SRKW - New Research Findings on Prey Availability

According to the Raincoast Conservation Foundation, recreational fishers are routinely violating the 400-metre protection buffers around Southern Resident killer whales. The Foundation is now calling for a complete end to recreational salmon fishing in southern B.C. Joining us again on The Blue Fish Radio Show is Chris Bos, Coordinator of a south Vancouver Island Chinook salmon hatchery, President of the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition, and Director with the Public Fishery Alliance. Join Chris and I as we discuss the need for science-based precautionary conservation measures in the fight to save these whales and BC’s billion-dollar marine recreational fishery.

Dr. Andrew Trikes from the University of British Columbia and his research team at the Marine Mammal Research Unit just published their findings on Chinook salmon abundance specific to the foraging habits of both southern and northern resident Killer whales. The research results, published in the Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, have caused people to re-think what may be causing southern residents to experience pour nutrition. Dr. Trites is our guest once again on The Blue Fish Radio Show, and we talk about the research and what other factors may be impacting southern resident Killer whales.

I saw this posted from Raincoast, but I didn't really see a direct quote that says shut down recreational fishery. Does anyone have a link where Misty McDuffee and Jeffrey Young said that publically?

All I saw was a statement that should be more enforcement by DFO.

Anyone have direct link where that was said?

This is all I found:

B.C. whale-watching operators and recreational fishers are “routinely violating” legally established buffer zones between their vessels and endangered southern resident killer whales, according to five environmental groups.

On Thursday, Oct. 7, the group, which includes the David Suzuki Foundation and WWF-Canada, called on the federal government to increase enforcement, prosecutions and penalties to deter any further violations that would threaten the remaining 73 endangered whales

Wow what a joke. Now we have switched our position to all salmon.

If you look closely look at last two lines. You see how all these things are linked to that. It's a very clever strategy If you can prove these threats exist then when the pipeline proposals go through the board has to look at them.

This isn't about fish or whales it is stop Alberta's resources from getting exported from a pipeline. It practically screams this. I posted some links below previous articles related to pipelines.

1635262973280.png

Last edited:
Interesting they are more actively attacking whale watching, a group they were previously allied with. I’m guessing the whale watchers are having a WTF moment. Lol. Shows how quick they use naive groups then turn on them.

Interesting they are more actively attacking whale watching, a group they were previously allied with. I’m guessing the whale watchers are having a WTF moment. Lol. Shows how quick they use naive groups then turn on them.

Welcome Sport Fishers, whale watchers, and all the rest, to the boundless limits of the "precautionary principle".

Welcome Sport Fishers, whale watchers, and all the rest, to the boundless limits of the "precautionary principle".
Lol, Yeah, if you do nothing, you do nothing wrong, the Mantra of the ENGO! Oh and send us money so we can create jobs for ourselves, that do nothing on your behalf, but keep us off the street. Lol

OMG Z - you nailed it...this is their business model, and it works rather well for them. Liked the bumper sticker post, best yet.

Filed in 2011 on behalf of the current leader of Raincoast to the National Energy Board who also sat as chair for the Gulf Island Alliance https://www.gulfislandsalliance.ca/ .

This is a public document filed for the Gulf alliance alliance, and is just to give some background nothing more. Not offering an opinion only to share.

These direct requests to NEB are specific and in the area of the pender island no go zone, and other gulf island areas. Specifically to limit tanker and freighter movement via energy projects.

QUOTE:

The Current spill response capacity is also insufficient. In addition to the limitations identified by the Auditor General,
a working group of the Pacific States – British Columbia Oil Spill Task Force (the U.S./Canadian Transboundary Spill
Planning and Response Project Stakeholder Workgroup) made over 130 recommendations earlier this year to
government and industry stakeholders on both sides of the border to improve current oil spill planning and response
capabilities.7 The final report found that are ill prepared to respond to oil spills in the region that are possible,
especially in light of the increase in large oil tankers transiting the waters of Burrard Inlet, Georgia Strait, Strait of
Juan de Fuca and Haro Strait.8

Finally, the cumulative impacts of increased tanker traffic increase risks to threatened and endangered wildlife, and
sensitive ecosystems. These risks are not just from spill threats and impacts. In the case of resident killer whales,
this extends to impacts from increased physical and acoustic disturbance associated with increased shipping.
Under
Canada’s endangered species legislation, additional approvals by the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans may be
necessary before any increases in tanker activity could occur. Increased tanker activity could impact southern
resident killer whale critical habitat, the subject of a protection order9 under the Species at Risk Act.10 The Act
envisions that where a protection order exists, any activity that could affect the protected species’ habitat must first
secure the approval of the Minister of Fisheries and Oceans.

Last edited:
You know the saying, SV - keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer? Gotta keep an eye on this bunch - all of those ENGOs in the Marine caucus, actually.

Back