Springs in Departure bay Nanaimo?

C

cod commander

HAs anyone hear of the spring coming in close again this year? I was walking on the departure bay beach today and saw schools of herring, think the springs would still be hangin around?

I saw the action down there today as well.You can bet there where springs in the bay at sometime today??

I saw the action down there today as well.You can bet there where springs in the bay at sometime today??

Oh really? thats good news. Do u think they will be coming closer to shore enough so i can cast into them? I saw the seals chasing around some fish there today.

Oh really? thats good news. Do u think they will be coming closer to shore enough so i can cast into them? I saw the seals chasing around some fish there today.

Herring spawn close to shore, so yes I quess so??.I saw the school over on the newcastle side not far from the channel marker.It might be a bit difficult from departure bay beach.A couple of years ago there was a 32lber???caught right in front of the boat that will be the newest artifical reef.About a 100 m east of the ferry terminal.Fishing from shore in that area is a problem as it is a fuel dock.

Herring spawn close to shore, so yes I quess so??.I saw the school over on the newcastle side not far from the channel marker.It might be a bit difficult from departure bay beach.A couple of years ago there was a 32lber???caught right in front of the boat that will be the newest artifical reef.About a 100 m east of the ferry terminal.Fishing from shore in that area is a problem as it is a fuel dock.

oh ya i guess they dont come in there. What about the other side by the hatchery?

oh ya i guess they dont come in there. What about the other side by the hatchery?

From 2000 - 2003 I lived right on the beach of departure bay and know a few fish have been caught right at the drop off in front of the tanks beside the ferry terminal. 2 years ago a 33lbs was caught. I caught and released a 16 lbs ling cod in that same spot. The springs follow the bait into the bay on the high tide but not like years ago.
Another good spot it right along the shore of New Castle Island inside the bay, have caught a few fish there never trolling always jigging. In Feb through April there use to be a guy who would wade out in chest waiters and cast at last light and quite often caught one
right along the drop off straight out from Kin Hut. He told me the tide had to be just right for this to work otherwise he couldn,t get out far enough.

Edited by - MyEscape on 03/02/2004 07:35:39

From 2000 - 2003 I lived right on the beach of departure bay and know a few fish have been caught right at the drop off in front of the tanks beside the ferry terminal. 2 years ago a 33lbs was caught. I caught and released a 16 lbs ling cod in that same spot. The springs follow the bait into the bay on the high tide but not like years ago.
Another good spot it right along the shore of New Castle Island inside the bay, have caught a few fish there never trolling always jigging. In Feb through April there use to be a guy who would wade out in chest waiters and cast at last light and quite often caught one
right along the drop off straight out from Kin Hut. He told me the tide had to be just right for this to work otherwise he couldn,t get out far enough.

Edited by - MyEscape on 03/02/2004 07:35:39

Cool i might try there, so is that round wear that little bay o new castle byside the tanks.

Cool i might try there, so is that round wear that little bay o new castle byside the tanks.

As you come around the corner from brecin boat launch look for the drop off just in front of the fuel dock and follow the drop off towards the ferry terminal that same drop off follows the inside of new casle island another place winters are picked up.

As you come around the corner from brecin boat launch look for the drop off just in front of the fuel dock and follow the drop off towards the ferry terminal that same drop off follows the inside of new casle island another place winters are picked up.

Yup i know where your talking about, i've caught some fish there

Yup i know where your talking about, i've caught some fish there

Back