Straights of Juan De Fuca / Georgia Halibut Areas

fishchaser

I am putting out a request for help from the local halibut experts as I am looking for halibut areas inside the Straights of Juan De Fuca & Georgia. My family and I usually spend summers on our boat in Ucluelet, however this year we are looking at staying at various areas in the San Juan Islands. With the Washington Halibut seasons being so short, I was wondering if there are any good areas inside instead of having to venture west to coastal water’s? We generally fish Big Bank, South bank and the Stinky Hole along with a few other spots we have marked over the years however I have no idea on areas inside. Any help from you experts is greatly appreciated. Also any productive ling spots would be greatly appreciated.

Many good areas along Haro Straight, Oak Bay flats and along the Straight. Doubt you're going to get my takers on the specific spots, but suffice it to say that if you study your charts the good spots present themselves.

Around our area in the summer, there are plenty of dogfish so it can be somewhat frustrating. Lots of rockfish closure areas so make sure you are aware of the no fishing areas. Most of the Ling Cod are of the smaller variety -- not many of the huge bucket mouth monsters here -- basically anywhere you can find a rocky reef you will find cod.

I am looking for halibut areas inside the Straights of Juan De Fuca & Georgia. My family and I usually spend summers on our boat in Ucluelet, however this year we are looking at staying at various areas in the San Juan Islands. .
We have had success on Middle Bank, south end, just west of San Juan Island
Haro, anywhere from Kelp Reed to Zero Rock
You can drift or anchor both those areas.
Discovery Is. is another good spot.
Constance Bank can be good, but a lot of guys say they got their catch their but might be anywhere from the Mud Flats, to Border Bank (may be call Cayote, not sure) on the border off the Victoria Waterfront.
Don't get too caught up on the exact spot, as you will find them in MANY spots at different times.
FOR SURE, don't drift over someone's anchor or anchor too close to someone already on anchor!
You will see lots of boats in all those areas, so will not be hard to figure out.
Tide change after the ebb is our favorite time with slow tides, but not long dead tides, which you don't get too often.
The dog fish move in soon and stay til October, or sometimes later. That makes bait tough. We generally get our halibut by early May.
If we want to give halibut a go during the summer off these waters, we often go with fish head that the dogs can't get their mouth around.
Then, Sooke and the West Coast is a totally different story.
Good luck

Back