Spoons big vs small

The "match the hatch" idea certainly has merit. For about a month four summers ago on Haida Gwaii, when we cleaned our salmon, we found that they were stuffed with 1-to-2" very-juvenile reddish rockfish. After the first time we saw that, I started running a cheap 3" New Zealand-made spoon called a Lucky Something-or-other that I'd brought back from Auckland because it looked like a slightly-obese needlefish, but with red scale-borders on the surface, and red fins. Dinner was served! The spoon significantly outfished any other hardware, and also bait. Interestingly, big springs would come virtually to the surface to take it trolled without a weight, or reeled up when there was a fish on the other line. After that month, production on that spoon fell off to insufficient to run it, and anchovies and cut-plug herring ruled supreme.

I noted above on this thread some speculations about salmon behavior that were based on observations made from looking at fish in an aquarium. I'd be skeptical about drawing many conclusions based on the behaviour of probably-tropical species of various degrees of aggressiveness in an environment that features a watching human head a tenth the size of the whole artificial habitat appearing at feeding time while food drops from the "sky"!

In contrast, I've had some opportunities while snorkeling and free-diving to observe schools of predator fish responding to trolled presentations under conditions that are far more real-life than an aquarium. On the Caribbean island of Bonaire, it's possible to snorkel with the current for miles along a pretty fishy coast. Over the course of a couple of weeks, we found that the pomfrets, permits, jacks and mackerel that were the principal schooling predators there were clustered in just three locations out of about 20 well-spaced snorkel-dive entry points spread over about 5 miles of coast. The fish became habituated to us as free-divers and even snorkelers very quickly, often schooling within reach, and the incredible water clarity made observation easy.

Granted we weren't observing salmon, but there were many similarities. The predators we were seeing were feeding on schooling bait, and on several occasions, boats trolled through using a rigged bait near the surface, so there were conclusions to be drawn. The first was that the biggest fish, permit in the +/- 20-pound range, hung just at the bottom of the schools of a couple of hundred mixed predators. The other permits, pompano, etc. were also sorted by size, with smaller individuals closest to the surface.

When the occasional troller came by, inevitably, unlike in an aquarium where the most aggressive feeder becomes the biggest fish, then bullies the rest, the smaller, faster fish were first to the bait. Fortunately for us, those trollers showed the same tendency as low-IQ trollers the world over, and when faced with miles of barren water punctuated with only three good locations, they rejoiced over their undersized chance catch for a few minutes, then zipped off on their fruitless way, rather than circle back over the feeding school. Bless their hearts!

When the strong longshore tidal currents started moving schools of bait, it was again the smaller fish that were first to respond, and their activity started to excite the schooling predators. One sign that the bait was in trouble was when the whole school of predators started defecating in virtual unison. Then they started hitting the passing balls of prey, again with smaller fish leading the charge. Only when the feeding was really in full progress did the bigger pompanos and permits get active. Interestingly, on a couple of occasions, when midsized individual barracuda tried to move in, even much smaller pompano would strike at the barracuda, driving them off.

Once the action of the small and medium fish had tightened the bait into large, tight balls, the big permit would slash up through them from below, circling back and down to pick up cripples to add to what they'd caught cleanly. That scattered the bait balls, until the quicker small predators could surround and reform them.

I drew a few conclusions that I think have given me some testable clues about trolling for springs. One is that big feeders are often stationed below the bait schools, be they herring, needlefish, or other juveniles, and they only stir their bulk when the target is worthwhile. Their tendency to swing back down after cripples means that if you have a wounded or dead-looking herring wobbling below a school of whatever bait, it has a good chance of getting whacked, and if it's a big herring, smaller salmon won't be able to ingest it. Another hypothesis is that since the smaller, quicker fish respond to a lure or bait first, circling back after a strike if you can do it without screwing up the traffic pattern pays rewards. More than anything else I've seen that influences trolling success, marking the spot when you get a strike, cutting back on long celebrations when you've landed that fish, and getting back to the bait as fast as possible to try for any tyees that got beat to the lunch is absolutely essential.

