splicing or extending hali anchor rode

7Deuce

First of all let me say a couple things:

1) I know the topic of anchoring has been discussed at length. I did search for the answer in past forums but could not find this specifically.

2) I understand anchoring is not something to be messed around with. I have been out with several seasoned captains and learned as much as I can about the process. I'm sure I have lots to learn but I'm ready to try it myself.

A boat I purchased a while back came with a bunch of the components for making an anchor system. With the boat came a 15 or 20 lb Bruce style anchor, 30' foot of chain and approximately 250' of what I believe is a double braid poly rode. It's all in decent shape but used. I also have about 100' of strand line that came with a project that I've been hanging on to.

I believe I need about 250 more feet of rode to make a more useful set up. What would be the best way to get me more rode. Would a knot pass through the Scotchman ring? Is splicing the double braid poly commonly done?

Thanks for all the input!

If you are using a stainless ring on your Scotsman then just use a stainless clasp between the two lengths. It will easy pass through the stainless ring just as your anchor chain will as well. The ring will travel right up to the anchor and if the chain weight is more than the anchor it will stay there while you retrieve the slack rope.

I actually have my Hali anchor in 200' lengths (handy for reef jigging to usee only 200 or 400'). I have eye splices on the end and intertwine them. Never has any issue retrieving through the ring, and haven't noticed any excess fraying.

I talked with Moose at HC and he set me straight. I was misinformed on the cost of some of the components and when that was all cleared up I just bought 600' of rode and everything else I was missing. Didn't hurt nearly what I thought. Helps getting the right info.

Thanks for the feedback

Back