Steering trouble

TGofers

Had er all dialed in and went for first launch with my new to me boat and ended up sitting at the dock. Best news is it floats. No steering. I can manage to get 6 inches up and then I come to a scraming hault and cant push it any further. Motor is not even budging. I am on a cable system. Any thoughts to start trouble shooting.???

six inches side to side on helm or 6 inches on tilt up?

You need to determine if it is in the cable or or in the steering tube. Disconnect the cable(s) @ the motor. If you can now move the engine back and forth, the problem is in the cable(s). Replace as necessary. On the other hand if you cannot move the engine, but now you can turn the wheel easily, the problem is in the tube the steering shaft goes through. Could be caused by a number of things. There may be an adjustment that you can loosen. The shaft may be seized in the tube, from corrosion, lack of lubrication or grease hardening. There may be some grease nipples you can grease. Let us know what you find.

I can steer! Replaced it all. I bought a whole new system and the part that connects the steering to the rack cable is still fine. Free to whom ever needs it. Let me know and thanks for the help.

Back