superflush

ziggy

Looking at getting a system to flush out my manifolds and risers. I'm Moored year round and would like to be able to fresh water flush and maybe add antifreeze. Has anybody any experience with the superflush system?

Thanks TenMile, will check it out.

Hi Ziggy,

See my post on this from a few years back. I did end up installing a system from Marinetechgroup and it worked great. No plastic materials -- all bronze/stainless -- can be used to backflush your leg and for flushing your manifolds/risers with Salt-Away, Antifreeze etc... Also can be used in an emergency as a bilge pump.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...Engine-Flush-for-I-O&highlight=in-water+flush

Hey Ten Mile. I would like to get one of these for my Volvo I/O. More for when I take it out of the water and want to run and flush the engine out. Winterizing too.
Right now I use a boot on the leg attached to the hose but it does not fit well and a lot of the water leaks out. Worried about not getting enough to the water pump and then not enough through the engine while it is running..
This device looks great in that you can hook the hose right to it but wont half the water just go back down the leg? How does that work for anti-freeze?
I see the usefulness while in the water in that you can flush both ways but almost think you need another valve to shut off flow to the leg and then just go through the engine for running flush and winterizing.
Any suggestions?

The device that I purchased, has 3 valves on it. One valve that controls the garden hose water flow. One valve that controls the flow of water towards the heat exchanger through the impeller, and one valve that controls the flow of water from the leg.

To flush the cooling system -- I'd hook up the garden hose connected to a SaltAway dispenser and turn it on on the Fresh Water setting, start the engine, open all 3 valves. I'd then close off the valve for the leg and switch the SaltAway so that the concentrate was flowing through the cooling system. Once I saw the soapy bubbles come out of the leg, I'd shut off the engine. Could back-flush the leg at that point as well by opening that valve. I'd then close off the garden hose valve.

To winterize, you follow the same steps, but you put a length of garden hose in a bucket of Anti-Freeze (the safe to Animals kind) and run it liberally through your cooling system. Note that I never did this so can't comment on how safe that is in terms of getting all the water out to prevent freezing.

Back