Spider Lake

H

hardyboy

Going up to Spider lake this weekend for the first time to do some fly fishing. Any suggestions on which flys to use and which part of the lake to fish will be helpful.

Thanks

Damn near anywhere this time of year. There have been a few black ants here and there, and the locals have been doing quite well at any of the creek mouths..

Mostly gear fishers, but I'll bet a wolly bugger, or anything the looks like a black and would go. Of course, the lake has the sh*t stocked out of it, so something that looks like a feed pellet maybe?

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

hey guys, what is this lake like in the later summer, i will be spending a week up in the bowser area and may try and get out there one or two days

I fished Spider Lake for the first time in the middle of summer...no bites...better in the springtime and falltime. Or early in the morning bite or evening bite would be a good suggestion in the summer.

where do you fish in horne lake? i have always wanted to try it as i have heard they have some cutties and the odd brown in there. also do u use gang trolls to get them?

Right about now a rusty hook will get them. Orange glitter powerboat cast from shore just about anywhere works well, gang trolls with worms do too. Small spoons for cuts "sort of" work on downriggers, but I'm far from the best guy there for getting them. My favorite three spots at Horne are:

The rivermouth by the "adventure" camp. Chucking powerbait/worms on the shallows is great when you can see them, if you can't or they are being tight-lipped, gang troll along the drop-off that starts roughly 100 feet out from the northern point of that bay.

The dock in front of our property. Along the north shore just underneath the "chimmeny" of the mountain. Very deep along there, trolling or just working along chucking bait works. The vast majority of the fish in that lake are just stocked rainbows that will eat anything.

The bay at the southwest end of the lake with all of the deadheads. I know guys who literally chuck worms/wedding bands along the rocks and stumps,but I like to go right into the bay where there are 5 creeks that feed it (3 on the map), and chuck powerbait or gulp putty onto the sand bars. You have to keep your boat farther away, what I do is chuck it, and watch for the bait to dissapear, you will see that long before you feel it, and drive the hook home.

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I watched a guy catch 4 in 20 min around 10 AM with a green dragonfly with silver threads

Dad caught a 20 inch 4 lbs but most were around 13 14 i would say

Hey everyone!

I haven't had a chance to fish Spider yet but am planning to do so before the end of the month. Can anyone tell me what the Bass fishing is like there, size and numbers, and maybe some tips on tackle selection?

Also, are there perch or sunfish in the lake? Thanks

There are no perch nor sunfish in the lake - I am not even sure if there are any bass left in the lake as we went there last Sunday (played hooky from church) and all we got for two guys fishing for 4 hours straight - one small 10 inch Rainbow. And only 3 nibbles prior to that and non after.

Too much feed in the lake.

Long rod, tight line

OK - there are fish in Spider Lake - went last Monday (a week ago) and we caught one trout and one bass - both keepers. Fished from shore for 5 hours with worms, Gulp, marshmallows, and even chucked some Mepps spinners. Slow fishing but they are in there. I guess there is so much natural bait they are not interested in anything else. Caught more bull than fish. But had fun!

Long rod, tight line

Back