Storing a pontoon boat

Ian_H

This is my first year with a pontoon boat (Southfork). Is there anything special that I should be doing to store it for the winter? Due to lack of space available I was thinking of taking the frame off and reducing the air pressure in each pontoon. Can the pontoons be stored covered but outside in freezing temperatures, or would it be better to store them in the crawl space, cool but not freezing?

Thanks

Ian

I can't see any problem with storing outside, but always better to store where plastics are not exposed to extreme temperatures (don't know your location).
Storage is always a problem with a pontoon ( I sold mine a couple years ago) but still have and use for other stuff the rack I built for it, rack used 4 pieces of electrical conduit, some hooks, bolts, etc., and held the boat up on the garage ceiling. Swung down to put on, or take off, the boat. If it helps I'll send you a picture and a few more notes.

Ian_H, if I took my boat apart, I would deflate the toons and fold them so that they fit into a large canvas hockey bag. Along with the oars as they were two piece and anything else attached. When done I would have the frame in one hand and the remainder of the equipment in the other. This made for easy storage and of course when travelling, if space was an issue. I have also left the boat fully inflated and stored outside with no problems. Most of these boats are durable and capable of most any conditions. Do whatever makes you the most comfortable, crawl space is good, pain to get to sometimes, and the ceiling mount in the garage could also be an answer, did it myself once when I lived in a townhouse.

Thank's for the advice, guys. Time, I would like to take you up on the offer of a picture and a few notes for your ceiling mount.

Ian

My older BB southfork was stored outdoors for a while and now the pontoons are brittle. One split apart last time i inflated it and now i need a new boat. I would go with the ceiling mount if you have the space.

Ian
PM sent.
It may show up in your "notifications" in the header at the top right of the page.

I've been storing my Outcast boats under a full sized tarp, outside, all winter, in the Central Interior, for at least 10 years.
-Reduce pressure to about 1/2
-MAKE SURE that all frame tubes are drained
-Wipe the valves and valve caps with a clean cloth moistenedwith auto rad antifreeze(keeps the rubber rings from freezing and cracking)
-In early Spring, lock open the valves pour in 1/4 cup of methyl hydrate into each bladder, inflate and deflate several times to expel any condensation that has accumulated in the bladders(my initial inflation is done with a shopvac rigged to "blow", the exhaust air is warm and straightens out and severe wrinkles that have formed over thew winter. Let the vac "blow" for a few minutes to make sure the exhaust is dust-free prior to inflating.)
-Open the pontoon case and wipe out any moisture between the outer case and the bladder(I use a soft flannel cloth slightly moistened with vinyl conditioner and methyl hydrate) You'll be shocked at how much grit and dirt has somehow become present between the outer case and the bladders!)

-

Back