juan de Fuca sport. There were FSC fisheries on the river that year too, although limited. This quantity of returning Chinook does not ring of being on the verge of extinction.

Here is an example of how this current management system seems to hurt all of the harvesters: In 2014 DFO predicted a low abundance year for Spring and Summer 5-2 Chinook - so we started in February predicting Zone 1. On June 13 DFO announced the Albion Test Fishery results showed that abundance would be medium, average abundance - between 45,001 and 85,000 (estimating 53,000 as I recall). They changed from Zone 1 to Zone 2 a day before the Juan de Fuca Derby. The end of season run reconstruction work showed a return to the mouth of the Fraser of 93,000 or high, above average abundance. Juan de Fuca got 1 day's notice that fishing restrictions would be relaxed to Zone 2 with better opportunities when in truth there was high return.

Everyone should know that DFO are managing these stocks to an exploitation rate of less than 30% total all fisheries. (i.e. 70% should get back to spawn) That is extremely conservative management to start with. It should also be noted here our Juan de Fuca total exploitation of these passing Fraser Chinook stocks on any given year is around 2.5% of the total run. On Zone 1 years it fall to approx 1.3%. That can hardly be termed a "high risk" factor. These stocks haven't dropped below 25,000 in two decades. Regarding fisheries that is complex as each sector has time, area and gear measures placed upon them, but there are still fisheries in the river under zone 1. The recreational sector on the Fraser has been decimated by their regs.

The second point that needs clarification is your use of the term "target". It implies something that is technically incorrect. Our Juan de Fuca recreational salmon fishery is a mixed stock fishery that doesn't "target" any specific stock group of Chinook or Coho. The chance of intercepting a specific Chinook is entirely dependant on the percentage of that stock group being present at that time. A vast majority of the fish caught in Juan de Fuca are of USA origin. From March 1 to mid-June the 67 cm slot is somewhat tolerable as there are larger hatchery USA Chinook present and our expectation as an angler to keep a big fish is still there. We are protecting Nicola 4-2 Chinook at that time of year. The slot size regulation has anglers release spawning sized fish. There is a 15% mortalitly charged against released fish added to our catch data. Once mid-June arrives there is a lower percentage of US fish appearing in our catch.

Hope that clears things up.

SVIAC has just launched a postcard campaign to further get our message about Fraser regulations across to DFO in Ottawa. The cards are available on the counter in all the local tackle shops. If you are going to buy any tackle please take the time to fill one out. FYI - No postage necessary when you send a letter/postcard to an MP in Ottawa.

Attached is the postcard artwork can see what they look like ...

Attachments

• 2016 SVIAC Postcard.pdf
    519.3 KB · Views: 18
There are 2000 of these printed so lets make sure all get filled out and they all land on his desk just prior to him making his decision!!!

Pretty funny how most of the early stock Fraser fish are 6 to 15lbs....
Most if not all the early early stock won't break 18lbs. Average Nicola and tribs early springs won't be over 12lbs.

Last edited:
Today would be the earliest we would have an announcement but not likely.

I heard they have until June 1st to make announcement on our fishing regs for the season. Any one heard different?

Back