Sportfishing BC Episode

J

jdeb

Hello

There was an episode on Sportfishing BC with Mark Pendlington that was about using Exude Mister Twisters with jigs fishing for Coho in the river. I think the episode was shot in Terrace but I'm not sure. In all of Marks shows he explains and shows the tackle and lure be used. I missed that part of that episode. I would like to know the size and weight of the jig they were using and also the size of the Mister Twisters they were using. It looked like where they were fishing it was a wide river with a fairly good water flow to it. That is the type of river conditions I fish and I would like to try that technique. I would appreciate if you could possibly help me with this. Even if you could tell me when that show might be rebroadcast I can tape it.

Thanks in Advance

John

I think I remember seeing it a few times.

They were 1/2ounce jigs with "good" hooks, not the cheap Canadian tire ones. The Mr. Twisters they mentioned come without scent too, or different brands but a similar idea.

Remember that the exude products count as bait because of their scent added. (If i'm wrong correct me guys). So be sure of which ones you have at river areas where there is a bait ban.

I tried the technique on a Van Isle river last fall, here's the results; may you learn from my mistakes.

- I tried 1oz jigs, 4-6ft quickish run, casting at about 45degrees downstream ... snagged the bottom immediately and repeatedly.

- When it was working, I just about got beat up by guys who accused me of trying to "snag" fish ... knowledge is king they say, but the dumb guy can be king for a while if he is huge; I can't run that fast in my waders so I'll just fish like the massives ... I mean the masses.

I plan to try it again but this year I'll look for moderately fast pools with gravel bottoms.

Anybody else have positive or negative feedback on the technique?

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Edited by - Alexievich on 03/25/2004 21:13:41

I think I remember seeing it a few times.

They were 1/2ounce jigs with "good" hooks, not the cheap Canadian tire ones. The Mr. Twisters they mentioned come without scent too, or different brands but a similar idea.

Remember that the exude products count as bait because of their scent added. (If i'm wrong correct me guys). So be sure of which ones you have at river areas where there is a bait ban.

I tried the technique on a Van Isle river last fall, here's the results; may you learn from my mistakes.

- I tried 1oz jigs, 4-6ft quickish run, casting at about 45degrees downstream ... snagged the bottom immediately and repeatedly.

- When it was working, I just about got beat up by guys who accused me of trying to "snag" fish ... knowledge is king they say, but the dumb guy can be king for a while if he is huge; I can't run that fast in my waders so I'll just fish like the massives ... I mean the masses.

I plan to try it again but this year I'll look for moderately fast pools with gravel bottoms.

Anybody else have positive or negative feedback on the technique?

Cheers,
Alex

... "high water" is when you can fish from your car.

Edited by - Alexievich on 03/25/2004 21:13:41

My uncle had a guided trip with David Murphy on the stamp last year for cohos. When the fishing got slow, they were pitching blue/white marabou 1/8 oz jigs with no scent under floats.

My uncle had a guided trip with David Murphy on the stamp last year for cohos. When the fishing got slow, they were pitching blue/white marabou 1/8 oz jigs with no scent under floats.

I remember that episode and thought to myself? geez you would have thought more people use that presentation.I use that presentation all the time as i use it here in Manitoba for walleye,pike,Lake trout Rainbows etc.You can buy the mr twister double tails or single different lengths.I use single tails and tip it with a dead minnow,the key is to go light or you will snag allot all i usually use is a 1/4 ounce jig with a single mr twister tail.But get your self a quality jig,not sure in B.C. how easy it is to find them? here in Manitoba they are everywhere due to the fact that its one of the # 1 presentations for Walleye.NM Former Vancouver Islander now a Manitoban. http://www.xtremesportfishing.com Northern Manitoba's only outdoor message board.

I remember that episode and thought to myself? geez you would have thought more people use that presentation.I use that presentation all the time as i use it here in Manitoba for walleye,pike,Lake trout Rainbows etc.You can buy the mr twister double tails or single different lengths.I use single tails and tip it with a dead minnow,the key is to go light or you will snag allot all i usually use is a 1/4 ounce jig with a single mr twister tail.But get your self a quality jig,not sure in B.C. how easy it is to find them? here in Manitoba they are everywhere due to the fact that its one of the # 1 presentations for Walleye.NM Former Vancouver Islander now a Manitoban. http://www.xtremesportfishing.com Northern Manitoba's only outdoor message board.

Fishing for Coho sloooow on the Stamp?? Sit back, have a beer and wait for the next wave to come through the shallows. Wait for the ripples and send your 8 foot leader's through, wamoo another chromer!!

Fishing for Coho sloooow on the Stamp?? Sit back, have a beer and wait for the next wave to come through the shallows. Wait for the ripples and send your 8 foot leader's through, wamoo another chromer!!

Actually, the jigs under a float work well in most rivers for both Coho and Steelhead.

Been using them for years on lots of different rivers on the Island, plus the North Coast and QCI.

Color and size are all that you need to change to suit conditions.

Try 'em for Steelies - deadly in low water for summers.

Unless, of course, you still need to use bait....

Gooey.

Actually, the jigs under a float work well in most rivers for both Coho and Steelhead.

Been using them for years on lots of different rivers on the Island, plus the North Coast and QCI.

Color and size are all that you need to change to suit conditions.

Try 'em for Steelies - deadly in low water for summers.

Unless, of course, you still need to use bait....

Gooey.

We used them on the Cowichan with my native buddies. Fishing for salmon in the river is a food fishery so I have no problem using the jerk tecnique. We were fishing in the tidal area in the indian reserve. We had the native fishery officers check us out everytime, it looks like your snagging. But it's wierd that you seem to hook them in the mouth everytime? Some idiots get real pissed of when they don't understand how your catching fish and they are not. I seem to meet alot of aggressive freshwater fishermen these days.

Back