Startling new research finds large buildup of heat in the oceans, suggesting a faster rate of global

It's nonsense as the majority of Canadians already know.
Slide1.png
At one time a similar graph could be made about low fat diets.https://academic.oup.com/jhmas/article/63/2/139/772615 I think that it is short sighted to use a graph of pubic opinion as a rebuttal to the video particularly in this day and age of unreliable media. Look at media representation on SRKW and the effects that has had on public opinion and the potential devastating consequences that may have on costal communities that rely on Sport fishing.
Anyways, its no surprise nothing in the video was addressed as a response.

Last edited:
At one time a similar graph could be made about low fat diets.https://academic.oup.com/jhmas/article/63/2/139/772615 I think that it is short sighted to use a graph of pubic opinion as a rebuttal to the video particularly in this day and age of unreliable media. Look at media representation on SRKW and the effects that has had on public opinion and the potential devastating consequences that may have on costal communities that rely on Sport fishing.
Anyways, its no surprise nothing in the video was addressed as a response.

Admin has asked me not to go down that rabbit hole in debating if climate change is real or not. So you asked what I thought of the video and I said it was nonsense and I also showed that 80% of Canadians agree with me.

Last edited:
People like you will never get it GLG,, never.. No one argues the fricken climate changes that's what it does, always has always will. It the cause and effect and eventual outcome most sane people question. A poll like that is set up to perpetuate a desired look and outcome. That's why they changed the name of it from global warming to climate change not enough people were drinking the soup, they had to change the name of it.

Now thats it from me too, I've been told the same thing from the Admin.

I guess I'm just old school with the term. Is this better.... Climate Change it's the last two letters of IPCC you know that UN thingy. It's real, it's caused by us and it's bad. The good news is there is still time for us to do something about it. It won't be easy but we need to roll up our sleeves and get to work.

Well you and I are never going to agree on this issue and I'm tired and at times embarrassed for brining this site down with our rants at each other. In the future I'm going to do my best to ignore these types of posts and just focus on the boating and fishing items. This is a great site lots of great guy's on here lots of knowledge when we stick to the proper topics.

Best of luck GLG.

GLG, with all your internet wisdom of man caused climate change and rising co2 levels how is it possible that the rain pH now has risen to an average ph of 6 or better? Have you ever personally researched water chemistry or the effects of such on ecology? Do you research this stuff yourself or just come up with and promote whatever opinions that are publically popular and continuously solicited to all of us. Are you able to think outside the "popular" box???

GLG, with all your internet wisdom of man caused climate change and rising co2 levels how is it possible that the rain pH now has risen to an average ph of 6 or better? Have you ever personally researched water chemistry or the effects of such on ecology? Do you research this stuff yourself or just come up with and promote whatever opinions that are publically popular and continuously solicited to all of us. Are you able to think outside the "popular" box???
I need more data to test your theroy. So far this is all you have given me.
index.php

I tried to help you a couple of years ago and you came down on me like a ton a bricks. Perhaps you don't remember when you were looking for long term data from a river and I found one near Port Alberni. We have also conversed on the reasons why pH can change in watershed. Seems to me that we disagreed on the root cause so at this point I'm not inclined to interact with you. Your stance on basic science of climate change would indicate that perhaps that is the correct road forward.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/climate-change-psychology-1.4920872

The psychology of climate change: Why people deny the evidence
Despite evidence illustrating the planet is warming at a rate not ever seen in its history, there are still people who deny that it's occurring or that it's a result of humans pumping too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere.
  • COP 24, or the 24th Conference of the Parties to the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate.

Their goal: to find ways to reduce carbon emissions in order to combat the effects of climate change.

Last week, the United States released its National Climate Assessment, which was largely buried in the news as a result of its release over the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday. Its conclusions were in line with those of the UN and other climate organizations: global climate is changing, and "the global warming of the past 50 years is primarily due to human activities, predominantly the burning of fossil fuels."

That same day, U.S. President Donald Trump said he doesn't believe the report.

On Thursday, the UN World Meteorological Organization said global temperatures are headed for a rise of 3 to 5 C this century, far above the target of 1.5 to 2 C.

