spot prawn deep fry batters?

islander55

hey im just wondering if anyone knows any good spot prawn batters?, i tryed out a pre mix for beer batter, but it was really rich as in tasted like beer, i absolutely love the batter that most chinese food places use , i think its a tempura batter but i could be wrong , much help needed thank you

Pretty much any packaged Tempura batter works well they key is to use very cold water (I've even added ice cubes at times) and to stir the mix very very little once you add it to the water most people want to get all the lumps out that's a mistake.

catch em, peel em, and eat em, no batter necessary

if you insist on cooking them then this is the best method
bring salted water (sea water if possible) to a rolling boil
pour boiling water over prawns in another bowl and let sit 4-5 mins MAX
serve with freshly made garlic butter and lots of napkins.

Last edited by a moderator:
catch em, peel em, and eat em, no batter necessary

if you insist on cooking them then this is the best method
bring salted water (sea water if possible) to a rolling boil
pour boiling water over prawns in another bowl and let sit 4-5 mins MAX
serve with freshly made garlic butter and lots of napkins.

Haha ya I know how to cook prawns :p I just bought a nice deep fryer and I love deep fried prawns

Pretty much any packaged Tempura batter works well they key is to use very cold water (I've even added ice cubes at times) and to stir the mix very very little once you add it to the water most people want to get all the lumps out that's a mistake.

Ok thank you for the advice, sorry but you do want the lumps or you don't want he lumps?

I haveTried many and there has not been one that can beet "Fish Crisp Beer Batter"

Get it at Canadian Tire either in the bbq section or where they have the wood chips for smokers. Make sure you grab the "Beer Batter " as there are other kinds by "Fish Crisp"We have played with it a bit and found the best reviews com from using "Fish Crisp Beer Batter"

Easy to use just add 1 cold beer minus 1 swallow to mix. Make sure prawns are dry. pat them with paper towel and air dry a bit. Give them a LIGHT toss in flower then dip in batter and stick em in the deep fryer. Temp is key. keep fryer at 180c or 350ish. wen they float and look golden brown they are done.

Only batter I use for fish and chips now. We love it.

Cheers: Ray

Ray fish crisp is just a basic corn flour batter. Very simple to make. Ad a pinch of corn starch to make it even crisper. Well more then a pinch.... 25%

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray fish crisp is just a basic corn flour batter. Very simple to make. Ad a pinch of corn starch to make it even crisper. Well more then a pinch.... 25%

Could be so but I tried others and the flavor on fish crisp is the best IMHO .and the lightness of it as well.

Have you tried making your own using corn flour? Batter is really easy to make just find what you like about certain batters and incorporate them into yours. If you like light fluffy use baking soda or club soda. If you want thin use more beer or club soda. I like lemon pepper and paprika seasoning in mine.

For prawns and white fish I use the same thing... Brodies Self Rising Cake Flour. Add cold beer until it is just thick enough to coat your finger. You don't want it too thick. Let the excess batter run off. As with fish, drying the meat before dipping makes it stick.

This is the easiest, most reliable batter I have found.

Tips

Try these links Matt,

Many good recipes and techniques posted here for spot prawns:

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...ot-Prawn-Recipes&highlight=spot+prawn+recipes

And one of the best batter recipes I've had to date is by forum member Wolf, link here:

http://www.bluewolfcharters.com/deep_fry_batter.htm

or his other awesome recipes:

http://www.bluewolfcharters.com/seafood_recipes.htm

*Roy, it took a minute or two to find your recipe link on the website as its hidden in the 'about us' section. A recipe tab similar to the 'home' or 'contact' tabs at the top would be great. Cheers!

have to admit Roy's is my go to for any bottom fish if deep frying,
also great on zuchinni's

in stead of cooking some prawns up tonight i did a good sized batch of lingcod with wolfs reciepe. gotta say its the best batter ive probs ever had. also made some home made fries , cooked this meal for my parents heres some pictures: matts pictures 002.jpgmatts pictures 006.jpgmatts pictures 021.jpgmatts pictures 022.jpg

Thanks for the kind kudos that recipe I invented about 20 years ago and Its the only one I ever use, glad you guys are enjoying it.....After seeing that I think im going to take some halibut out now i want deep fry for dinner!!!!
keep it up Wolf

Deep frying is great for many types of fish and is also good for the gulf prawns or those crappy shrimp imported from Asia BUT batter frying spot prawns?!!! That's sacrilegious! Spot prawns are best peeled with a little garlic butter (like lobster).

Thanks for the kind kudos that recipe I invented about 20 years ago and Its the only one I ever use, glad you guys are enjoying it.....After seeing that I think im going to take some halibut out now i want deep fry for dinner!!!!
keep it up Wolf

hey roy your batter is also really good with spot prawns, i made some again tonight

YES it also good for SALMON if you have never had it TRY it you will be very surprised how good it is,
And yes had it halibut last night as well LOL

Back