Stolen Outboards

Rockfish

I was listening to the car radio this am and there was a news story from the Saanich Police that the numbers of reported thefts of small outboards are way up. The scum are apparently hitting driveways and carports and removing them from boats. As much as I hate to suggest yet another revenue stream for government, it makes me think that a small cost for a lifetime licence for an outboard (tied to the motor serial number) which must be transferred to a new owner, may be worth the cost. I know they would still steal them for parts but I would think the market for stolen motors would drop.

quote:Originally posted by Rockfish

I was listening to the car radio this am and there was a news story from the Saanich Police that the numbers of reported thefts of small outboards are way up. The scum are apparently hitting driveways and carports and removing them from boats. As much as I hate to suggest yet another revenue stream for government, it makes me think that a small cost for a lifetime licence for an outboard (tied to the motor serial number) which must be transferred to a new owner, may be worth the cost. I know they would still steal them for parts but I would think the market for stolen motors would drop.

Getting government involved in another "registry" will not help.

The best line of defense is to record the serial numbers and report them to the police and insurance company if anything happens.

Photographs also help, as do marking the motor with your own ID numbers such as your BCDL # which any police can trace back to you - even if you move. Forget your SIN number - the police do not have access to it for tracing.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

VIOLENCE IS NOT THE ANSWER.... But it helps relieve the stress of having something stolen.[}:)][}:)][}:)]:D

IMG_1445.jpg

my buddy just had his 9.9 4 stroke merc stolen off his boat, which was in his driveway. Pretty pissed about it. It was chained and locked. His neighbor found the bolt cutters in his hedge 2 days later. Unfortunately, the best security is to take it off and store it in your garage...

I am still leaning on the baseball bat.:D

IMG_1445.jpg

I don’t know what the answer is. My kicker cannot be easily removed and replaced. It is a remote model and the fuel line is plumed in. It could however be stolen despite the three locks I have on it. I can also tell you that insurance companies are becoming very concerned about both kickers and downriggers. Some are already doing surcharges for some locations and I would not be surprised to see them start to refuse to cover them altogether, especially if this keeps up. I like to visit pawn shops for DVD’s and I am starting to see more outboards there. As an aside my car was broken into in downtown Victoria last Friday and my IPOD was stolen. The downtown is a real cesspool lately.

Something you may or may not of heard of is tack weld your threads, downfalls hopefully you don't have to remove your kicker allot and the tack welds rust, but it would be noisy and difficult to remove.

Back