Submerged buoy Elk Lake

Was out fishing on Elk Lake Friday June 03 when one line hooked and broke off on something off bottom.
Looked behind the boat and saw what looked like a submerged buoy about 2 feet below the surface.
Backed up and grabbed the rope with my boat hook and pulled up a white buoy about 15 inches in diameter,
about 20 feet of rope, 8 feet of chain and a large concrete block. Also managed to recover my lure which
had hooked the rope as well as another anglers' lure. Turned out to be just like one of the old Victoria
Rowing Society buoys. This was in 32 feet of water off Hamsterly Beach. Needless to say, the buoy, rope
and chain were removed from the lake. Was a good day fishing with about 18 fish on. Kept two identical
twins measuring 18-1/2 inches and weighing 2 lb 6 oz. Lost another at least as big. Fish were excellent
eating.

Not the first time our beloved Rowing Club have left bouys in the lake. I have a few myself. You would be surprised at the amount of regatta leftovers that are in the lake. If you have ever dived in the lake you will know what I mean. I have a rather large collection of lost tackle from these things.

Back