The message seems to be clear: Earth's climate is rapidly changing as a result of human activity. So how is it that some people are still reluctant to acknowledge it?
  • hot-summer-in-japan.jpg
    Temperatures soared to 40 C in the Tokyo metropolitan area in July as a heat wave swept throughout Japan, according to the Meteorological Agency. (Shizuo Kambayashi/Associated Press)

According to some psychologists, there are a number of reasons, including the prevalence of deceptive or erroneous information about the topic.

"But you're also getting a lot of misinformation, what we call agnotology — misleading information and false information — from vested interests," said Michael Ranney, professor of education at the University of California, Berkeley's Department of Psychology. "And the internet, for decades, has been offering information that is misleading."

And some recent studies suggest that false news spreads faster than true or objective news.

One of the reasons people might be sharing that information — which they may not recognize as false — is that it represents their worldview — a phenomenon called confirmation bias.

'Information deficit'
    Another important thing to consider, Ranney says, is decreasing "information deficit," or lack of knowledge. To this end, he created the website How Global Warming Works, which provides short videos explaining the mechanisms of global warming. And that, he believes, makes a difference with some people.

"Even in places like Berkeley, we almost tripled their understanding of the mechanisms of global warming, and that increased their acceptance of global warming," Ranney says of one study conducted at his university.

"One high school, the students knew so little about global warming, we increased their knowledge 17 times … and they also increased their acceptance."
    But Canadian Matto Mildenberger, an assistant professor of political science at the University of California, Santa Barbara, doesn't place that much faith in the "information deficit" theory.

"Information deficit may matter at the margins," says Mildenberger, who also who contributes to Yale University's Program on Climate Change Communication.

"It's not that information doesn't matter, but it strikes me that the way in which we need to solve the problem of climate communication is primarily by having trusted individuals — and by that, I don't mean scientists. I mean people in local communities — be climate advocates and climate messengers to their communities."

What motivates denial?
    There's something else that may be at play at the subconscious level that allows us to disregard the evidence that's in front of us.

"A big part isn't the experience; it's the motivation," said Paul Thagard, professor emeritus at the University of Waterloo's Department of Philosophy, who specializes in cognitive science.

"Psychologists talk a lot about 'motivated inference' … when people have strong motivations, they're very selective in the sort of evidence they look for."

Even though there is consensus that climate change is occurring and that humans are exacerbating it, there are still people — including politicians — who refuse to acknowledge the evidence.

climatechange-accord-demonstration.jpg
    Protesters demonstrate ahead of the start of last year's COP 23 UN climate change conference, held in Bonn, Germany. COP 24 begins Sunday in Katowice, Poland. (Wolfgang Rattay/Reuters)

"The motivations vary depending on who you are," says Thagard. "If you're a conservative politician, you just don't want to believe [in climate change], because if there really is climate change caused by human activity, then there has to be government actions to stop the disastrous results that are probably going to come down the line in 20 or 30 years."

There are other fears: people whose livelihood is dependent on, say, the oil industry, might fear acknowledging climate change will threaten their jobs. Others might resent government taking money out of their pockets in the form of public spending on carbon mitigation efforts.
"But that gets in the way of appreciating the overwhelming scientific evidence that really bad times are coming," Thagard said.

Changing communication
Mildenberger say that, while there is a lot of climate change information out there, communicating it in an effective way is key.

And it's not about painting a doom-and-gloom scenario.
The faces of climate change: How a rapidly warming Arctic is destroying a way of life

"If you overwhelm people, there's some evidence that they can end up in some fatalistic mindset and feel unempowered," Mildenberger said.

"The trick is to communicate the seriousness of the climate threat … with a sense of empowering people to take action."

A sense of empowerment is something that Ranney cites as well when it comes to acceptance of climate change.

"It's going to become more and more obvious to everyone that global warming is occurring and that it's scary and yet something that we can fix, and should," he said.

"This is not a time to be passive and allow this calamity to happen to us. We can fix this, and we can fix this now."

