Splicing downrigger wire

scott craven

Anybody splice downrigger wire or is it worth doing ?
Small "technical error" saw me lose about 80' off one rigger
so... gun the remaining 120' or splice ?

I've thought about doing the same thing but never had the guts.
Is it worth it if the splice doesn't hold?
Also wondered how that splice would go through the pully. Could easily get hung up somewhere even for a micro second and at the speed the scottys travel at...could be scary.
Best bet would be to pick up the 400' roll at Wal-Mart for under $20 and you should be good for a couple/three years.
Or... bite the bullet and make the investment in braid. Havn't heard a bad thing about them yet.

I've been splicing wire for years without any problems. Different ways of doing it I'm sure, I don't really 'splice'it, just connect with crimps. The only issue might be the ends sticking out a bit to poke you.

To get the maximum strength from the splice you would have make a "long splice" in the line and with the small amount of strands available to you it would be tough , stainless is fairly brittle to splice , better to scrap it and put on 300 or 400 ft giving you a margin for technical errors in the future.

AL

I've spliced wire before with good luck but would recomend switching to braid. One quick knot and you're back in business.

I've been splicing for years as well. Haven't had a problem but I only do it when I'm in need of a fix. Once I get back and around the stores I usually pick up a roll or two. I may try the braided soon and see how that works.

RS, I saw your post about being sealed...I was out off the waterfront Saturday, beauty day, no fish for a few hours but then nice hit. Way out past Brotchie, nice fish 8-10 lbs 30 feet behind the boat and then outta nowhere sealed!! Not a nice way to finish the day...at least I saved my gear!

DF

Ive always just done the loop to loop connection with crimps. It goes through the pulley fine. I have had one of those connections slip out and lose the ball but i think that was just neglegence on my part for leaving it like that for a long time. It works but with the price of balls these days new cable is probably the smartest choice.

I always keep crimps on hand in case of emergencies,but considering the time it takes to splice a cable so it will last a season-it just doesn't beat Wallyworld's prices.

Oh and if it's new line that you broke-save it.Never dropped the ball more than 110 ft in the summer.

Back