The "match the hatch" idea certainly has merit. For about a month four summers ago on Haida Gwaii, when we cleaned our salmon, we found that they were stuffed with 1-to-2" very-juvenile reddish rockfish. After the first time we saw that, I started running a cheap 3" New Zealand-made spoon called a Lucky Something-or-other that I'd brought back from Auckland because it looked like a slightly-obese needlefish, but with red scale-borders on the surface, and red fins. Dinner was served! The spoon significantly outfished any other hardware, and also bait. Interestingly, big springs would come virtually to the surface to take it trolled without a weight, or reeled up when there was a fish on the other line. After that month, production on that spoon fell off to insufficient to run it, and anchovies and cut-plug herring ruled supreme.

I noted above on this thread some speculations about salmon behavior that were based on observations made from looking at fish in an aquarium. I'd be skeptical about drawing many conclusions based on the behaviour of probably-tropical species of various degrees of aggressiveness in an environment that features a watching human head a tenth the size of the whole artificial habitat appearing at feeding time while food drops from the "sky"!

In contrast, I've had some opportunities while snorkeling and free-diving to observe schools of predator fish responding to trolled presentations under conditions that are far more real-life than an aquarium. On the Caribbean island of Bonaire, it's possible to snorkel with the current for miles along a pretty fishy coast. Over the course of a couple of weeks, we found that the pomfrets, permits, jacks and mackerel that were the principal schooling predators there were clustered in just three locations out of about 20 well-spaced snorkel-dive entry points spread over about 5 miles of coast. The fish became habituated to us as free-divers and even snorkelers very quickly, often schooling within reach, and the incredible water clarity made observation easy.

Granted we weren't observing salmon, but there were many similarities. The predators we were seeing were feeding on schooling bait, and on several occasions, boats trolled through using a rigged bait near the surface, so there were conclusions to be drawn. The first was that the biggest fish, permit in the +/- 20-pound range, hung just at the bottom of the schools of a couple of hundred mixed predators. The other permits, pompano, etc. were also sorted by size, with smaller individuals closest to the surface.

When the occasional troller came by, inevitably, unlike in an aquarium where the most aggressive feeder becomes the biggest fish, then bullies the rest, the smaller, faster fish were first to the bait. Fortunately for us, those trollers showed the same tendency as low-IQ trollers the world over, and when faced with miles of barren water punctuated with only three good locations, they rejoiced over their undersized chance catch for a few minutes, then zipped off on their fruitless way, rather than circle back over the feeding school. Bless their hearts!

When the strong longshore tidal currents started moving schools of bait, it was again the smaller fish that were first to respond, and their activity started to excite the schooling predators. One sign that the bait was in trouble was when the whole school of predators started defecating in virtual unison. Then they started hitting the passing balls of prey, again with smaller fish leading the charge. Only when the feeding was really in full progress did the bigger pompanos and permits get active. Interestingly, on a couple of occasions, when midsized individual barracuda tried to move in, even much smaller pompano would strike at the barracuda, driving them off.

Once the action of the small and medium fish had tightened the bait into large, tight balls, the big permit would slash up through them from below, circling back and down to pick up cripples to add to what they'd caught cleanly. That scattered the bait balls, until the quicker small predators could surround and reform them.

I drew a few conclusions that I think have given me some testable clues about trolling for springs. One is that big feeders are often stationed below the bait schools, be they herring, needlefish, or other juveniles, and they only stir their bulk when the target is worthwhile. Their tendency to swing back down after cripples means that if you have a wounded or dead-looking herring wobbling below a school of whatever bait, it has a good chance of getting whacked, and if it's a big herring, smaller salmon won't be able to ingest it. Another hypothesis is that since the smaller, quicker fish respond to a lure or bait first, circling back after a strike if you can do it without screwing up the traffic pattern pays rewards. More than anything else I've seen that influences trolling success, marking the spot when you get a strike, cutting back on long celebrations when you've landed that fish, and getting back to the bait as fast as possible to try for any tyees that got beat to the lunch is absolutely essential.
Super interesting insight

I don't think it's a stretch to say that I'm a professional and a recognized expert in the field of asking the guys at Harbour Chandler what's hot at the moment.

