Speedi Sleeve size

saanauk

Trying to figure out which speedi sleeve I need for my EZ Loader trailer spindle.
The diameter is 2.11 inches by .56 inches wide. Rough estimate on size due to putting.
Anyone familiar with these? Thanks.

Trying to figure out which speedi sleeve I need for my EZ Loader trailer spindle.
The diameter is 2.11 inches by .56 inches wide. Rough estimate on size due to putting.
Anyone familiar with these? Thanks.
Why are you putting a speedi-sleeve on an ez loader trailer?? I thought the seal surfaces were already stainless-at least every ez loader I've worked on-hence the main reason for buying one!

I just changed bearings and seals on my EZ Loader trailer. ( 2014 Single axle, 5500lb) In the seal area on mine it measured 2.120" and as Spring Fever noted it already had a stainless sleeve in the rear seal area which was in perfect condition on mine.

EDIT: I used Cdn Tire Calipers so don't take my measurement as gospel.

Last edited:
Why are you putting a speedi-sleeve on an ez loader trailer?? I thought the seal surfaces were already stainless-at least every ez loader I've worked on-hence the main reason for buying one!
Well this is an older trailer and one spindle is corroded and pitted. Trailer is in Juneau AK so limited resources there. It only gets towed a couple miles round trip (and only used 2-3 weeks per year) so trying to sleeve it vs buying and shipping a new axel up there.

As you say it is an older trailer. You may find you need to do more then just the seal. As you only need to move it a few miles every year, consider this. Sand down the spindle as best you can, pack the bearings, replace the seal, install bearing buddies, pump it full of grease, before going to the launch site, at the launch site, after launching the boat, before retrieving the boat and after retrieving the boat. Keep that seal covered in waterproof grease, don't be concerned about the seal leaking grease at the inner seal.
If you do find out which speedie sleeve you need you will likely need to get a machinist to fabricate an installation tool as they come with an installation tool that is too short. I have heard that you can use a piece of PVC pipe but that depends on the speedi sleeve dimensions. you might get lucky, Oh and consider ordering two.
I have installed speedie sleeves on large seal surfaces by heating the sleeve in boiling water to expand it and the slipping it over the seal area. This is a one shot deal though, if it shrinks onto the seal area before you want it to, you are sol.

Well this is an older trailer and one spindle is corroded and pitted. Trailer is in Juneau AK so limited resources there. It only gets towed a couple miles round trip (and only used 2-3 weeks per year) so trying to sleeve it vs buying and shipping a new axel up there.
I have used speedy sleeves on shafts turning 3,600 rpm, so you will be fine. You have received a lot of very good information from other members and I have nothing to add. You can use PVC pipe to install just don’t try to use a punch or screw driver.

Back