stubborn fishwell pump cartridge

Matt16

Trophy 2052. I've got a Johnson cartridge fishwell pump stuck in its housing. I've twisted it as hard as I can and its not budging. Its only been in there a year. Ideas? Boiling water? WD40 or penetrating oils seem a bad idea on plastic/rubber.

Ideas? this has to have happened to another Trophy owner before.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that you have the locking tab pulled out the you are twisting?? If you have easy access to it check to see that see that this slot where the lock tab goes is not filled or plugged with crap. I'm assuming that the cartridge is the same as those on the Johnson bilge pump. If not then my comments may not apply.

Yeah, got a locking tab, but I've opened it. It seems like the friction between the O-ring and the housing is binding, somehow. There is some grit in the fish well, but not sure what I can do about this.

Yeah, got a locking tab, but I've opened it. It seems like the friction between the O-ring and the housing is binding, somehow. There is some grit in the fish well, but not sure what I can do about this.
You should be able to take the large plastic nut off from inside the fish well, then take the whole pump out and look to see whats wrong with it

Back