They always steer me towards smaller spoons than I would choose on my own. 3.0s are the hot ticket every time I ask.

I'd explain why but obviously my expertise comes at a price, so, um, I can't tell you in public like this.

But my belief is that their guys are in closer touch with effective tackle in the region than just about anyone, as they are probably supplying a lot of charter boats in addition to being fishing fanatics, and having access to any tackle they could possibly want.

For this reason I have gone to 3.0s and last year quadrupled my catch over the previous year.

Of course the previous year I was so busy I barely got out fishing, and caught one Chinook, total. The next year I caught four. Still, a 400% increase! If you include a few zeros after the decimal it's a 400.000% increase!

Can't argue with that kind of success.

Regarding the "learning about salmon from observing an aquarium" idea, I did have an aquarium-like opportunity to observe feeding coho that provided some insights into salmon feeding behavior. The location was a large, fast-flowing, crystal-clear creek in a remote area, with flows that a strong person in hip waders could just get across at the scattered tailouts. We were fishing the first big pool above tidewater in late summer, a rocky alder-shaded stretch about 120 feet long, 35 wide, and 10-15 feet deep, with a school of a couple of hundred bright coho staged up at the head waiting for some rain. Our first couple of "sneak-up" casts with spinners were successful, but after we landed those fish, there was no more action.

In those days roe was legal, and we always caught a big smokerful of late-summer pinks in the years they were available, then cured the roe for bait. I cast a normal-sized chunk of roe into the rapids above the pool, drifted it down into the big school of coho, and got one fish, but that ended the interest. After several fruitless casts where I could see the fish actively shunning the bait, I put on a really huge chunk of roe, and drifted it down through the school. I still got nothing, but as the roe got below the faster current and settled to the bottom halfway down the pool, a bunch of sculpins started attacking it, tearing loose individual eggs, agitating the wad, and releasing a cloud of milty-looking borax.

Suddenly a 12-inch Dolly came racing up from the tailwater to hit the wad, followed by another, and then another, and finally a jack turned from his position with the other coho at the head of the pool, raced the 50 feet to the roiling "milt" cloud, grabbed the roe, and got hooked. Given the generous limits of that period, especially regarding jacks, he was a welcome addition. Immediately, we both tossed out similar big hunks of roe, and since there were still sculpins and Dollies feeding on the scattered residue of the first piece, the action was instantaneous, resulting in two jacks getting hooked right after the sculpins and char started their attack. The next cast, instead of a jack, a big coho split off from the upstream school, raced down, and engulfed the roe, and as it tore up the pool, other big coho also started coursing up and down, eager to strike. They did. With lots of family due to arrive soon for extended stays, we were overjoyed to walk out packing a fine smokerload of fish!

A week later, under virtually identical conditions, we led my 80-year-old parents to sneak up on that same hole, and they immediately caught two nice coho on spinners. We outlined our foolproof roe procedure, then scrambled up over the rocks and rapids to try the rougher waters upstream while they enjoyed the easy first-pool action. When we returned to them after a couple of hours, we found them sitting beside those two coho they'd caught right away, looking very disgusted that we'd made them waste so much time looking longingly at a big school of fish that had show no intention of striking.

Since I'd described our roe method exactly, I was amazed that it hadn't worked. My Dad, with a rigid frugality firmly ingrained by the Depression, said they'd decided they'd just use small pieces of roe, because they "didn't want to waste it"! Without bothering to ask what other use he thought we might have for our pounds of cured pink roe, we started casting big pieces, and the familiar frenzy began. Rather than being frightened, the remaining coho got more voracious as their buddies got caught. Although we could have legally kept more than we could carry, we left the catching to the folks, and stuck to netting and packing their fish.

