Sport Fishing Advisory Board Meeting!!!! BE THERE

fish stalker

SFAB Meeting March 21st Wednesday Four Point Sheraton Hotel (behind Costco in Langford) 7pm

All public welcome!!

If you care about fishing now or in the future show up and show your support!!

Please tell your friends who may have not heard about the meeting as well. Power in numbers!

I could not see a notice for this in the 'Meetings' section.

Last edited by a moderator:
Suggest all SFBC forum members wear a name tag with their forum handle on their chest for recognition.

I'll be the guy with the beard :D

Well I'll be the younger guy with the beard ;):D

Quite the meeting. I don't think sport fishermen were open to wiring with DFO to reduce numbers.

Wow what a turn out. I didnt see any notices but I was told there was mention of it in a TC article or two. I posted up on a few forums and used vic and criagslist just incase to try and get numbers up. I am new to saltwater fishing but born and raised in Vic and plan on spending quite a few more years here. I am trying to educate myself on the issues that rec fishers are facing and hopefully help be apart of the solution. Not just a bump on the log. Here some of my thoughts.

I have always have mixed feelings about media and what and how it portrays a situation. This is no different, esp with the clips I have seen tonight from chek. CTV was the news crew who was there and wish they had stuck around to get some educated points that were brought up after they left. They have a tendency to twist things and leave out important and relevant numbers and facts.

Just a thought id like to know about is the latest clip that aired and hearing what was said tonight I would like to know what measures fn is taking? There impact on that particular Fraser run is 35% while rec is 11 and they make us seem like the bad guy.

Im not sure why they didnt asnwer but I would have also liked to hear the answer from dfo on the testing methods of ISA/ISAV and IF they are working on new methods of testing.

I also feel reassured that my original thought on SFAB was correct. That there hand was forced on the halibut issue and they had to pick the lesser of two evils in the choice rec allocation.

I would also like to read some of the information dfo says they have done studies on. Like saying there are pristine rivers in the interior that have dwindling stocks, what river is this? Bits of propaganda for media use. Name the river.

Someone can explain this better then me but one thing that came up was why and how dfo is making these qeusstamtions on how things will turn out this year and putting in place restrictions. Since they 'have no data' they are using numbers from 2006 and scaling them up. Which is crazy because there is so many variables there is no way that can be accurate. And there lack of data seems to be a copout bs excuse for there disorganization.

Mabey someone can explain the motions that were put forward and if, what and how they will have a impact of decisions being made.

Wow what a turn out. I didnt see any notices but I was told there was mention of it in a TC article or two. I posted up on a few forums and used vic and criagslist just incase to try and get numbers up. I am new to saltwater fishing but born and raised in Vic and plan on spending quite a few more years here. I am trying to educate myself on the issues that rec fishers are facing and hopefully help be apart of the solution. Not just a bump on the log. Here some of my thoughts.

I have always have mixed feelings about media and what and how it portrays a situation. This is no different, esp with the clips I have seen tonight from chek. CTV was the news crew who was there and wish they had stuck around to get some educated points that were brought up after they left. They have a tendency to twist things and leave out important and relevant numbers and facts.

Just a thought id like to know about is the latest clip that aired and hearing what was said tonight I would like to know what measures fn is taking? There impact on that particular Fraser run is 35% while rec is 11 and they make us seem like the bad guy.

Im not sure why they didnt asnwer but I would have also liked to hear the answer from dfo on the testing methods of ISA/ISAV and IF they are working on new methods of testing.

I also feel reassured that my original thought on SFAB was correct. That there hand was forced on the halibut issue and they had to pick the lesser of two evils in the choice rec allocation.

I would also like to read some of the information dfo says they have done studies on. Like saying there are pristine rivers in the interior that have dwindling stocks, what river is this? Bits of propaganda for media use. Name the river.

Someone can explain this better then me but one thing that came up was why and how dfo is making these qeusstamtions on how things will turn out this year and putting in place restrictions. Since they 'have no data' they are using numbers from 2006 and scaling them up. Which is crazy because there is so many variables there is no way that can be accurate. And there lack of data seems to be a copout bs excuse for there disorganization.

Mabey someone can explain the motions that were put forward and if, what and how they will have a impact of decisions being made.

Thank you fish stalker big time for sharing your experience of the meeting and the information.

I hope other's post up there opinion of the meeting and any other information to share.

When they mention pristine rivers, I think they mean the Stein River, but that's the only one I can think of.

The meeting could be summed up as following:

DFO Does not know if the smolts survive the run out of the Fraser, they have no data.

DFO Does not have data on ocean survival. Since they don't know if the smolts come out of the Fraser or not, they say ocean survival is Poor.

DFO is basing numbers on data from 2006. Since that was only 6 years ago, that data they feel is fine.

So DFO said in a round about way that they don't know a f*cking thing, and the only tool in the box is to cut a fishery that has an %11 impact in half..

