Stupid gas corporate decision

Cuba Libre

Decided to bite the bullet and put some gas in my boat. Normally I fill up with regular gas at Safeway for as I get 5 cent a litre discount for grocery purchases over $35. But I decided to check out Mohawk/Husky on Cliffe Ave in Courtenay as they usually have marine at 7-8cents per liter off the regular price.. Couldnt believe it--- their price for regular is 132.9 per litre and 131.9 for marine Must be some mistake I said to the clerk.... Nope-- the order just came down from head office to all of their stations to mark up the marine. Sure-- its mid grade, but even so--- one cent a litre????? Ripoff!! Back to Safeway, and with my discount it was still atrocious at $127.9 , but a lot better than Husky.

Pays to shop around.

I pay $1.40/litre for amrine gas so you have it pretty darn good

Notice that as vehicles are produced that get higher gas mileage, the gas rates shoot up to compensate for the loss?

Regular gas out in mission at the superstore is 133.9 now. I opened a presidents choice chequing account simply as a gas card because you get a 7c per liter discount for paying with your card. So if I'm willing to cart jerry cans around then I can fill my boat for 126.9 right now. Last summer it was 111.4.

Fuel dock in Richmond seems to be 1.43-1.52 depending upon the time of year.

Notice that as vehicles are produced that get higher gas mileage, the gas rates shoot up to compensate for the loss?
Or it could have something to do with a few billion chinese and indian citizens wanting to drive cars too....

Then why is gas so cheap in Mexico. Always way less than a dollar/L? Tax?

Bizzniss rule # 1. always milk the cow with the biggest teats!

I gave them a call to voice my displeasure and the gentleman said he would only talk about it face to face. What's with that?;) eman

I suspect that the guys at the station dont like it any more than we do, but they do what the head office tells them--- but since they dont know who they are talking to-- they are careful. The gas jockey I talked to was shaking his head too.

oops double post

Last edited by a moderator:
I just bought 430 liters the other day at Mosquito Creek at 1.51 per liter
as a tenant there I do get a bit of a discount 1.6% which really doesn't amount to much
my bill was 655.07 and a wopping disc of 10.87
good thing I wasn't empty, and whoever said gas was the cheapest part of boating was wrong
for me at least 1 tank of fuel is equivalent to a years insurance, a fews years back maybe but not anymore
fuel costs have risen in some cases 50% or more over the last few years, my business depends on fuel to operate and its a real kick in the pants right now

I just bought 430 liters the other day at Mosquito Creek at 1.51 per liter
as a tenant there I do get a bit of a discount 1.6% which really doesn't amount to much
my bill was 655.07 and a wopping disc of 10.87
good thing I wasn't empty, and whoever said gas was the cheapest part of boating was wrong
for me at least 1 tank of fuel is equivalent to a years insurance, a fews years back maybe but not anymore
fuel costs have risen in some cases 50% or more over the last few years, my business depends on fuel to operate and its a real kick in the pants right now

If you're doing charters then your insurance should be about 4 times that tank of fuel. How much are you paying in moorage and maintenance costs?

The point that seems to be missed is that there is no road tax on marine-- Is this a ripoff?? YES... the extra is going into the corporate bank account

The point that seems to be missed is that there is no road tax on marine-- Is this a ripoff?? YES... the extra is going into the corporate bank account
You are right on that score!! Have you tried the shell bottom of Mission hill. The difference USED to be about 8-10cents a litre!!

If you're doing charters then your insurance should be about 4 times that tank of fuel. How much are you paying in moorage and maintenance costs?

No charters here, moorage is better part of 4g, and I do all my own maint so about 5-700 year
but yes the point being is dock fuels are more money then pump fuels on land which is BS,
the marina gives the excuse its partly a delivery cost to get it out to the docks

Fuel 10 days ago at Shell in Kelowna was $1.24 then up to $1.32 then a few days before the long weekend it went to $1.42.
Yesterday I stopped at OK lake resort to check out the fuel price on the water and maybe put in 300 Lt, It was $1.82 Lt for marked gas which was only 87 Octane. Mark gas in Vic is 89 octane

I think I will pull the boat to the gas station and save the $.40 per Lt or the $120 for 300 Lt and put in some 90+ octane and still save $$$

The gas company is making $$$ but at the same time the station on the water is making $$$$

Back