Sturgeon

Sea Chaser

Crew Member
My buddy just bought a jet boat and wants to get set up for some sturgeon fishing. I’m more equipped to offer advice on salt water fishing so hoping you guys could give some advice on some good gear
Rods ?
Reels?
gear etc
Thanks in advance

My buddy just bought a jet boat and wants to get set up for some sturgeon fishing. I’m more equipped to offer advice on salt water fishing so hoping you guys could give some advice on some good gear
Rods ?
Reels?
gear etc
Thanks in advance
Shimano Technium (for sturgeon not salmon)
TLD20 with 100-150 pound main braid
Braided nylon sturgeon leader (96 lb is what I have)
Gamakatsu 8/0 octopus hooks
Kodiak swivels (or similar ball bearing swivels)
Crinoline fabric with stretchy spider thread for tying sacks
Heavy rectangle weights (18-20oz)
Plastic beads

pretty much it that I can think of

Just checked the rod. 8’ Heavy, Extra fast action. Would also recommend a fighting belt, makes life much easier on the bigger fish. Copious amounts of beer and a good book are also nice to have for those SLOOWWW days
Almost forgot….a gaff makes collecting floaters for stink bait easier. Hope u have a strong stomach.

I keep remembering more things…I really like the Orca rod holder for sturgeon. Being able to grab the rod and set the hook in one motion really ups your chances of hooking up. IMO when they’re being finicky, any additional movement (lifting rod out of holder) can turn them off.
200 ft anchor rope, river anchor, large buoy and a drift sock. I run the same rods reels lines and hooks as pdfish.
yes, I would also add 15 feet of chain

All good comments!

I go with braided 200 leader, easier on their face!

40' of chain as I don't trust the rope (personal thing!).... most of the water I usually fish is 30'

When the Technium first came out I was approached by the company to put the rod through its paces. They sent me 4 rods and other gear to try.

Long story short, 10+ years it took me to be able to finally break a couple.

I went big on the reels, Penn International two speed.

Smallest hook I use is 8/0. Favorite is the 9/0...good barrel swivels is key too

Another little know (well maybe not anymore) secret was doing a little grinding/mod on your holder. You cannot stop the boat from the stern swaying back and forth, so there was a guy local who would make up a collar with a tensioner. I was a vision of beauty when you have 4 rods out and the boat would swing, but the lines would hold true.

Bait of choice is whatever is swimming or floating at the time you are fishing. Fresher the better (or stinkier). Slow times I found that oolichan would work year round.

Killer bait was a pink head (doe size)

On another forum, at one time, we had a 200 page thread detailing everything about sturgeon fishing.

Please make sure you follow the rules outlined for sturgeon in our waters.

Fighting belts.... the "mangina"..... always fun to tease your buddies when they ask for the belt. I let women and kids use them, will tease men about using it! Does work wonders on bigger fish!

Don't drop anchor too fast as you do have more control of the big ones if you stay anchored.

Nothing beats seeing a 7-8' fish come straight up out of the water, then the 2-300 yard runs with your drag set tight....

Man, I could talk about this all day!

Rods ?
Reels?
gear etc
Thanks in advance
Where does your buddy live?

On another forum, at one time, we had a 200 page thread detailing everything about sturgeon fishing.

Please make sure you follow the rules outlined for sturgeon in our waters.
The Incredible Sturgeon Thread! Good times. Was it a fellow named Tony who modified the rod holders to swivel?

Back