Sturgeon

Quite the different angling landscape on the Fraser compared to even 10 years ago. The only fish left to angle for with the river closed to Salmon and even Trout this past summer and we can all see where this is going with Sturgeon. I guess the guiding outfits will have to start going after the coarse fish.

Sturgeon closure coming.

Attachments

• IMG_1720.JPG
    IMG_1720.JPG
    172.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1721.JPG
    IMG_1721.JPG
    136.9 KB · Views: 40
Only the beginning

They are going to soften us up before dropping the hammer just like the tidal regs

I think anyone could see regulation changes coming. I would have preferred a closure during the winter but as Aces suggests, that's probably in the near future.

Having grown up in ontario with many closures around the times fish spawn I've been shocked that we haven't had that already for Sturgeon. I totally support eliminating the pressure on the fish completely during their spawn. I would love to hear an argument against it.

This isn’t about conservation it’s about keeping eyes off that section of the river!
During freshet(june) there is maybe a handful of boats in that section on a busy day.
If it was about conservation they would limit the amount of pressure on the constant beat down of sturgeon in the fall.
The daily abuse of the fish in the fall is sickening!

Once again with DFO/MOE a closure that has nothing to do with true conservation.

Last edited:
Not DFO but in fact MOE as the closure is for above the Mission bridge in the non tidal freshwater section of the Fraser. They are saying the month of June is a prime spawning month. I wonder if they will be enforcing the ongoing poaching problem during this closure when there are no eyes and ears on the river.

Last edited:
This isn’t about conservation it’s about keeping eyes off that section of the river!
During freshet(june) there is maybe a handful of boats in that section on a busy day.
If it was about conservation they would limit the amount of pressure on the constant beat down of sturgeon in the fall.
The daily abuse of the fish in the fall is sickening!

Once again with DFO/MOE a closure that has nothing to do with true conservation.
I agree there are multiple problems with this fishery as there is with all of them. However, you can't honestly say that shutting down the fishery to relieve stress on the fish during the spawn isn't going to help.

Should there be a guide limit? YES
Should they eliminate the ridiculous nets? YES
Should all populations of fish that are potentially in trouble have no pressure on them during their spawn? YES

Agree completely with what you are saying.

However this closure has nothing to with conservation.

Last edited:
Anyone been out lately? Ive been out a couple times in the last couple months. Couple bites a day(only a couple hours with lines in the water) on eulachon.

Back