Sturgeon - false media report & false advertising

Status
Not open for further replies.
seadna,

I don't know how you measure or measured sturgeon in WA.

When you are reporting it to public media and talking about "RECORD FISH" thus gaining International newspaper media coverage you would measure it as fork length.

When you advertise it as "RECORD FISH" on your website it should be measured as fork length.

Dean know this. That is why it was submitted as 10' 8" long, the "proper" measurement to the FRSCS.

Have you ever been quoted in a newspaper? I have and it's not at all unusual for a newspaper to publish their take on the story. I can easily see the following scenario - Newspaper reporter - "Dean, how big was that fish?", Dean - "It was 10'8" to the fork, 12' 4" overall and almost 60" at the girth. We estimate it was over 1000lbs". Resulting headline - "1000lb, 12'4" Sturgeon caught." You really don't see that you're making a big deal out of nothing? I also took the time to look at Dean's website. I don't see a single claim there of any sturgeon being an official record fish (I see one claim of a record but I read that as a personal record for Hunter, the fisherman). Again, you really don't see that you're making a big deal out of nothing?

You know what, I'm gonna give you this one.

Thats some pretty uptight **** you got happening. Why would someone withdrawn funding for sturgeon over a few inches? Makes no sense to me, but I fully believe you.

We each have our wars and this is certainly yours... Keep up the good fight!

So what are you saying Osama Bin Hopper? I don't now what "idiots at the lodge" you are referring to, nor do I care. Nor do I expect you to grasp the significance of this issue if you are not an active sturgeon fisher.

Let me ask a few questions ....

Is that lodge directly involved in reporting tagging information that includes the sturgeon length to the Fraser River Stugeon Conservation Society? Do their exagerated fish lengths almost cause serious issues with the FRSCS where sponsors threaten to withdraw funding? Without funding how long do you think the FRSCS would survive? Without the FRSCS how long do you think a C & R fishery for sturgeon would exist? Is it not true that the only reason there is a C & R fishery for sturgeon in the lower Fraser River is because of the ongoing conservation research and measures being taken?

When something happens to threaten the sport you say you love why do you sit back and do nothing about it? We aren't talking about Joe fisherman here that goes out and brags that his catch is bigger than it was by 4 inches. There is no financial reward for Joe fisherman in doing that is there?

Isn't the playing field a little different when we are talking about a guiding company, and a person who is supposedly a sturgeon conservationist, who intentionally lie about the proper measured length of a catch to receive national media attention? Isn't it different when that person/company continues to use that false information to promote their business for their own personal and financial gain?

Maybe you don't agree with me and this isn't important to you ........... that is your personal right.

But if you ask me if it is wrong my answer is ................ HELL YEAH!!

Hi salmonboy,

That is a question only Dean can answer salmonboy.

That is precisely the issue here ......... that you don't measure sturgeon 2 different ways. One the correct way as it should be reported. Another to use for your own personal gain.
Who cares! Sounds like a jealous school boy. Go back to B.C.F.R,maybe someone there will care.

Yes, I have been quoted in the newpaper. If mis-quoted in the news paper ......... then why does he use those same measurments on his website seadna? Perhaps just another mis-quote?

Have you ever been quoted in a newspaper? I have and it's not at all unusual for a newspaper to publish their take on the story. I can easily see the following scenario - Newspaper reporter - "Dean, how big was that fish?", Dean - "It was 10'8" to the fork, 12' 4" overall and almost 60" at the girth. We estimate it was over 1000lbs". Resulting headline - "1000lb, 12'4" Sturgeon caught." You really don't see that you're making a big deal out of nothing? I also took the time to look at Dean's website. I don't see a single claim there of any sturgeon being an official record fish (I see one claim of a record but I read that as a personal record for Hunter, the fisherman). Again, you really don't see that you're making a big deal out of nothing?

Thanks for you insight Dennis T. I really appreaciate your usual highly intellectual feedback. At least I for one know I AM welcome at BCFR.

This thread should be locked and deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry James... I had to ;)

28737057.jpg

Your right on how to measure fish, and I know u sturgeon guys take it seriously, no one really knows(or cares) the exact length! Lets be happy for the guy,instead of tearing him down, whether it was 10ft or 12ft..it was a monster, not sure why u r so interested of disproving him...its not a record fish!
This thread is a waste of time, and I should have never responded to it!
Dont forget were talking about fishing!

