Squamish DFO Office Scheduled to Close in March 31, 2019!

These officers cover a huge area. Not only the Squamish River but they go to Pemberton to do the Birkenhead and Lillooet rivers and out as far as Darcy to cover Anderson Lake and Gates Creek. Definitely need an office in this area.

Sorry can't support this from you Ukee, but do you agree we need offices opened in other areas as well. Harper closed a bunch of offices. Now Trudeau is following his lead!

That’s exactly my point, if you look beyond your backyard you’re talking about a tiny piece of the Region (BC and Yukon). There are vast areas in the Interior, the North and the Yukon that are orders of magnitude larger, have significantly more fisheries values and no coverage within a day or more from the closest office and we’re talking about an area within a couple of hours of multiple other offices plus a ton of “eyes and ears” from the public to report to ORR or direct to the office.

For comparison sake, there isn’t a single DFO habitat staff located anywhere between Kamloops and Whitehorse. So the bulk of the Fraser and the entire Skeena and Nass systems are multiple days away from the folks who do environmental regulation, monitoring and enforcement. Sorry, in the context of Regional coverage and priorities, a Squamish office isn’t even a minor blip on the radar.

Cheers!

Ukee

That’s exactly my point, if you look beyond your backyard you’re talking about a tiny piece of the Region (BC and Yukon). There are vast areas in the Interior, the North and the Yukon that are orders of magnitude larger, have significantly more fisheries values and no coverage within a day or more from the closest office and we’re talking about an area within a couple of hours of multiple other offices plus a ton of “eyes and ears” from the public to report to ORR or direct to the office.

For comparison sake, there isn’t a single DFO habitat staff located anywhere between Kamloops and Whitehorse. So the bulk of the Fraser and the entire Skeena and Nass systems are multiple days away from the folks who do environmental regulation, monitoring and enforcement. Sorry, in the context of Regional coverage and priorities, a Squamish office isn’t even a minor blip on the radar.

Cheers!

Ukee
Definitely we need to hold our government accountable on that. I don't know if there's being one charge under the Fisheries Act in BC for Year's. It's being open season on fish habitat

History has shown once an office is gone its never replaced or moved. Pure fantasy expecting that they will put the resources to use anywhere else.

Um, that's not real...according to publicly available BC court documents DFO was successful at recommending numerous charges that blatantly contravene the Fisheries Act. The best part is that all fishing sectors have been included.

I think he's referring to habitat and development and industrial industries dumping waste ect , Or construction sites building over streams ect.. Last i head there's only one guy left in DFO in BC that does it and he's in prince george. Kinda impossible to actually get to the sites to review that your suppose to be approving, Herd it's just a rubber stamp of YES now. Pathetic

I know of a few cases tho where developers are suing DFO for taking to long to review their development proposals or denying them. Thanks to Harper changing the previous laws

We are grasping at straws boy

Habitat prosecution suck! How do you think they will be in the Sea to Sky Corridor when the office closes?

We are grasping at straws boy

Habitat prosecution suck! How do you think they will be in the Sea to Sky Corridor when the office closes?

Given all the Fishery Officer and Habitat staff located in the Lower Mainland - infinitely faster than 90% of B.C. and all of the Yukon!

Cheers!

Ukee

Back