That experience reinforces my belief that it's often the smaller, quicker salmon that attack a presentation first, and then the interest works up to the bigger fish as the likelihood of feeding success increases. The final couple of large coho my parents landed had been agitated for a half-hour by seeing their hooked buddies leaping and streaking up and down that shallow pool of crystal-clear water, and by us yelling advice and netting fish, but once the frenzy started, the chaos actually stimulated the other fish to strike, rather than scaring them off. It's also worth noting that the "bite" didn't start in either case because of the time of day, state of the tide, or phase of the moon. It started because once their competitive spirit was initially aroused, the fish in the school, especially the bigger ones, were increasingly likely to amplify it.

It also indicates the advisability of changing your gear. Although on both days we were immediately successful when we first snuck up on that hole and presented our big Mepps spinners, we could have probably repeated that perfect presentation of those proven lures all day long with little or no result, while a little experimentation created a memory.

Matching the hatch??? In lakes it’s not exactly easy but with a little observation it’s manageable. On the shoreline flip a few rocks, out on the boat watch for shucks or actively emerging insects. Time of year or time of day always comes into play. After that it’s about hooking a fish or two and pumping the esophagus to hopefully get an idea of what’s being targeted.

Out on the ocean is a whole different ball game. Ya, it’s great when you have a network of fellow fishermen who share information but without that you tie on what you believe in and hope for the best.

99% of the time I tie on a ChilliSpoon and wait for the action to commence. My go to spoons are the BigBangTheory Glow in CottonCandy UV. And now that I’m not selling spoons I don’t have to feel bad about pimping my own wares.

Matching the hatch isn't exactly rocket surgery - I always look in the stomachs to see what fish are eating. Also the bait on the sounder gives a bit of intel as to what's in the neighbourhood and likely on the menu. After a few seasons fishing an area you can generally follow prior year patterns and be pretty accurate. I fish Barkley Sound and offshore. Bait and what the fish are feeding on is often very different from one location to another - even within a few miles. Big thing is being adaptable. If somethings not working, change up. I usually start with my go to stuff, and if that isn't working leave what I'm most confident will catch a fish on one side of the boat, and cycle through various gear choices on the other. Same approach with depth. I've found that by using a systematic approach cycling through the gear and depths I can generally find the ticket to success. Never hurts to have a network of buds who can fan out and try different places and gear - certainly pays to work as a team as opposed to a lone wolf.

What about a day where everyone is catching lots of fish but they're all undersized. Like November in Tunstall I couldnt keep them off the line but every fish was between 50 and 60 cm. Thinking back is there anything you could put down that would attract a larger keeper. Like a 6 inch spoon.
^Drop a 7 inch plug. Or at least a 6 inch spoon. They target bigger fish.

Matching the hatch isn't exactly rocket surgery - I always look in the stomachs to see what fish are eating. Also the bait on the sounder gives a bit of intel as to what's in the neighbourhood and likely on the menu. After a few seasons fishing an area you can generally follow prior year patterns and be pretty accurate. I fish Barkley Sound and offshore. Bait and what the fish are feeding on is often very different from one location to another - even within a few miles. Big thing is being adaptable. If somethings not working, change up. I usually start with my go to stuff, and if that isn't working leave what I'm most confident will catch a fish on one side of the boat, and cycle through various gear choices on the other. Same approach with depth. I've found that by using a systematic approach cycling through the gear and depths I can generally find the ticket to success. Never hurts to have a network of buds who can fan out and try different places and gear - certainly pays to work as a team as opposed to a lone wolf.
This is great explanation for how most of the experienced guides solve the daily riddle.
I use the same system as well as stacking a 3rd, shallow presentation (usually bait unless cohos or pinks are present)

Back