Reactions: GLG
This and the article above can shed some light on why a minority of folks cannot accept human caused global climate change - it doesn't fit very well into either their bank accounts or their political beliefs.

https://www.timescolonist.com/opini...ange-is-too-important-for-politics-1.23523866

Lawrie McFarlane: Climate change is too important for politics
Lawrie McFarlane / Times Colonist
December 9, 2018 06:00 AM

When you turn to Liberal and NDP voters, however, the numbers reverse. Among Liberals, 81 per cent believe climate change is real and human-caused. Among New Democrats, 85 per cent agree with that view, and almost no one in either group thinks climate change is an unproven theory.

I call this puzzling because we’re talking about a matter that lies in the realm of science, not politics. Admittedly, this is not the first time controversy has swirled around a scientific thesis.

In the 1600s, the Italian astronomer Galileo was forced by the Catholic church to abandon his claim that the Earth orbits the sun. He was even placed under house arrest. It is said some cardinals refused to look through his telescope, for fear he might be right (though this could be as much legend as fact).

And during the modern era, the theory of evolution has been rejected in certain quarters.

Yet those are both instances where the opposition was based on largely religious grounds. Setting them aside, I can’t think of another scientific claim provoking such marked disagreement along strictly political lines.

It’s no secret that political preferences determine how voters approach various matters of public policy.

Climate change is not, however, any sort of policy. It’s a scientific theory based on meteorological observation and temperature measurements. So why the breakdown along political lines?

The answer I think is that to date, scientific advances have generally created benefits that outweighed their costs. I’m thinking in particular of medical discoveries, such as antibiotics and MRI machines, but numerous other fields of research can make this claim.

However, acceptance of climate change entails policy prescriptions that are at once broad and intrusive. Their benefits are uncertain and lie well in the future, while their costs are immediate and far-reaching.

It’s natural that voters who are comfortable with more government regulation, higher public spending and appeals to supra-national co-ordination can buy into these prospects. They tend to support such policies in any case.

Likewise, it’s understandable that individuals who dislike this prospect are suspicious of the science that gave rise to it. They fear the economic consequences that come with it.

Nevertheless, there is a warning here for both sides. While the majority of voters might accept global warming as a reality, there are limits to how far and how fast governments can go. French President Emmanuel Macron discovered that last week, when he had to suspend a new carbon tax on gasoline after violent protests in Paris turned into nationwide uproar.

Equally, denying that the theory lacks a factual basis invites derision, even if more catastrophic prognostications come up short. For though smaller-than-forecast temperature increases might force some backtracking, they will still be taken as proof that outright deniers are wrong.

In short, this is too important an issue for hyping — in either direction.

Back in 1964, a candidate for the U.S. presidency, Barry Goldwater, said that “moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.” In the midst of the Cold War, some believe his rejection of moderation cost him the election.

The conflict over climate change is being fought on a different battlefield, but the message remains the same. In a matter with existential implications, moderation is essential on both sides of the issue.

Reactions: GLG
I need more data to test your theroy. So far this is all you have given me.
index.php

I tried to help you a couple of years ago and you came down on me like a ton a bricks. Perhaps you don't remember when you were looking for long term data from a river and I found one near Port Alberni. We have also conversed on the reasons why pH can change in watershed. Seems to me that we disagreed on the root cause so at this point I'm not inclined to interact with you. Your stance on basic science of climate change would indicate that perhaps that is the correct road forward.

If I came down on you like a ton of bricks in the past it was from being shrugged off when I tried to acknowledge everyone of the die off in stream invertebrates. You did not try to help me you posted everything you could find to dismiss my findings.
I am not looking for you to test my theories right now but see what you can find on the net to explain present day pH results. If man mad pollutants are causing all this climate change by increasing pollutants like co2, sulfur and nitrogen oxide would the rain ph not be dropping from all the acidic compounds? how could it be possible for the rain pH to be rising to now present day pH6?

Arctic Report Card: Update for 2018 - Tracking recent environmental changes, with 14 essays prepared by an international team of 81 scientists from 12 different countries and an independent peer-review organized by the Arctic Monitoring and Assessment Programme of the Arctic Council. See https://www.arctic.noaa.gov/Report-Card

Back