Straight From The Heart - by Bob Hooton

OldBlackDog

I’m not so sure it’ll fall on deaf ears.....the elephant in the room is FN, but there might a couple of elephants in the room. I can imagine that not all the separate factions have been thrilled about those DFO endorsed chum openings downstream. One man’s treasure is another man’s poison.

Meanwhile, anybody with any connection at all to that river wants to see it listed. At those projected numbers for spring spawners, there’s certainly no hope of ever setting foot on its banks carrying a rod again, that’s for sure. And just getting one gill net out of the Fraser would be a triumph of sorts

But it sure is painful thinking about that river when November rolls around. I look at pictures in my collection taken during the good old days and it feels like my heart’s going to burst. And I get phantom-limb syndrome, all of a sudden shaking my head and thinking I’m setting foot into one of those long glorious runs, then realizing I’m standing in my driveway going to get the mail

Both my daughters are named after rapids on that river....
15F6F539-922B-4124-8EB8-4FAD35EB970C.jpeg

The good old days for me was when you could fish all day and never see another human....what an amazing place!

8BDE9C51-C660-4D73-A12E-29F0B91CC1B1.jpeg

C805CB20-E18A-4536-A9DF-AC117C0A88DA.jpeg

11A335D3-1F99-4594-900A-1F896FD062B6.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m not so sure it’ll fall on deaf ears.....the elephant in the room is FN, but there might a couple of elephants in the room. I can imagine that not all the separate factions have been thrilled about those DFO endorsed chum openings downstream. One man’s treasure is another man’s poison.

Meanwhile, anybody with any connection at all to that river wants to see it listed. At those projected numbers for spring spawners, there’s certainly no hope of ever setting foot on its banks carrying a rod again, that’s for sure. And just getting one gill net out of the Fraser would be a triumph of sorts

But it sure is painful thinking about that river when November rolls around. I look at pictures in my collection taken during the good old days and it feels like my heart’s going to burst. And I get phantom-limb syndrome, all of a sudden shaking my head and thinking I’m setting foot into one of those long glorious runs, then realizing I’m standing in my driveway going to get the mail

Both my daughters are named after rapids on that river....
View attachment 72302

The good old days for me was when you could fish all day and never see another human....what an amazing place!

View attachment 72303

View attachment 72306

View attachment 72307
Nice pics sharp! Brings back memories.

I had a golden retriever that upon arriving to the river, would dash into the river for a swim and then find an old humpy to perfume up. He’d stand around for the rest of the day bitching because he was cold. He loved to try and retrieve any steelhead hooked too which caused problems if I was lucky enough to land the fish.

sorry for hijack.

Last edited:
Back