Suzuki DF 6 oil leaky

Slabbedout

I bought a 2020 6hp Suzuki that the owner claimed was seized, because it leaked oil and the pull cord was stuck. I finally got around to playing with it today. I pulled the spark plug and found the cylinder full of oil. A few pulls cleared most of the oil and I cleaned the plug up. After this she was easy to pull but the carb was full of oil too.

My question is are these motors super sensitive to being transported or stored any other way than with the head up ? All my research said as as long as the prop is not facing the ground they should be fine. Just seems strange that it could fill the cylinder with oil easily unless it was held upside down.

I just sold my 6 hp great motors, have a 9.9 now. Bet it was lay on is side incorrect, or up side down. Prop to the ground or upside down are the wrong way to store. Clean up all the oil, bet its just fine.

I pulled the bowl off and gently blew out the carb with some carb cleaner through the fuel inlet and from underneath. After pulling on the thing for a hour and giving it multiple splashes of fuel into the cylinder I managed to get it to fire up. The motor runs fine at idle but barely runs past 1/2 throttle. I am thinking the float is possibly heavy from oil ? Or maybe slightly blocked jet ?

Any suggestions to clean the oil residue out ? I will pull the carb apart and clean it out better if needed just thinking carb cleaner may not remove oil all that great.

The motor is basically brand new so nothing is dirty, it just looks like ALL the oil from the crank leaked out and got into the cylinder, exhaust and carb.

I was told by the previous owner that he had it on a boat at the lake and he went to use it and the cord was impossible the pull and all the oil had leaked out. These portable 4 strokes are new to me but the amount of oil that had leaked out was pretty substantial.

Get a carb rebuild kit and see if it works. It turns over now so you are looking good. New carb might get it running nice and you might have hit the lotto if you didn’t pay too much for it

Sounds like the guy laid it on its side, filled cylinders with oil, and thought it was toast. As long as he didn’t blow any rings and valves, you should be able to get her going again

Sounds like the guy laid it on its side, filled cylinders with oil, and thought it was toast. As long as he didn’t blow any rings and valves, you should be able to get her going again

Yeah I bought it sight unseen for a good deal and had a friend pick it up. I had intentions of pulling it apart and having to replace the piston / rings. I am hopeful the valves and rings are fine.

Back