Hi salmonboy,

That is a question only Dean can answer salmonboy.

That is precisely the issue here ......... that you don't measure sturgeon 2 different ways. One the correct way as it should be reported. Another to use for your own personal gain.

I really appreaciate your usual highly intellectual feedback. At least I for one know I AM welcome at BCFR.

*Knock on wood

Sorry Stu I had to do that one too
:D

Hey gofishing..... Scientific/official reporting method = fork length. That's how he recorded and reported it.... As for the "unofficial" and spoken of length, he allegedly used tip of snout to tip of tail. Whats wrong with that ? He documented his fish correctly per the "rules".
If you had a 10'8 "officially" measured (by whatever rules of measurement are dictated by the governing body) piece of whatever, and it could only be carried in a 12'4 container.... How long would you describe it as being, when not speaking to the "official" measuring group ?
I don't know Dean personally, but I do know of his reputation (super solid), and his activism to preserve and promote Fraser sturgeon.
As for getting on a soapbox to further the cause of Fraser sturgeon, why don't you go after one of the issues that deserves it ? Right..... They are touchy subjects, so easier to pick on the boastful guy. Yuck.

^^^^^^^^^^

Marketing right?

Lippy.... The interwebs are hard to read intent..... Was your reply an agreement, as in "let the dude market his business".... Or was it directed at my reply ? If the latter, nope. Just the opinion of an island bound former mainland sturgeon fisherman.

I agree with what you said ;)

I know there are a lot of site members here that do not fish for sturgeon, nor do many of you really know or care about it.

For those that do not know, sturgeon became an endangered species as per The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC) and the Government of Canada added all white sturgeon (except those in the lower and middle Fraser River), to the list of species protected under the Species at Risk Act (SARA) in August 2006. A catch and release fishery was allowed contingent that ongoing monitoring, recovery planning and research take place. The sturgeon catch & release fishery, unlike any other fishery, is very closely monitored by Fisheries & Oceans Canada (DFO), Government (Ministry of Forests, Lands & Natural Resource Operations), the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society, and many other private conservation groups. Thefore, the validity and accuracy of the information collected, and that reported to the media is of utmost importance.

To clarify, some of the problems and concerns this type of false reporting and false advertising cause include;

A) Questions being asked by sponsors to the Fraser River Sturgeon Conservation Society about data integrity and accuracy to the point that some threaten to withdraw funding,
B) Unethical representation where a "sturgeon steward" as a member of the sturgeon tagging program reports and uses false information for their own personal benefit,
C) It attracts a drastic increase in fishing pressure that wouldn't otherwise occur,
D) It destroys the true meaning about "record length" sturgeon catches when compared to those measured properly for that determination,
E) It may breed even more false reporting from other lesser-established guiding businesses that feel they cannot compete otherwise.

Contrary to some statements, I do not have an axe to grind with Dean Werk. My concern is purely for the sturgeon and the fishery. I am aware of his contributions and used to admire him for it. But IMO, a person needs to maintain a respectable level of trust and ethics no matter how much they volunteer and/or contribute to a cause. Although the FRSCS has asked him to stop doing so, Mr. Werk continues to use this fictional (now 3.8 Meter long) "record length" sturgeon within his latest groupon ad.

Stewart​

I remember when we could keep small ones. Fished Fraser for 20+ yrs. I know what I'm talking about. Give your well ground axe a rest. Kudos to Dean, he got clients into a monster. That was measured, tagged, and released. (and reported as such FORK LENGTH). Sorry, but with all the other things going on with Fraser sturgeon, not sure what your hang up is with this. Non effing issue compared to rest,

I do fish sturgeon and know a thing or two about them and I can tell you are not only wasting your own time but ours also. It's a non issue. Go back to work buddy.

Kudos to Dean, he got clients into a monster. That was measured, tagged, and released. (and reported as such FORK LENGTH).

You are correct 10' 8" is an awesome catch and one any sturgeon fisher should be proud of. But to say it is 12' 4" (and now even larger) for your own personal gain is WRONG! Why lie openly to your clients and to the papers to gain international attention for your business? Why not leave it at 10' 8" and be done with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back