Splicing cable ends on airmar transducers

SteelyDan

Can it be done? We have a p66 transducer with a garmin end on it and I'm thinking about upgrading to a larger lawrance unit. It would be ideal if a guy could get an adaptor to go from garmin to lowrance but I was thinking I might be able to splice in a Lowrance end on it. Has anyone done this or know if there is any adapters available?

That splice has a low probability of success. There are several light gauge wires int that cable... 4 or five probably, and while it might work initially, it won't be very durable. The only way it could be done is to cut off the Garmin connector and get a new set of pins for the Lowrance connector. Crimp the pins on the wires and then snap them into the connector housing. This requires the correct pins and the correct crimping tool. I am also assuming the Lowrance connector could be disassembled. Without going out to the boat I can't be certain. It may be a fully sealed connector... Actually, I think they are.

If your Garmin has a NMEA 2000 capability, you could
Eave it connected to the transducer, and network a second Lowrance unit to it. The Lowrance can get the sonar data from the network and you will have a second display for ur chart. If you boat configuration would benefit, you could move your older Garmin display to the aft where you can use it to watch you DR ball depth. It is very handy when setting gear.

Franko

MILF (Man, I Love Fishing)

I just spliced an HDS 10 into an old Raymarine airmar B44 through hull with no problem, call Mike at the chandler in Nanaimo and ask him to text you the wiring diagram for garmin to lowrance and when you buy your unit get the pigtail thrown in. You will need to solder the wiring and the easiest I found was to go to Can Tire and get the solder but splices that melt and seal with a heat gun. Took all of 10 min to do mine and works great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have cut every transducer cable I have ever owned so that I can pass the cable up through my mount tube and then easily route it forward up to the front helm. The plug wouldn't pass through the tube and would hang up trying to fish wire it to the front. I cut about a foot from the plug, then have Greg at Victoria Marine Electric solder and heat shrink it back together. Just cut the cable where it will not see any moisture or movement and it is not a problem.

Thanks guys. Its good to know i have that option. A little research on google shows that a company in the US called Gemeco I believe will make adaptor cables for airmar transucers so i might give them a call and see what they can do when the time comes.

Back