Stoker 383 vs BBC

kanuckle head

Still kicking the tire on my re power
I have a SBC rated @ 260 Hp, back in 1984 & maybe 60 percent of that now, dam tired power-plant

I would save less than 200 lbs staying with a SBC but will need more pony's to push my 10K frame. this is why I would need a 383 stroker, or a new 350 FI system to get 300+ hp. but a BB would have more torque @ less load & maybe better fuel economy
Minus on the BB for me would require a an outdrive swap & many more parts

Looking for any one that has a good opinion on this. one thing I know there is no ?? on displacement = more HP & torque, but with that power comes more frequent visits to the pump

Kh

I love SBC's. what ever you pick make sure its fuel injected.

I agree go fuel injucted...when you say 10k frame Im assuming your boat weighs 10,000# ?? if so I would be leaning towards BBC, when I was looking at boats around that weight even with EFI 350 w/ 300hp, approx 9000#, a cruise speed of 27mph the rpms are near 4000...If memory serves me, the same model boat with the big block EFI will be at 27mph at 3300rpm...and with slightly less fuel consumption with the big block

its good to remember a boats hull design/weight takes X amount of energy(torque/hp) to reach any given speed, and fuel burn is almost directly in relation with fuel burned to torque/hp produced (especially with EFI engines, as the burn is so efficient)...so in the example above the engines at 27mph are producing the same power, but at different rpms, and where the BBC creeps ahead is its extra torque...but not by much...where the BBC wins for me is its RPM at a good cruise speed, below 3500rpm, this in theory improves longevity, wear and tear

Also agree on the FI powerplant. Just a thought, but if your leg is also from 1984, probably time for a replacement there too -- 20 years is a good life.

I've got a modern 350 MAG MPI in a boat that's around 10K lbs. Cruises at 25-30Mph around 4000 RPMs with a maximum speed about 35MPH at 4850RPMs. 3800 to 4000 RPMs is the sweet spot for this engine. Hole shot is not the strength of this engine -- however with a BIII leg with dual 4 blade props, performance took a big jump over the standard 3x3 blades. Power/torque is most noticeable when I am in large trailing swells and want that extra push to keep the boat on plane -- otherwise, very happy with the current powerplant and I'll run/fix it until it's dead.

BUT.... if I was repowering (or when I repower) I'd put the 8.2L Seacore in it's place -- if swapping that leg is a consideration, it's where I'd lean. Better low end power and distributor-less ignition -- not cheap however...

A new 383 built by a buddy of mine who has a shop is about 4 grand a 4 barrel carb and manifold about another grand SO is a fuel injection the way to go I didn't cause over ten years I wouldn't recoup the cost of it. PLUS i like the KISS system Ive seen the fuel injection thing fail and $$$$$$ spent but hey if you got 15 grand to spend plus install go ahead too rich for me....

Mine is a 383 at 400 + hp dual up with the volvo dual prop and must say with me and 4 people and rough water NO problem gets up on plane in about 30 ft I run at 3200 to 3400 RPM and cruising at 25 to 29 mph with a burn of about 8 to 10 GPH so im very happy with it, If you need the name of the shop PM me hes done 4 of them for me and my buddies with warranty

Good luck wolf

My wish list is displacement has no replacement a SBC would be less of a refit but having that more power in a BB is well worth the added fuel consumption if you had the power @ hand

My ordeal is I want my VP duo prop Swedish made outdrive to run my repower. Old school to possible EFI new.............Bo Gang in the works, could be a challenge

Kh

Last edited by a moderator:
My wish list is displacement has no replacement a SBC would be less of a refit but having that more power in a BB is well worth the added fuel consumption if you had the power @ hand

My ordeal is I want my VP duo prop Swedish made outdrive to run my repower. Old school to possible EFI new.............Bo Gang in the works, could be a challenge

Kh

The bell housing coupler is the game breaker, if they do not match i may be hooped
The exhaust differential of the old Y pipe @ maybe 2.5 ID to match the newer BB @ almost 4in id may post a challenge, so I may have to result to a Captains call Exhaust built by Corsa

http://www.corsamarine.com/exhaust-systems.aspx
So I can be obnoxiousness on the water, like I am on this forum !! Frick'n loud like a Harley's syndrome

Yes mine is a factory thru hull exhaust as well where are you located? cause if you want you can come down and go for a spin and check it all out if you wish. I can only imagine what that system will cost

wolf

Back