The first motion that was put forward and carried unanimously was like this: The SFAB rejects any further restrictions to the sportfishing sector in Area 18, 19, 20 until such time as DFO has addressed factors such as salmon habitat, salmon enhancement ...

There was a second motion unanimously carried - I can't think of it right now.

And then profisher put forward another motion that may have passed too: The SFAB demands that all upper management of DFO is fired and replaced by third party controlled committees made out of scientists and representatives of all 3 user groups.

I think the message was clear. Can someone fill in the second motion please? I think it was by Tom Davis demanding a review of DFO management practices on the threatened chinook stocks and more research on the specific impacts on them???

The meeting could be summed up as following:

DFO Does not know if the smolts survive the run out of the Fraser, they have no data.

DFO Does not have data on ocean survival. Since they don't know if the smolts come out of the Fraser or not, they say ocean survival is Poor.

DFO is basing numbers on data from 2006. Since that was only 6 years ago, that data they feel is fine.

So DFO said in a round about way that they don't know a f*cking thing, and the only tool in the box is to cut a fishery that has an %11 impact in half..

Also,

DFO is convinced that there is no connection between the existance of oceanic fish farms and chinook mortality.

When asked, no explanation of why JDF Strait is the only area targetted for Fraser River chinook "directed" sportfishing restrictions and not other areas on the West Coast or the Gulf where these fish obviously migrate through.

It was one of the most pathetic things I have ever witnessed listening to this guy answer questions. He started every answer by saying "That is (another) a great question, " but proceeded, as expected, to not even come close to providing an answer. That was pure affirmation of a "puppet" trying to protect an absolutely corrupt and inept organization.

I doubt the motion to remove all top DFO officials will be acted on. DFO is like a fire department that disconnects the phone, locks the doors and closes the blinds and then says there there aren't any fires to fight because nobody of significance has let them know. Besides, if fires do happen, we will cordon off the are so nobody can see it. Maybe it's time we put pickets around DFO and blockaded fish farms. How about implementing an Orca program to train them to eat seals. Definitely a win-win there:)

Great turn out.
Lots of people from this Forum there. Also MLA's, Tourism represenatives and many other key people.
Good job. Thanks for coming out.

I found the meeting informative in some ways.

My feelings of the DFO incompetance was confirmed by the "scaling" of data from 2000-2006 with no current data, the fact that they have no idea where these fish are dying and also confirmed that they have no plan going forward as to collecting current data.
FN issues were mentioned briefly but rushed over as they obviously did not want to talk about it, have no control, no plan and are not dealing with it. With the 35% impact on the stocks of concern , you would think there would be more focus on this.
(Don't get me wrong I am in full support of the FN Food and Ceremonial fishing and even the right to sell a regulated amount but completely against the abuse of this right, the illegal sales and waste of unused fish. Also would like to see these proud FN people step up with some conservation efforts and self management)

2/3 of the room left at the intermission between salmon talks and halibut talks but I stuck around and my understanding of the SFAB support of the size limit on second halibut is better now and I am more comfortable with it. And as stated by SFAB the real issue is still the Allocation issue and this should not be forgotten. Conservation is not what shortens our season. Allocation does.
Also I have a better understanding of the voodoo math used to calculate our catch and found it interesting that SFAB is comfortable with the way this number is calculated. (I think mostly because it is irrelevent when we are still only getting 15% of the TAC)

There are some very passionate people and groups out there fighting for our fishery and putting some serious pressure on DFO and Gov.
Great that so many people came out to support. We need this at every meeting. Small amount of time for us to put in for the large amount of time we put in on the water.

Tips

My motion will never be acted on..but at least it is recorded and will be seen. It is a strong worded motion ment to convey how pissed we are and how determined we will get to make significant changes it they don't get their heads out of the asses.

My motion will never be acted on..but at least it is recorded and will be seen. It is a strong worded motion ment to convey how pissed we are and how determined we will get to make significant changes it they don't get their heads out of the asses.

I agree that this is important for them to hear how upset we are with them and that we have little faith in their upper management. It's funny because Lester made a comment about voting in favour of this when we had our hands up. I wonder how often these guys feel that their employer is failing. I know that Brad (the young guy at the dfo table) is a sportfisher and I believe he must understand what it feels like to be in our situation.

We need to video the waste in the FN fishery on the Frazer and on the public sales of Chinook. This needs to be done this coming season, the video will need to show and Prove that the fish been caught, sold or wasted are of these Chinook of Concern. Is Dome Creek the one near Prince George ? If so those fish must travel many miles past nets. Its about time we stood up to the FN, not in a fighting way. We all have rights as Canadian's. This **** of you having more rights than me needs to stop now, we are all Canadian's. As for my friends that are FN they support this move towards working together and all of us treated the same. If this discrimination against me as a Canadian continues its going to get really bad for all involved..

I saw our MP was there, nice of him to take a hard stand on our behalf. <sarcasm> I can't stand that guy, he never stands up for anything.... just there to do the time flying under the radar trying not to ruffle any feathers until he's able to collect his pension is all I see.

Back