STA-BIL FUEL STABILIZER IS STILL GOOD TO USE?

Sotally Tober

Just discovered this as I was about to use some Sta Bil from an open bottle in my garage.
I was going to add some into the fresh can of gas for the lawn mower and pressure washer for this season.

A bottle of Sta Bil is good for 2 years, my opened bottle is older than that.
Copied this from their website:

——————————————————————————

An unopened bottle of STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer will remain viable on the shelf for approximately two years because its exposure to oxygen has been limited in a factory sealed container when it is kept in a cool, dry place. Although oxygen can still permeate the bottle, it does so at a much slower rate than if the bottle were opened. However, please note that excessive heat can speed up the oxidation process.

Extended storage of unopened STA-BIL® bottles is not recommended. Make sure you purchase bottle sizes that can be used within two (2) years of purchase.

If you are still unsure of the date of expiration for a bottle of STA-BIL® Fuel Stabilizer, the stamped production code on the bottle can tell you when the bottle was produced. The first five digits of the number indicate YYDDD, with YY indicating the last two digits of the year of production and DDD representing the number of the day of that year of production. For example, a production code of 12272-73995-10:30 indicates the bottle was produced on September 28, 2012. September 28th was the 272nd day in the year 2012. (Julian Day calendar)

Older Bottles made in early 2011 and before used a different coding system where the first letter represented month alphanumerically, the following two digits represented the day of the month and the fourth number represented the year. Months were in order of A= January, B=February, C=March, etc. So, C169 meant March 16, 2009. C is March, 16 is the day in March and 9 is the year, in this case 2009.

STABIL-Shelf-Life"
Old Date Code Method
STABIL-Shelf-Life-Code
New Date Code Method

Back