South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition Official Public Launch

Governor

We, the Directors of the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition (SVIAC), are proud to announce the launch of an exciting initiative to the angling community of South Vancouver Island. A new BC registered non-profitsociety has been created to help you.

SVIAC is a results-oriented angling advocacy organization purposed specifically to lobby government at all levels. Our efforts will bring pressure to bear upon government to protect and rebuild our highly-valued fresh and saltwater public fisheries around south Vancouver Island, ensuring there will be abundant healthy fish populations for thebenefit of today’s and tomorrow’s fishermen.

SVIAC’s mission is not to diminish inany way the valiant efforts of the many existing organizations, who’ve workedhard to achieve similar goals; rather, we are committed to breaking new ground and forming effective robust alliances in ourgoal to organize & tap theawesome might of our angling community into a unified, well-managed advocacyand lobby group.

The inaugural Board of Directorsand founding members have worked diligently together over the last several months to lay a rock-solid foundation for this new organization. We have crafteda mission statement with strategic objectives to guide us as we grow and build our membership into a powerful, cohesive Anglers Coalition. Our primary focusis to succeed in halting the troubling decline of our fisheries; for thatreason, we are hosting an official public launch event to share with you who weare, why we are here, and why we desperately need your support help build thisfledgling movement into an all-powerful Coalition of Anglers whose voices will be heard ‘loud & clear’ from Victoria, to Ottawa.

We cordially invite all south island anglers (salt & fresh water) to attend our public launch. The Anglers Coalition Face-Off Celebration event on Tuesday, Nov. 27[SUP]th[/SUP] (6:30pm) at the Four Points Sheraton Hotel (829 McCallum Rd. behind Costco)

Look forward to seeing you all at the meeting and bring all your fishing buddies!

We have a new website that's "under construction" at www.anglerscoalition.com - check it out :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Event:
............The Anglers Coalition Face-Off Celebration

When: ............Tuesday November27[SUP]th[/SUP] at 6:30 p.m.

Where: ..........Four Points by Sheraton Victoria Gateway Hotel, 829 McCallumRoad in Langford (behind Costco)

Event Agenda:

6:30 pm - Doors and cash bar open, visitor sign-in starts

7:00 pm - Introductions, recognition of sponsors

7:10 pm - A presentation about South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition
An introduction to the society and the inaugural Board of Directors
An introduction to the founding members,
Our vision, our mission and strategic objectives
Business plan and strategic objectives

8:10 pm - Intermission

8:30 pm - Sport Fishing Advisory Session
Report from the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Nov Victoria local SFAB committee mtg
Discussion about the halibut 2013 halibut season management
2013 salmon and halibut season outlook

9:30 pm - End of scheduled presentations, sponsor recognition and thank you

9:46 pm - Anglers Christmas cheer social continues

10:30 pm - Cash bar closes and event concludes

If you are fed up, pissed off, can't take it anymore about the sad state of recreational fishing on SVI as I am, then attend this meeting!!! Now is the time for rec. anglers to come together to support a non-profit group that is ALL about lobbying our local, provincial and federal govt's to recognize the vital economic and social importance of our sector. All the other interest groups have lobbyists influencing govt. now here is a new group dedicated to lobby on our behalf. Nothing stands in the way of it's success except YOUR level of involvement! Now it is time to walk the talk and show up and support the new SVI Anglers Coalition. Come and find out how this new group is organized and the plans it has for action - you'll be impressed. Tell all your friends and see you all there on Nov. 27th!

For those curious minds out there: be advised that several prominent people among the South Island angling community have given selflessly of their time and effort over the last few months to bring this initiative to fruition.

It has been designed to serve YOU - the South Island Angler - to ensure that both yours and your children's angling opportunities are ensured and respected by government and industry.

The success or failure of this initiative is incumbent on your participation and support.

So PLEASE get yer' butts out to this 'Face-off' rally and I'll look forward to meeting you all there!

Let's do this!

Howdy,

Just wanted to say that last nights event was a resounding success!

We enjoyed roughly a 60% recruitment rate thanks to all the guys who've worked so hard to put this together.
A special thanks to Chris Bos - whose captivating presentation held the audience hostage throughout.

I urge each and everyone of you to keep an eye on our - soon to be completed - website as we will have a mechanism therein for new-members to sign up.

Our strength will be rooted in both - a superior organization and numbers.

Thanks again to all who've helped put this together.

Press on Gentlemen!

This is long overdue. It's about time we, sports fishermen, had a single voice representing us. I'm sorry I was not able to make the meeting but future attendance will always be on my calendar. May this be the first step in the eventual control of sport fishing in and around Vancouver Island! Next comes stream/estuary enhancement, incubator boxes on every stream and a million dollar fishing derby every year! Proceeds to salmon enhancement!

I thought it was a well organized meeting and put out a strong message and got some people motivated. I also liked that fact that I won a Garmin Rino 610 gps/radio compliments of NFMG aka Gary Cooper.:)

I thought the meeting was a great success. I also feel that the only way we can make any changes to DFO is to band together as one large group and have a lobbyist work for the west coast. We need to rebuild our fish stocks and we need to take charge of our fishery from the the west coast not Ottawa. It will take a lot of money to get a good lobbyist or two to fight for the cause. I hope we can band together and climb this hill and make our self heard.

I thought it was a well organized meeting and put out a strong message and got some people motivated. I also liked that fact that I won a Garmin Rino 610 gps/radio compliments of NFMG aka Gary Cooper.:)

ahh so it was a rhino. I was telling my bf about it, lucky guy! I was sitting in front of you.

Thank you to Chris and the board for working so hard to put this together.

Fishtofino and others dont think because you dont live on south island this coalition wont impact you and feel you shouldnt join.
This will impact all of the pacific coast I would think and all canada as these water feed everyone. I am a broke butt person living on credit. I just got into fishing and bought my first boat and dont want to see our salmon disappear under the negligent blind eye of the dfo so became a member believing we are going to make people accountable. The other groups have to many political ties to voice there opinion loud and clear I feel. $40 is a drop in the bucket it amount of enjoyment we get for being out the water (and cost in fishing related costs). Think how much you will lose on your boat if tighter restrictions keep happening. Its the cost of a cannon ball. Please consider joining forces with us and let the anglers voice be heard, here and in Ottawa. We know time is ticking away and salmons days are numbered. We have to stop sitting around bitching to each other. This is the Coalition who is doing something, be apart of the solution. Anyone who has love for salmon no matter where you live.

:)

A great launch and a great turnout. It is clear to me that anglers are quickly become a force to be taken seriously when it comes to protecting and expanding our BC and Pacific fish populations, ensuring fair access to our fisheries and protecting the huge economic contribution that sport fishing brings to the economy of British Columbia.

We all owe a great deal to those who have given selflessly to found and serve on the board of SVIAC.

Now unless you are prepared to watch your boat sitting in your back yard collecting moss and answer your children’s questions as to why you can’t take them fishing, it is time to get out your wallet and buy a membership. Words are cheap; money and numbers make a difference.

I was proud to sign up! A great vision presented from people who really care and want to do the right thing. I had about 6-7 buddies who were interested and I'm willing to bet the same thing for nearly everyone in the room. I think the AGM will be an eye opener for all of us. I really enjoyed the ducks unlimited reference and I hope that kind of mountain can be climbed.

Back