Sturgeon at it's best

bananas

Got a chance to go sturgeon fishing yesterday and what a day it was,we left from Mission and headed up river,a few miles. we had are first fish to the boat before our guide could get a third rod out,and that was just the start 7hours and three guys with sore arms and backs we had 20 fish to the boat.

Some of the big ones 8.4,7.7,6.9,6.6,6.6,6.2,6.0 and out of all the rest only three were under 5ft.

From a guy who fishes salmon and hally 100 days a year what an incredible fishery and now i'm going to have toi buy a jet sled.

i have been wanting to go on a guided sturgeon trip for the last few years. what was the name of the outfit/guide and approx cost?? if you dont mind.

Steve

quote:Originally posted by fishflyguy89

i have been wanting to go on a guided sturgeon trip for the last few years. what was the name of the outfit/guide and approx cost?? if you dont mind.

Steve
In the past I've fished with Dean Werk from http://www.greatriverfishing.com and had a great time all kinds of fish.

Carl Z
Vancouver

kidphotors6.jpg

Wow, i dont live far from the san juan, that is amazing. maybe i shouldent go to the fraser. i wonder if anyone has ever targeted them in the san juan. i never even knew they were in the river. thanks for the link Bananna's. Congrat's on the trip.

-Steve

Probaly would have just as much success targeting them in the bath. It says right in the article this was the only one ever caught there adn it made it sound like it was snagged. EIther way pretty cool

interesting, i guess you never know what is lurking in the water. thats why we keep fishing. but hey if one is caught then why not try to target them. considering i almost gaurentee nobody ever has. you never know. can sturgeon enter salt water? being 90 pound it must have been there a long time. Amazing. and it was also released so i know there is atleast one still in there :>

-Steve

One in 20 White Sturgeon is a truly anadromous fish, I can tell when I've got one on because they are a sleeker/more silvery looking animal that literally kicks</u> butt</u> during a fight.

Normally I can winch a 6' Sturgeon to the boat in 5 minutes but last year I had a 4' sea run fish that took twice that long and was full of fight when it was released, amazingly powrful for it's size.

As to travelling to different rivers Fraser fish have been caught in the Columbia, a friend of mine saw one in the San Juan River years ago and OBMG has snagged a few from the puker boats over the years so they do get around.

kidphotors6.jpg

Sturgeon venture to the ocean. Thats part of their gig. Most river systems around the island will have sturgeon at given times of the year. Cowichan and the Somass are noted particularily.

Nothing however like the bumper crop of the Fraser. That type of brakish water and glacial siltation coupled with massive returns of salmon have sustained the estimated 90,000 sturgeon in that river for centuries.

The declining stocks of salmon will do nothing in favour of those fish however.[V]

The name of our guide wasCurtis Besse of lucky this fishing.I've been on a couple guided trips now and he was far more professional,and worked very hard for us.5stars in my books.

On another note i have also seen them in the san juan rite beside my boat.

I did hear that the cowichan river had a few. I dident knwo they entered the ocean. I cant wait to go for a guided trip tho. jsut to see one in real life will be worth the $$

Back